Chief Wahoo’s Last Season

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/7/2018 at 11:31 AM, Mac the Knife said:

If you're going to blow it up, blow it all the way up.  

Cleveland Spiders.  Purple, black and orange color scheme - mix some Colorado Rockies with a little Baltimore Orioles.

Did a rough mock-up of your idea, using logos and wordmarks from various recent "Redesign the Tribe" contests.

Spiders_template.png

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Did a rough mock-up of your idea, using logos and wordmarks from various recent "Redesign the Tribe" contests.

Spiders_template.png

I hadn't really thought about how it would look, but I suppose I'd imagine a purple hat with a black spider in the middle, outlined with just a whisp of white outline, with alternating purple and black visors.  But when it comes to jersey options they could really have fun with it:  a true 70's-Pittsburgh Pirates style mix-and-match set featuring a white jersey, a purple one and an orange one, with either black, white or even grey pants (I specifically exclude purple because, as much as purple is my favorite color, the thought of a monochrome purple set makes even me blanch).

nav-logo.png

On 9/8/2018 at 3:35 AM, MJWalker45 said:

The worst team in MLB history should not be brought back.

Agreed, but why are we talking about the Mets in this thread?

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

On 9/7/2018 at 12:31 PM, Mac the Knife said:

If you're going to blow it up, blow it all the way up.  

Cleveland Spiders.  Purple, black and orange color scheme - mix some Colorado Rockies with a little Baltimore Orioles.

I grew up in Indians territory.  The team hasn't won a WS in 70 years.  Their history is such that it caused the "Major League" movies to be made.  Go ahead.  Blow it up and start anew.  What do you have to lose?

At the same time, it's still a franchise with a lot of history that has been truly competitive recently, so it isn't as if they have NOTHING to lose.

Going with Spiders and changing the scheme to look Halloween spooky comes off pretty minor league to me. I still haven't really seen a concept that suits the franchise, even though I'm in favor of a name change.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:47 AM, McCarthy said:

All my thoughts on this for the 49th time:

- the block C sucks. Just because they can't use Chief Wahoo doesn't mean they need to go the other way and avoid having any identity at all.  

I've never thought of it this way, but the block C almost seems like "FINE if we can't have Wahoo then I guess we have to have THIS as the logo" all the while knowing the block C is boring.

Agreed, the block C is too bland. But it doesn't mean they have to have something bland just because they can't have Wahoo.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I think it would be interesting if they just blew the whole thing up and start fresh with Spiders.  I do find it odd there isn't a true red/black team in MLB right now. They could really own that color scheme and actually tie into some history of the game too.  Ok so the name after 100 or so years is associated with "the worst MLB team in history".  Ok.  Last year a professional football team went 0-16.  a few years back another one did too.  Don't think those teams scrambled to change their names to disassociate with those bad seasons. 

if anything, it can be used to showcase the early early early years of the National League and become a connection to the pre-MLB days

There's some really good traditional style concepts that can be done for Spiders that doesn't dip into the "wacky" of MiLB. Richmond is the Spiders and they seem to keep it pretty tasteful.  It'd be a unique name in the majors and could really set the stage for a "new era" type of rebirth for the franchise.

This was a good thread while it lasted. Oh well. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/7/2018 at 4:14 PM, crashcarson15 said:

Now, pivoting to moderator hat, I'd like to remind the community of one of our rules:

I think we've done well so far in this thread, but in the interest of forum policy, I think we should strive to avoid discussing two things:

• Whether or not removing Chief Wahoo as a team logo is appropriate
  • Whether or not the Indians should take a new nickname

Both those items are covered under the blanket ban the boards have, but I think this can be a good place for discussion around:

• What the Indians should do to their identity after Chief Wahoo is removed
  • If the Indians were to change their name, what would a good alternate identity be?

^I'm struggling to see why a particular user felt that this was merely a suggestion. When a mod says "hey guys, don't do this, it's against one of our forum rules" it's best not to ignore that.

To reiterate what crash said...DO NOT make this about the political and cultural issues surrounding Wahoo. Is that a conversation worth having? Yeah, but sadly we've had to ban it on our forums because it's a topic some cannot discuss in a way that meets the standards of decorum Chris, the admins, and the mods would like to maintain.

And so, until otherwise noted by management, it's something we're going to continue to discourage. Please read crash's post I quoted, and use it as a guideline going forward.

This thread was going pretty well, as BBTV pointed out, until it got derailed. I'm hopeful we can pick right back up.

So the Cleveland Indians are a team with a lot of history. A good chunk of which predates Wahoo. They're a charter AL club, and I'm not sure they need to lose the entire identity just to ape the Spiders' name (the two teams are actually unrelated aside from a shared locale).

A plain block C would certainly be underwhelming for most clubs, but I think it works for a team with the history the Indians have. @andrewharrington's post earlier is a great example of why.

Is the block C the best option? I'm not sure. I know it's not terrible. If the Indians just decided to go with the block C and never used anything else? That would be fine with me. A perfectly appropriate, if somewhat underwhelming, logo.

And you know what? I'm fine with the team being called the Cleveland Indians while using a block C for all of those reasons. They're a team that's old enough to justify both a very simple logo and an identity that doesn't feature a literal depiction of the team nickname.

I apologize for breaking thread rules. I got a little peeved.

Anyway, here’s a fun idea for a different “C” logo: the fancy block “C” variants that the Negro League Cleveland Buckeyes used.

s-l640.jpg

Size-6-7-8-Cleveland-Buckeyes-1948-Negro

The AL club used a similar logo from 1921-36 (and again in 1941).

8276_cleveland_indians-cap-1921.png

1553_cleveland_indians-jersey-1922.png

While I like the Block C, the Fancy Block C is a fantastic alternative.

1325204.1_434x.progressive.jpg?v=1523055

I still like this hat best (though the squatchee should be red to match the bill but other than that). There are just enough details (the outline, the wideness of the letter, the rounded inside corners versus sharp-angled outside corners) to make it an interesting enough monogram that the current block C lacks, which could have been typed right out of Sports Font Serif.ttf.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Indians remind me of the Jaguars.

Their logo they used until this year was a tacky caricature from the 40's (not tacky cause of political reasons, just tacky overall, orioles is also one who is almost as tacky but I guess its enduring) and now went in the complete opposite direction and now have such a generic boring "C" logo.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I apologize for breaking thread rules. I got a little peeved.

Anyway, here’s a fun idea for a different “C” logo: the fancy block “C” variants that the Negro League Cleveland Buckeyes used.

s-l640.jpg

I think of the different options you posted, this one is the best. 

Archived