Inter Miami FC Reveals Logo, MLS Expansion Club for 2020

Waffles

1 hour ago, GFB said:

So you can only do something inclusive if it’s in response to someone else messing up? That doesn’t sound right.

I do think the name is a little forced, however I don’t think it’s as big of an issue as some of you are making it out to be. Are you the same people who get up in arms that teams use UNITED even though two clubs haven’t merged into one?

If Inter Miami’s target fanbase is largely diverse, then there’s no shame in tapping directly into that vein as they’ve done with their name and identity, regardless of how original it is.

On your first point, you're taking a bit of a leap from my post. The classic use of "Internacional" in a team name had certain contexts, same as the use of "Real". Saying MLS has a shallow read of traditional soccer branding is not implying that a new club should ignore inclusivity. More that throwing "Inter" in your name doesn't tick off the inclusivity box, tbh.

On that beat, interesting that Montreal Impact haven't come up in this thread. A long-standing team (sorta) with a multi-lingual fanbase that's been modestly successful off the pitch. "Impact" has that corny 90s MLS vibe but, as a word that works in English and French, is ideal for cultivating this sort of brand, in a way that doesn't feel cheap or borrowed or too on-the-nose. And ironically that comes with the kits that rip off Inter Milan.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Digby said:

"International" is not THAT much better than "Real" to be honest -- the Internationals of Milan and Porto Alegre specifically picked those names in response to more xenophobic selection policies of crosstown rivals in their days as local sports clubs. Miami picked that name because it sounds cool and soccer-y. 

Well, first of all, there's a long tradition of picking a name "because it sounds cool and soccer-y."  That's how we ended up with "Manchester United", after all.  So I don't agree that there's a problem there.

Second of all, the argument can be made that this national political climate is directly analogous to the situations you mention, and the Miami club is making a direct and deliberate outreach to their community, just as Milan and Porto Alegre were.

As part of the announcement, the club paid for a four-page wraparound ad section in yesterday morning's Miami Herald.

DmXdhM_U0AAO9Jv.jpgDmX2lSvUYAA2JHs.jpg

That ad has been saved as a PDF if anyone is interested.  Personally, I find the ad itself leans too heavily on the silly marketing-speak, but I think it's a great campaign to get the word out. 

It's also a great reminder of what a unique color can do.  The Sounders' green, NYCFC's sky blue, Houston's orange.  Now InterMiami's pink.  If you can own a bright, unique color, there's a lot you can do with it.  For that reason alone, I really hope their shirts are pink.

12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Well, first of all, there's a long tradition of picking a name "because it sounds cool and soccer-y."  That's how we ended up with "Manchester United", after all.  So I don't agree that there's a problem there.

Second of all, the argument can be made that this national political climate is directly analogous to the situations you mention, and the Miami club is making a direct and deliberate outreach to their community, just as Milan and Porto Alegre were.

And I'd be pretty skeptical of that argument for a whole laundry list of reasons, if anyone is actually making it!

Look, I know it's purely a matter of personal preference, but I think they've done really well with their visual identity to come up with something that's both true to Miami and unique in the wider landscape, and I just think the name is a wholly expected swing and a miss on at least one, probably both of those qualities.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

On your first point, you're taking a bit of a leap from my post. The classic use of "Internacional" in a team name had certain contexts, same as the use of "Real". Saying MLS has a shallow read of traditional soccer branding is not implying that a new club should ignore inclusivity. More that throwing "Inter" in your name doesn't tick off the inclusivity box, tbh.

On that beat, interesting that Montreal Impact haven't come up in this thread. A long-standing team (sorta) with a multi-lingual fanbase that's been modestly successful off the pitch. "Impact" has that corny 90s MLS vibe but, as a word that works in English and French, is ideal for cultivating this sort of brand, in a way that doesn't feel cheap or borrowed or too on-the-nose. And ironically that comes with the kits that rip off Inter Milan.

