Unpopular Sports Opinions

JerseyJimmy

The NBA takes two-thirds of its markets out of the race before the first game of the season and no one can stop beating off to them. Maybe baseball needs its players to announce their dislike of Donald Trump and start feuds with one another by tweeting "when that ass too good" above a picture of Spongebob Squarepants beneath 18 Photoshop filters.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took the liberty of arranging the current MLB playoff races like the NHL pre-2013, where it was 8 teams per conference and the division leaders got the highest seeds: 
American League:
1: Boston - 106-51
2: Houston - 100-57
3: Cleveland - 88-69
4: New York - 97-60
5: Oakland - 95-63
6: Tampa Bay - 87-70
7: Seattle - 86-71
8: Los Angeles - 77-81
-----------------------
9: Minnesota - 72-84
10: Toronto - 71-87
(PS: since the idea of a sub-500 Angels team winning the World Series in this hypothetical playoffs was brought up: Boston's 6-0 against the Angels this season.)

National League:
1: Chicago - 91-66
2: Atlanta - 89-68
3: Los Angeles - 88-70
4: Milwaukee - 91-67
5: Colorado - 87-70
6: St. Louis - 87-71
7: Pittsburgh - 80-76
8: Arizona - 80-78
--------------------
9: Washington - 80-78
10: Philadelphia - 78-79

On the other hand, if we went to the opposite extreme of going back to straight pennant races with no playoffs but the World Series, we'd be seeing one hell of an NL race right now, with Milwaukee just a half-game back of Chicago and Atlanta & LA having decent outside chances as well.

What if it was just the best six teams in each league, divisions be damned, and we followed the NFL's basic playoff structure? Best-of-5 WC and divisional rounds, top two teams in each league get a first-round bye.

Look, man, I just want the Mariners to make it.

53Ocz8U.png

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

The NBA takes two-thirds of its markets out of the race before the first game of the season and no one can stop beating off to them. Maybe baseball needs its players to announce their dislike of Donald Trump and start feuds with one another by tweeting "when that ass too good" above a picture of Spongebob Squarepants beneath 18 Photoshop filters.

Couldn't hurt.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

wasn't sure where to post this, but something came to mind that I thought was sort of strange. There are many teams that identify with an area instead of a city/state. Carolina Panthers and Golden State come to mind.

So it's strange to me that Twin Cities isn't used by any of the Minneapolis-St Paul teams. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 10:42 PM, tjs11 said:

wasn't sure where to post this, but something came to mind that I thought was sort of strange. There are many teams that identify with an area instead of a city/state. Carolina Panthers and Golden State come to mind.

So it's strange to me that Twin Cities isn't used by any of the Minneapolis-St Paul teams. 

They tried to...

• 8 months later...

OK, I'll play...

🔹 In the NFL, teams should not provide their own footballs. The league should provide the footballs for each game, and the referees should bring them to the games, and allow them to be used only once the game starts. No practicing with them. And a ball should stay in play until it is unfit for play. (That could be more frequently in inclement weather.) But to keep things even, both teams should use the same ball. 🏈

🔹 Now, about college athletic scholarships (especially football): It is silly that scholarships are not guaranteed for four years. All scholarships should be guaranteed for four years, but there should also be a reverse requirement for the student-athlete. He or she must complete their coursework and earn a legitimate degree. If they leave school before earning their degree, then all the scholarship money must be repaid to the college. The idea is to eliminate "one-and dones". This will obviously not matter to the elite athletes who will make millions as a pro. But marginal athletes will not so easily forgo their education for a tenuous shot at a pro contract.

🔹 I am also not crazy about separate housing facilities for college athletes. Let them stay in the same dormitories as the physics majors and the English lit majors and everyone else. They are not on a separate level than other students. They shouldn't be treated as such.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Hmm, I'll bite:

General:

• The Cleveland deal and the Hornets situation were resolved the best way they could've been. I have no issue with the history of these franchises going back to their rightful city. As such, when the Sonics return to Seattle, the pre-2008 history will go to them too. Oklahoma City fans have no attachment to the time the Thunder spent in Seattle, and as such, the team has no claim to that history.
  • Stadiums should be funded by the teams and leagues. If the leagues want massive stadiums, they can pay for it.
  • If the cities/states agree to help fund stadiums, they get partial ownership of whatever team is ripping them off. It should be equal to whatever percent of the stadium's cost they put up. At the very least, they get an equal percent of revenue generated from the stadium.

NFL:

• The Saints didn't get screwed by that bad call in the NFC Championship game. They had plenty of opportunities to seal that game away, but they blew it. PI should be reviewable, however.
  • Get rid of extra points, and make 2-point conversions mandatory, like the AAF did.

MLB:

• Expanding the playoffs is a good idea. It keeps teams from tanking earlier, and incentivizes teams to really shoot for the number one seed. Plus, it means more gate revenue for teams.
  • I have no problem with interleague play, but it should be done like the NFL does it: limited to a single division a year. It makes cross-league rivalries more exciting, since they don't do it every year.
  • The Rays splitting time with Montreal will kill MLB in Tampa. When the Rays move, the Majors will never return, aside from maybe a traveling Florida Marlins.
  • For the love of God, reduce the amount of time teams wear alts. Also, ban them in the playoffs. If a team wants to make a colored jersey the standard road, whatever.

NBA:

• 4 jerseys max. One white, one light alt, one colored, one colored alt. Teams must wear a light (white/light alt) jersey at home. Make alts limited to a max of, say, 10 games. Makes them more of "alternates" than the current style. Ban them in the playoffs, as well. Also, all jerseys must feature either the team's name, or the city's name. None of this "North" or "Buzz City" stupidity. Also, it gets rid of those awful jerseys with just a logo on the front. All jerseys must be a team color, as well.
  • Make the supermax only count as a max cap hit. The supermax only hurts small-market teams, and I feel like this benefits both players and owners: rewarding a good, loyal player doesn't hurt more than a regular max would, further incentivizing players/owners to pay out.

NHL:

• Please, fix Arizona/Florida before expanding. Make sure your franchises are stable before adding more of them. 

NCAA:

• Expand the football playoffs to 8 teams, giving Power 5 conference winners an automatic bid, the best Group of 5 team an automatic, and two at-large bids.
  • Automatic bids shouldn't have to play a play-in game. Making the field of 68 doesn't count as making it to the actual tournament. Punish at-large bids for not winning their conference.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Baseball should go back to just two divisions per league. The playoffs consist of the two division winners and then the next six best teams. Division winners always have home field advantage, regardless of record. 

29 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Baseball should go back to just two divisions per league. The playoffs consist of the two division winners and then the next six best teams. Division winners always have home field advantage, regardless of record. 

How about going back to 10-team leagues with no divisions. Keep the AL an NL as they were in the '60s, and a third league (the Expansion League?) of the remaining 10 teams.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

12 minutes ago, mjrbaseball said:

How about going back to 10-team leagues with no divisions. Keep the AL an NL as they were in the '60s, and a third league (the Expansion League?) of the remaining 10 teams.

I'm only a fan of having no divisions at all if the seeding was solely based on record and nothing else. (Because if you do that, winning a division means nothing). And frankly that's not a bad idea either, as the NBA has largely moved away from division titles meaning anything.

Archived