Colorado Avalanche Update

DTConcepts

For an art project in my art class, I decided to follow my love for sports designs and update/rebrand the Colorado Avalanche with a less 90's-esque logo. I figured before I go to my teacher for advice, it'd be best to post it here and see what the experts have to say. I've designed both a primary and secondary logos, and are posted in that order.

main_logo1_pres.png

main_logo2_pres.png

And that's that! Any thoughts?

Also, I apologize for the overlays, I just didn't wanna watermark the logos into oblivion and I wanted to at least kinda protect them from people stealing them.

That secondary logo is sick! Everything about it screams Colorado. I would buy the hell out of that.

While the primary logo is very well designed, it's hard to tell exactly what's going on. The snowy part that completes the "A" feels a little bit forced, and it doesn't look like it's cascading down the mountain as in the original logo, if that makes any sense. I can try to elaborate more if any of that's confusing.

Otherwise, great job, it's a huge upgrade from their current logos.

I totally agree with everything @JJ Anderes says.

I appreciate the addition of the yellow for the flag and the old NHL Rockies, but I'd tone it down a tad. Maybe make the yellow outline on the secondary burgundy.

For the snowfall, I recommend a smoother curve that starts out following the steep angle of the A.

Good start, just some adjustments to make!

21 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Does this help?

A step in the right direction, for sure, but the snow drift still doesn't feel quite right. It seems a bit strange that it's flat and so skinny in the middle. Also, it gets messy in the bottom left with that exposed corner of the A.

The Avs logo is a difficult idea to work with... but you can probably get there!

I dunno.  Love the colors and direction, but the avalanche part of the A logo just isn't working.  It looks like a mangy squirrel tail.  I feel like you should maybe take a different approach with the snowfall.  In my head right now (and i'm not sure if i can put it into words) i'm picturing it more forming at the bottom with points coming from the top.  Like, if that avalanche was moving it'd be a few seconds later.  

Something like this... made by Josh, found in google.  So, something like this coming off the bottom edge of the mountain/A.  Something like this would give it the logo more action/movement, representing a massive powerful force with a lot of both of those things.

avalanche_dribbble_1.png

I'm still not feeling this avalanche/snow cascade. I guess I just don't really get why it looks so sharp and choppy? I'm not sure what to do to make it better at this point, as there is something I can't quite put my finger on that just reminds me of barbed wire or something.

I feel like there’s an extra point in the mountain striping that makes it look minor league ish. If you matched the arms to the hem more it’d be near perfect. Still thing the logo is a tad off though. On the white jersey I’d change up the collar treatment. Match it to the home jersey but make the nhl logo section burgundy. 

For the alt I feel like the burgundy stripe on the chest and arm gets lost. Make those gold too and it’d be more balanced. I’d also try your alternate logo, or even the C there. 

Just to let you know, I can't see your older images; they say "imgbb.com bandwidth limit exceeded." I recommend imgur.com, I don't run into that problem there, or several others (but NOT Photobucket.)

rATMcmK.png

Just to sort of echo what has been said, I might work with the snow swoosh on the primary to try and minimize the detail & connote the movement of snow in a more economic way that fits the minimalist vibe in the rest of the design... I love the idea of making the 90's logo feel "grown up" and these designs definitely take it in that direction!

Archived