Here’s the thing though: the name “Inter/Internacional” Miami only feels cheap to you because you’re entrenched in this view that these traditional soccer names only refer to their original historical contexts. But I would argue that these traditional names like Sporting/Real/Inter/United/City/FC have evolved past their original meanings and taken on fluid meanings as the game of soccer has grown and fans have latched onto teams and clubs that they had no previous attachment to.

For example, imagine that 100 years from now Red Bull New York becomes one of the 20 biggest soccer clubs in the world and has Cristiano Ronaldo V at striker. They win the Club World Cup three times and the other Red Bull clubs like RB Leipzig, Salzburg, and Brazil also find success. The only issue is that Red Bull as a company folds in the year 2065... they sell off the clubs to private buyers to cover their debts, but at this point the club’s identities are so successful and valuable, the new owners choose to keep the names and branding. Eventually, people stop remembering that Red Bull made energy drinks and only associate them with soccer teams. 

Now in this fictional scenario, the African Nations Premier League is founded in 2093 and in 2118, Botswana is awarded a franchise in Gaborone. Because they want the team to appear to fans as a true high level team, they take the name RB Gaborone. The only connection to the name Red Bull is that there is a literal red bull on the national coat of arms of Botswana; but the name sounds professional and is close vision the team has for its identity.

When RB Gaborone chooses this name, are they referencing Red Bull the company? I mean, that’s the original context right? Or, are they referencing the 100 years of prestige that other soccer clubs with the name RB have achieved since and they now look to emulate?

Discounting the name “Inter/Internacional” as cheap or lazy just because it doesn’t fit the historical context or that it’s borrowed or inspired from something else and not seeing what they’re attempting to do with it (like the Spanish name on the team’s crest) isn’t fair. 

1 hour ago, Digby said:

And I'd be pretty skeptical of that argument for a whole laundry list of reasons, if anyone is actually making it!

Okay, then let's talk about that.  Because I'm outright saying that "it sounds cool and soccer-y" has been a reason for choosing club names going back more than a hundred years. 

And signaling today to the community that the club wants an international focus is every bit as legitimate as choosing it in 1908 to signal to players that they're welcome to play.

Completely off the subject, but there's still a real chance (albeit decreasing by the day) that MLS Nashville, or at least the stadium, doesn't get going. The mayor is still fighting every way he knows how to make MLS and more specifically the stadium happen, but it's not yet the clear slam-dunk some may perceive it as (mostly due to some community opposition concerning the land the proposed site is to sit on).

Back on topic...

Now that I've had a chance to let all this process....

- IMCF (or however they choose to abbreviate this club name) wins on color scheme alone. The great thing about the shade of pink they've chosen is that first, pink itself is a unique color (that also is gaining much ground in the pro sports landscape--see Blue Wahoos, Pensacola for further evidence), and secondly, it's bright enough to be noticeable but also just muted enough to not be overbearing, as if to say, "hey, it's pink" but not scream it out "HEY--I'M PINK!!!!12334"--know what I mean?

- Speaking of that, being that the crest (which I have not stopped studying for about a solid well now) is so black-heavy, I'm half-expecting a home kit a la the LAFC primary--black-on-black with pink trim--but with pink socks. As for the change kits... I'm personally hoping for a white/pink tonal crest, white shirt with pink trim, with pink shorts and socks with white trim--no black. Although they could just as sure do it the other way around with pink shirt/white shorts and socks. Either way, I don't think they can go wrong. (And I may or may not be tempted to cop one if they indeed release a pink shirt...)

Now, having said all that...I gotta address this crest marketing speak.

