Chief Wahoo’s Last Season

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there was a report the Indians are working on a new secondary logo for 2020, but I’m curious to see what they do for 2019. Are they just taking Wahoo off the sleeves of the current uniforms and sticking with the two Block C hats, or are they rolling out anything new? Maybe a new Block C hat with a navy crown and a red brim?

4 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

I know there was a report the Indians are working on a new secondary logo for 2020, but I’m curious to see what they do for 2019. Are they just taking Wahoo off the sleeves of the current uniforms and sticking with the two Block C hats, or are they rolling out anything new? Maybe a new Block C hat with a navy crown and a red brim?

My friend and I said being this logo back...k3qoizdk7d3im5qa7aguuds2g.png

But seriously, if they get a new logo in 2020, make it the primary and have the C go to secondary. I hate the C with a burning passion because it's just bland.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

5 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

Isn’t that just the same as current with white outline?

Yes. But with a navy crown and red bill. Plus the block C looks so much better with a white outline.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

12 hours ago, PittsburghSucks said:

They're wearing a 2019 MLB All Star Game patch next season. New sleeve logo in 2020. They should bring back the late 70s early 80s block C hat.

I agree.  I tend to like the absence of white.  But it's not working here.  Something funny about the contrast between the red and blue.  The hat with the white outline was basic, but it worked. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

A Look Back at the Indians Chief Wahoo Logo

October 9, 2018 - 14:08 PM

Chief Wahoo is history. The controversial logo which has been the primary brand of Cleveland’s Indians for the better part of the last seventy years made its final on-field appearance Monday afternoon; the team swept out of the ALDS at […]

Read More...

I love the script I, and while the block C is uninteresting, it's innocuous and inoffensive - in other words ideal for a team trying to gracefully work toward a rebrand.

I hope beyond hope they roll with Spiders.  That would be gnarly.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Per rules, we have to ignore some of the content of this article.  That said, it was interesting, particularly as another example of how organically some team names came about during that time.  I never knew the Spiders were unofficially dubbed "Indians" at the time, nor that the Indians name was an unofficial part of the current franchise from day 1.  

Another thing I'll say that maybe is common knowledge but I'd never thought of is that Wahoo was facing forward year one and they won the World Series (I knew that).  So did the head turn for the next 70 years because of that championship; i.e., because he was looking at the crown?

Good riddance.  Even if I was not put-off by the less-than-respectful depiction, it's a silly logo, anyway.  (Of course I say this as someone who hates cartoon birds and dolphins wearing helmets).

For the future...I don't think the name is going anywhere.  And if they're going to be called the "Indians" then there's no "PC" reason to not use the "I."  That said, I like a "C" better (I default to city over nickname letters).  I like the early 1980s "C."  The current hats have lacking contrast and the blue and red sort of mess with my eyes. I'd suspect, they'll go with the "C" for a while and have a fairly significant update in a few years...and I doubt they'll enter into any native imagery lightly.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

37 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Here's a interesting idea that I saw posted on the twitter post of the article:

The uniforms work, but are they suggesting adopting the name Buckeyes too? I don't think that would fly with Ohio State owning that name. 

Whatever they do, I really really hope they don't put the block C on the jersey sleeve. Either come up with a new logo that works for the sleeve or just leave it blank. 

T1oYViW.png

26 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

It’s weird to me that people on here regularly call for white strokes to be removed from uniforms (“It’s not needed anymore! We have HD TVs!”), and yet it’s the exact opposite for the Indians’ Block C hats.

Generally I want white to be removed when it’s an outline on the gray road jersey. I think the Yankees and Phillies would look better without. I feel the opposite of the red letter against navy background - white would make it better. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived