Inter Miami FC Reveals Logo, MLS Expansion Club for 2020

Waffles

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bowld said:

Love the logo. Love the colors. Hate the name. 

Feel exactly the same way. Considering the absolute :censored: show getting this team off the ground has been, the visual identity is stunning. That said, I wanted Real Miami. Shout out to Utah for stealing both Real and Jazz from cities where they actually fit.

PJU85JF.png

4 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

I'm pleased to see that the original Internacional Club de Fútbol Miami was swapped out for Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami

That said, I did chuckle at one particular example of typically over-the-top marketing jargon in the official unveiling collateral. To wit...

"The sun's seven rays... symbolize the seven seas that bring people to Miami from the seven continents."

Yes, Miami has long drawn drawn scores of immigrants and visitors alike from... Antarctica??

That is pretty cheesy "marketing speak", but I agree with you and I think the majority of soccer fans when I say this is one amazingly well-done logo.  I am very happy they got the Spanish right and I am gearing up to buy myself a pink jersey.   Still rooting for NYCFC, but Miami has my respect, at least from a design standpoint. 

The more I see it and think about it, the more I like the herons/central shield and hate the outer ring. One problem here is that the club clearly has its intended common name to be Inter Miami CF, but the logo prints the long spelled out version, but but the word "Miami" along is so much more prominent than the rest of the text in the logo -- if that's going to be the case, just dump that extra text and the ring encapsulating it. I refuse to even read what the marketing copy explanation is for the ring. Just get rid of it and give that much more room to "Miami" and the birds.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

In case you were looking for the expected joyless takedown from Deadspin: https://deadspin.com/inter-miami-cf-continues-mlss-proud-tradition-of-barfy-1828828623

Billy's recommendation is to have called the team Miami FC, missing that such a team already exists.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

In case you were looking for the expected joyless takedown from Deadspin: https://deadspin.com/inter-miami-cf-continues-mlss-proud-tradition-of-barfy-1828828623

Billy's recommendation is to have called the team Miami FC, missing that such a team already exists.

Never take Deadspin seriously.  They’re nothing more than a snark reserve.  Read them for a laugh, sometimes, but never actually take them seriously. 

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Never take Deadspin Billy Haisley seriously.  They’re nothing more than a snark reserve.  Read them for a laugh, sometimes, but never actually take them seriously. 

There. Fixed.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Since Miami is the city I was born and raised in, I'll make an effort to be more objective.

Good things about the logo:

• Color scheme is unique! Black and pink adds a special kind of flair to MLS. There's also enough color balance with the black, pink, and white. Cant wait to see how they do the kits.
  • The Heron Legs forming a M together is also a nice touch.
  • The overall roundel shape w/ the shield works well. But...
  • Honestly, if you took the text out of the logo, its still unique! (opinion)

Not so good about the logo:

• The Name. Its a bit much. I still say, have a nickname but at least they recognize the majority of their audience being from latin america hence the name. I'll let it slide perhaps...
  • Another roundel logo though? I'm gonna have a hard time letting that slide though. I also would have complained if it was another shield so, I don't know how I feel. (I think i just talked myself into a circle...)
  • If the kits end up being black dominated, CFMiami (or InterMiami) will have a hell of a time playing in the heat & humidity. I hope that's not the case. 

The marketing speak is always ridiculous. It ruins the logo.

If I think of other things, I'll post.

1 hour ago, Pengin. said:

I love the design of the crest. I think the overall roundel logo looks good. But please stop making roundel logos! I also like the use of pink on the logo, hope it makes the jerseys as an accent

I hope the whole kit is pink!

Pink shirt!

Pink shorts!

Pink sock!

...Wait, scratch that last one.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Like the logo/crest.  The name, or at least the Inter/Internacional part needs to go unless I get a promise from team management that they will cheat financial rules, shave points, work actively with the mob, and have the players go down like they were shot whenever an opposing player gets within a foot of them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

15 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:
15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Never take Deadspin Billy Haisley seriously.  They’re nothing more than a snark reserve.  Read them for a laugh, sometimes, but never actually take them seriously. 

There. Fixed.

Right. There's actually quite a lot worthwhile on Deadspin, about on-field events, about the business of sport, and about various issues in sporting culture.

They give plenty of attention to the WNBA, which is nice to see.  Also, their coverage of the many recent college coaching horrors has been superb.

And they serve all of this with a massive dose of humour and snark. That site is a winner.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

11 hours ago, alxy8s said:

Feel exactly the same way. Considering the absolute :censored: show getting this team off the ground has been, the visual identity is stunning. That said, I wanted Real Miami. Shout out to Utah for stealing both Real and Jazz from cities where they actually fit.

I mean, Real only barely makes more sense in Florida than it does in Utah, which is to say, very little instead of none at all. Meanwhile there is no issue in describing Miami as ‘International’. All things considered it’s among the Euro-copying names that make the most sense

07Giants.pngnyy.png

8 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

I mean, Real only barely makes more sense in Florida than it does in Utah, which is to say, very little instead of none at all. Meanwhile there is no issue in describing Miami as ‘International’. All things considered it’s among the Euro-copying names that make the most sense

Yeah, Real never makes sense for an American club. There's no royalty in America. It wouldn't make any more sense in Miami than it does in Salt Lake.

"International" actually fits Miami to a tee. Having the name in Spanish does too. It's the unofficial capital of Latin America and has a huge Hispanic population. This name actually fits Miami like a glove, unlike most MLS names.

"International" is not THAT much better than "Real" to be honest -- the Internationals of Milan and Porto Alegre specifically picked those names in response to more xenophobic selection policies of crosstown rivals in their days as local sports clubs. Miami picked that name because it sounds cool and soccer-y. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

27 minutes ago, Digby said:

"International" is not THAT much better than "Real" to be honest -- the Internationals of Milan and Porto Alegre specifically picked those names in response to more xenophobic selection policies of crosstown rivals in their days as local sports clubs. Miami picked that name because it sounds cool and soccer-y. 

So you can only do something inclusive if it’s in response to someone else messing up? That doesn’t sound right.

I do think the name is a little forced, however I don’t think it’s as big of an issue as some of you are making it out to be. Are you the same people who get up in arms that teams use UNITED even though two clubs haven’t merged into one?

If Inter Miami’s target fanbase is largely diverse, then there’s no shame in tapping directly into that vein as they’ve done with their name and identity, regardless of how original it is.

Archived