[rant mode] I know what I'm about to say may well ruffle many a feather within the design community--and I say this as a former professional graphic artist myself--but I just do not believe that people/teams/clubs/artists really need to justify every single little detail of a crest or logo! Seriously...and again, I know this may go against the grain, but I really believe, even with all the sociographic factors involved, that sometimes "because it looks cool/best that way" is good enough. I mean, I read that crest explanation and found myself cringing at a lot of that. I mean, really...a justification for the circle? (I don't immediately recall what they said that was for.) No...you used a circle because your club has a long name and that's the most ideal shape to encaspulate that name into. That's perfectly fine. And then the shield...most basic shields only have three points; yet they say "the three points represent the three counties". WHAT?! Miss me with that. Now as far as the other details, such as the sun/eclipse, and of course the herons (although even some of the explanation of the herons went a little overboard) and their legs forming an "M" (probably my favorite aspect of the whole package)...those are gravy; I love those. But with the rest of that, man...cut it out. It's almost as if they're justifying stuff after the fact and shoehorning it in. With me, sometimes, "because it looks good that way" is good enough for me. There is such a thing as "overexplaining" and definitely "overthinking" things--that may well be a source of creative block for many designers. I know it was for me. [/rant mode]

In summary...this entire identity wins in every way there is to win, and I look forward to seeing it unveiled and playing out live. I haven't been this excited for a new identity to emerge in a long time--something to press the envelope a little bit yet still remain classy and, dare I say, even timeless all at the same time.

Good on y'all, Inter Miami!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Okay, then let's talk about that.  Because I'm outright saying that "it sounds cool and soccer-y" has been a reason for choosing club names going back more than a hundred years. 

And signaling today to the community that the club wants an international focus is every bit as legitimate as choosing it in 1908 to signal to players that they're welcome to play.

Given that "Inter Miami" was the strong rumor for years, and that David Beckham's always been more of a Michael Jordan than a LeBron James vis-a-vis his platform, business and politics... I have a hard time believing the "current political climate" theory. 

Miami being pretty international and MLS needing Inter on its cliched name bingo card is enough explanation for me, I just don't think it's a compelling enough one to be a smash hit.

4 hours ago, GFB said:

Here’s the thing though: the name “Inter/Internacional” Miami only feels cheap to you because you’re entrenched in this view that these traditional soccer names only refer to their original historical contexts. But I would argue that these traditional names like Sporting/Real/Inter/United/City/FC have evolved past their original meanings and taken on fluid meanings as the game of soccer has grown and fans have latched onto teams and clubs that they had no previous attachment to.

For example, imagine that 100 years from now Red Bull New York becomes one of the 20 biggest soccer clubs in the world and has Cristiano Ronaldo V at striker. They win the Club World Cup three times and the other Red Bull clubs like RB Leipzig, Salzburg, and Brazil also find success. The only issue is that Red Bull as a company folds in the year 2065... they sell off the clubs to private buyers to cover their debts, but at this point the club’s identities are so successful and valuable, the new owners choose to keep the names and branding. Eventually, people stop remembering that Red Bull made energy drinks and only associate them with soccer teams. 

Now in this fictional scenario, the African Nations Premier League is founded in 2093 and in 2118, Botswana is awarded a franchise in Gaborone. Because they want the team to appear to fans as a true high level team, they take the name RB Gaborone. The only connection to the name Red Bull is that there is a literal red bull on the national coat of arms of Botswana; but the name sounds professional and is close vision the team has for its identity.

When RB Gaborone chooses this name, are they referencing Red Bull the company? I mean, that’s the original context right? Or, are they referencing the 100 years of prestige that other soccer clubs with the name RB have achieved since and they now look to emulate?

Discounting the name “Inter/Internacional” as cheap or lazy just because it doesn’t fit the historical context or that it’s borrowed or inspired from something else and not seeing what they’re attempting to do with it (like the Spanish name on the team’s crest) isn’t fair. 

I mean... Bravo for the fan-fic. Though the idea of Red Bull becoming soccer's Green Bay Packers origin story is a bit corporate dystopian for me!

But I think we take different things from this parable, anyway! I think Gaborone should play soccer that honors the greats of history but under a banner of its own identity. Sure, Inter or Sporting or whatever has evolved from its early meanings, I just don't know that that's a GOOD thing. Does it matter that Sporting Kansas City doesn't have a full stable of other teams in other sports? Maybe it doesn't, but I don't think that makes Sporting a good name by default. 

