Mac the Knife

Bye Bye, Baby Cakes - The Great American AAA Shell Game

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Wings said:

I know New Orleans won't relocate until 2020 or 2021 but did the ownership inquire about using Wichita State's Eck Stadium until a new ballpark is built so they could relocate sooner?

 

 

I know the National Baseball Congress World Series, who has played in Wichita since 1935, will be moving to Wichita State for at least next year. I had heard that New Orleans planned to honor their lease and move when it expires. If they do move early Eck Stadium might fit the bill temporarily, not sure how the PCL would feel about playing on an all turf infield. I know Hillsboro Hops of the Northwest League plays on one but I cant think of any other minor league teams that have this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

I know the National Baseball Congress World Series, who has played in Wichita since 1935, will be moving to Wichita State for at least next year. I had heard that New Orleans planned to honor their lease and move when it expires. If they do move early Eck Stadium might fit the bill temporarily, not sure how the PCL would feel about playing on an all turf infield. I know Hillsboro Hops of the Northwest League plays on one but I cant think of any other minor league teams that have this.

 

They certainly do. I usually go to about 5 or 6 Hops games a year. Mostly against Salem-Keizer or Eugene. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hudson Valley Renegades have all turf field as well. So, too, does the West Virginia Black Bears. Also of the NYPL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the Cyclones converted to turf a few years back, they did the entire playing surface, fence to fence.  Do the other NYP teams play on a brown-colored turf infield instead of dirt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always assumed New Orleans would snag a Southern League team (probably Jackson), but would a Texas League team be an option?  Looking at the league , the only one I can think of would be Midland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2018 at 4:07 AM, Bucfan56 said:

 

Unrelated, but I wish more teams did this. I’ve always had this dream where the A’s minor league teams we’re the B’s, C’s, and D’s. 

 

>A's class A-advanced team is currently the Stockton Ports

>Stockton Ports play in the California League

>A's rebrand all minor league teams like Bucfan's dream

>Stockton is 3rd level from majors, so they become the Stockton D's

>Closest California League team to Stockton: Modesto Nuts

>Headline when two teams play: D's-Nuts

>GOTEEM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 12:21 PM, AstroBull21 said:

I always assumed New Orleans would snag a Southern League team (probably Jackson), but would a Texas League team be an option?  Looking at the league , the only one I can think of would be Midland

 

I don't think a Texas League franchise will replace the Triple A Baby Cakes in New Orleans.

* As a market, New Orleans would fit better in the Southern League's territorial footprint than it would in the Texas League.

* The Midland, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area (pop. 170,675) and Midland-Odessa, TX Consolidated Statistical Area (pop. 251,842) are larger than the Jackson, TN MSA (pop. 129,235) and Jackson-Humboldt, TN CSA (pop. 160,398). Further, the population of the Texas statistical areas is growing, whereas that of the Tennessee statistical areas is shrinking.

* The Odessa-Midland, TX television market is the 144th-largest amongst Nielsen DMAs, with 153,830 television homes. The Jackson, TN television market is the 177th-largest Nielsen DMA, with 85,540 television homes. According to Nielsen radio market statistics, Odessa-Midland ranks 164th, with 266,200 listeners over the age of 12. The same Nielsen radio statistics have Jackson, TN ranked 277th, with 82,400 listeners over the age of 12.

*  Midland's attendance numbers have historically been much better than what the Jackson Generals / West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx have drawn. 

Bottom line? I have to believe that the suits at MiLB headquarters would rather see a New Orleans-based franchise replace Jackson, TN at the Double A level than Midland, TX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

 

>A's class A-advanced team is currently the Stockton Ports

>Stockton Ports play in the California League

>A's rebrand all minor league teams like Bucfan's dream

>Stockton is 3rd level from majors, so they become the Stockton D's

>Closest California League team to Stockton: Modesto Nuts

>Headline when two teams play: D's-Nuts

>GOTEEM

 

This is BRILLIANT. We should pool our money together to buy the A’s and make this happen. I’m sure we’ve all got enough change laying around to make the sale happen 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 7:29 AM, sohiosportsfreak said:

I'm going to miss that drooling meth-fiend baby.

 

The Saints or Pelicans need to make him a second mascot lol!

I think the pelicans have that covered, new-orleans-pelicans-king-cake-baby.jpg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I think the pelicans have that covered, new-orleans-pelicans-king-cake-baby.jpg?

 

Schweichheimer as a minor league ballclub owner was so cheap, he kept the previous Nutria mascots, Boudreaux and Clotile, and just stuck Baby Cakes jerseys on them.5b2034737d24e.image.jpg?resize=1200,934 Never had a baby mascot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As expected the A's and Nashville are not renewing. Most pundits have:

 

-A's to Las Vegas

-Nationals to Nashville

-Brewers to Fresno

-Astros to Round Rock

-Rangers to San Antonio 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Wings said:

As expected the A's and Nashville are not renewing. Most pundits have:

 

-A's to Las Vegas

-Nationals to Nashville

-Brewers to Fresno

-Astros to Round Rock

-Rangers to San Antonio 

Rumor has it that the Rangers have the inside track for Nashville, not the Nationals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, buzzcut said:

Rumor has it that the Rangers have the inside track for Nashville, not the Nationals.

The ballpark situation in SA could be pushing the Rangers to Nashville. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wings said:

As expected the A's and Nashville are not renewing. Most pundits have:

 

-A's to Las Vegas

-Nationals to Nashville

-Brewers to Fresno

-Astros to Round Rock

-Rangers to San Antonio 

 

That would be a very dumb move for the A’s. Nashville was dumb, too. They need to find a way to get Reno and leave Vegas to the D backs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

 

That would be a very dumb move for the A’s. Nashville was dumb, too. They need to find a way to get Reno and leave Vegas to the D backs. 

 

I agree. A's can try again after 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not Fresno for the A's? That makes sense as a fallback for Reno. Milwaukee and Nashville should go back together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fully expect the A's to land Las Vegas as that city is building a new ballpark with vastly improved player facilities. Nashville is next and I expect them to go with the Rangers. With the Rangers leaving Round Rock, the Astros will land there. The Brewers will stick with San Antonio, leaving poor old Washington stuck with Fresno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, buzzcut said:

I fully expect the A's to land Las Vegas as that city is building a new ballpark with vastly improved player facilities. Nashville is next and I expect them to go with the Rangers. With the Rangers leaving Round Rock, the Astros will land there. The Brewers will stick with San Antonio, leaving poor old Washington stuck with Fresno.

Sounds good to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now