Jimmy Lethal

Unpopular Sports Opinions

The NBA takes two-thirds of its markets out of the race before the first game of the season and no one can stop beating off to them. Maybe baseball needs its players to announce their dislike of Donald Trump and start feuds with one another by tweeting "when that ass too good" above a picture of Spongebob Squarepants beneath 18 Photoshop filters.

I took the liberty of arranging the current MLB playoff races like the NHL pre-2013, where it was 8 teams per conference and the division leaders got the highest seeds: 
American League:
1: Boston - 106-51
2: Houston - 100-57
3: Cleveland - 88-69
4: New York - 97-60
5: Oakland - 95-63
6: Tampa Bay - 87-70
7: Seattle - 86-71
8: Los Angeles - 77-81
-----------------------
9: Minnesota - 72-84
10: Toronto - 71-87
(PS: since the idea of a sub-500 Angels team winning the World Series in this hypothetical playoffs was brought up: Boston's 6-0 against the Angels this season.)

National League:
1: Chicago - 91-66
2: Atlanta - 89-68
3: Los Angeles - 88-70
4: Milwaukee - 91-67
5: Colorado - 87-70
6: St. Louis - 87-71
7: Pittsburgh - 80-76
8: Arizona - 80-78
--------------------
9: Washington - 80-78
10: Philadelphia - 78-79

On the other hand, if we went to the opposite extreme of going back to straight pennant races with no playoffs but the World Series, we'd be seeing one hell of an NL race right now, with Milwaukee just a half-game back of Chicago and Atlanta & LA having decent outside chances as well.

But we already are seeing one hell of a pennant race right now...

Yeah, but the stakes would be a lot higher if they were fighting for one playoff spot instead of five or eight.

What if it was just the best six teams in each league, divisions be damned, and we followed the NFL's basic playoff structure? Best-of-5 WC and divisional rounds, top two teams in each league get a first-round bye.

Look, man, I just want the Mariners to make it.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

The NBA takes two-thirds of its markets out of the race before the first game of the season and no one can stop beating off to them. Maybe baseball needs its players to announce their dislike of Donald Trump and start feuds with one another by tweeting "when that ass too good" above a picture of Spongebob Squarepants beneath 18 Photoshop filters.

Couldn't hurt.

I understand the use of the term back in the day, but now "pennant race" makes no sense. We have four Wild Card spots and six division winners. There is no pennant race anymore. It's a playoff race.

On 9/21/2018 at 5:52 PM, WissX said:

For NL centeral and AL centeral switch the pirates and twins.

I miss playing the Twins too, but there's "unpopular," and there's "total pipedream."

Yeah, but the stakes would be a lot higher

Edited by davidjren

SportsLogos.net needs more NFL logos from the 1920s because it was the most interesting time the leagues history

wasn't sure where to post this, but something came to mind that I thought was sort of strange. There are many teams that identify with an area instead of a city/state. Carolina Panthers and Golden State come to mind.

So it's strange to me that Twin Cities isn't used by any of the Minneapolis-St Paul teams. 

On 10/3/2018 at 10:42 PM, tjs11 said:

wasn't sure where to post this, but something came to mind that I thought was sort of strange. There are many teams that identify with an area instead of a city/state. Carolina Panthers and Golden State come to mind.

So it's strange to me that Twin Cities isn't used by any of the Minneapolis-St Paul teams. 

They tried to...