19 minutes ago, Buc said:

- IMCF (or however they choose to abbreviate this club name) wins on color scheme alone. The great thing about the shade of pink they've chosen is that first, pink itself is a unique color (that also is gaining much ground in the pro sports landscape--see Blue Wahoos, Pensacola for further evidence), and secondly, it's bright enough to be noticeable but also just muted enough to not be overbearing, as if to say, "hey, it's pink" but not scream it out "HEY--I'M PINK!!!!12334"--know what I mean?

- Speaking of that, being that the crest (which I have not stopped studying for about a solid well now) is so black-heavy, I'm half-expecting a home kit a la the LAFC primary--black-on-black with pink trim--but with pink socks. As for the change kits... I'm personally hoping for a white/pink tonal crest, white shirt with pink trim, with pink shorts and socks with white trim--no black. Although they could just as sure do it the other way around with pink shirt/white shorts and socks. Either way, I don't think they can go wrong. (And I may or may not be tempted to cop one if they indeed release a pink shirt...)

I'm thinking all-white primary kits are the no-brainer. It's very Miami, it ties in with Beckham's Real Madrid years, and the crest will pop like crazy. They can own pink, even as an accent color -- similar to how quickly LAFC owned gold without having a gold item of clothing anywhere in the kit room.

7 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Do we know the advertisement Inter Miami is going with? Or does that come when the kits are revealed?

Most likely part of the same announcement.  That’s what delayed the LAFC shirt unveiling this spring, waiting until they had a sponsorship deal. 

On 9/5/2018 at 10:51 PM, Brian in Boston said:

I'm pleased to see that the original Internacional Club de Fútbol Miami was swapped out for Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami

Just in case there are no Spanish speakers in here, I'd like to highlight something: While Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami is better than Internacional Club de Fútbol Miami, it is still not flawlessly grammatically correct. 

Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami does not translate into International Football Club, as you'd assume is the intention. It translates into International Club ... of Football. There is a reason they want to have CF in their "short form". 

On 9/6/2018 at 1:01 PM, Gothamite said:

So with the addition of Miami, this is what MLS will look like. Not pictured are Nashville and Cincinnati, which have yet to unveil their colors/logos.  And this graphic presumes a pink Miami shirt, which may be just wishful thinking on my part.

EPFGhBI.png

The MLS has to have the most diverse group of team colors in American pro sports right? Yes there is still lots of blue and red, but it just seems more unique than the other leagues. They are missing a teal team though.

7 hours ago, Lee Noire said:

The MLS has to have the most diverse group of team colors in American pro sports right? Yes there is still lots of blue and red, but it just seems more unique than the other leagues. They are missing a teal team though.

The NFL is at least in the conversation, but it's hard to really judge since they have more teams.

Historically, I would put the NFL right up there.  Thanks to some really unique color combinations like Miami and Washington. With the large number of teams adopting navy, I’m not so sure anymore.  I think MLS has surpassed them, especially if Miami does indeed adopt a pink shirt.  

On 9/6/2018 at 12:23 PM, Gothamite said:

That would be a pretty weak argument. In one of the most international cities in the world (well before Trump), for one of the most international sports in the world (well before Trump, and it's not like the rest of MLS is a bunch of xenophobes), and owned by one of the most famous international icons (well before Trump)...there's probably zero chance it has anything to do with US politics. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Historically, I would put the NFL right up there.  Thanks to some really unique color combinations like Miami and Washington. With the large number of teams adopting navy, I’m not so sure anymore.  I think MLS has surpassed them, especially if Miami does indeed adopt a pink shirt.  

I forgot that Columbus is going away. Losing the yellow team hurts my last statement. NFL might be ahead in that regard, but you’re right, primary pink is a trump card.

Archived