infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week One

infrared41

First off, a very heartfelt thank you to all of you who sent well wishes after my "health issues" last season. God willing, we'll have a full season of my silly little lists this year. So....it's time for another season of weekly best and worst lists that are sure to please a few people, infuriate a few people, and be ignored by whole bunch of people. As always, the lists are just for fun and they're just my opinion. Your opinion is may be different than mine or others who post in the thread and that's perfectly OK. All I ask is that we keep the conversation civil and limited to the uniforms.  

Barring a particularly horrific match up, or if by some miracle, a particularly good match up, Color Rush games are not eligible for a spot on the weekly lists.  OK, now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's give the big wheel a spin and play our game. 

BEST:

1. 49ers - Vikings: Modern classic vs. ummm....regular classic? Anyway, this was a great looking game. 

lyX2iJ6.jpg

2. Bears - Packers: This match up would look even better with the Bears in all white, but it's still pretty good as is. Here's hoping the Bears don't roll out an alternate when the Packers come to Chicago. 

9UDgQ91.jpg

3. Cowboys - Panthers: Cowboys always look good in the blue jerseys. I'm glad the Panthers stuck to all white in this one. Pretty nice looking game.

EblKINp.jpg

4. Bills - Ravens: When Baltimore sticks to the basics - Purple over white and all white -  I think they have a solid look. The Bills look is one of my favorites.

AnpB8vo.jpg

5. Bengals - Colts: A rare best list appearance for the Cincinnati Bengals. Their color rush look isn't half bad. A couple stripes tweaks, fix the socks, and it could be a great look. Combine the Bengals CR uniforms with those classic Colts uniforms and we have a match up that's worth a spot on the best list...this week, at least. 

qaIzEkj.jpg

WORST:

1. Seahawks - Broncos: Great colors, awful uniforms. The Broncos look is as dated as it is ugly. Seattle checks a lot of the boxes that make me dislike "modern" uniforms; dumb stripes, unnecessary wordmarks, screwed up sleeves, and so on. Lots of ugly here.

TKGRVgL.jpg

2. Titans - Dolphins: What happens when you "embrace the future and respect the past?" More often than not, this does. Kudos to the Dolphins for adding some orange and dumping the navy blue, but they still have a long, long way to go. Add the Titans to the growing list of teams that ruined its uniforms for no good reason. 

FoXnktq.jpg

That's it for this week. We'll do it all again next week. Thanks for taking the time to have a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those Bengals Unis are horrific. The helmet stands out way too much since it’s the only orange. Other than the numbers, their reg set works better. 

I disagree about the Seahawks, especially the comment about the sleeve. Your photo actually shows how well the design works with the modern sleeve template. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When taking the contrast between the teams into account, the Bengals and Colts game should be higher if anything IMO. Really good looking game. And the Ravens always look better when they ditch the black pants IMO. Can't argue with that top 2 although I may disagree and prefer the Bears with the blue pants here.

I don't really have an issue with either of the "Worst" game. The Seahawks/Broncos looks fine, especially with those combos. The Titans have apparently become the board's whipping boy even though they made a slight downgrade/lateral move IMO. Going with a navy helmet was a mistake, at the pit colors are odd, but the shoulder swords are kinda cool IMO and the overall look is fine. Not good let alone great, but not some atrocity. And I'm still undecided about whether I actually prefer the new Dolphins look since they kept navy in the logo but dropped it elsewhere, but I like both looks so no biggie.

Overall a good looking week in the NFL apparently. Even the Browns managed to stay unoffensive.

The list is pretty good, but two things are surprising to me. First, that Packers-Bears isn't #1 - I think that matchup, with the Packers in their home uniform and Bears in blue/white/blue, might be the best possible matchup in the entire league. Second, that Titans-Dolphins isn't worst, considering that the Titans' jerseys were completely unreadable and there was virtually no contrast with all the white and light blue/teal elements.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

2 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

The list is pretty good, but two things are surprising to me. First, that Packers-Bears isn't #1 - I think that matchup, with the Packers in their home uniform and Bears in blue/white/blue, might be the best possible matchup in the entire league. Second, that Titans-Dolphins isn't worst, considering that the Titans' jerseys were completely unreadable and there was virtually no contrast with all the white and light blue/teal elements.

#1 and #2 could be interchangeable, they’re both just that good, but I think what gives SF-MIN the slightest edge is the lighting in the Vikings Stadium thanks to the glass windows. The picture infrared used drives that point home imo. The colors just pop so well.

I don’t think SEA-DEN is a bad look at all either, definitely not a top 5 look but not a bottom half matchup. To me, the very definition of “meh,” I guess.

ClAFLDa.png

As I stated on another thread, the white-on-white and white-on-orange looks for the Browns are what I consider "Classic Looks", cleaner than white over brown. For the Seahawks, I thought they would either wear white or gray pants in Denver last week. And given my comments about the Titans' new look, I think columbia over white is perhaps the best and most underrated look--as was the case with their old unis.

3 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

#1 and #2 could be interchangeable, they’re both just that good, but I think what gives SF-MIN the slightest edge is the lighting in the Vikings Stadium thanks to the glass windows. The picture infrared used drives that point home imo. The colors just pop so well.

That's exactly why it got the top spot. 

BB52Big.jpg

9UDgQ91.jpg

I agree with you on many points, but I disagree with your opinion on the Bears.  I think this uniform is superior to their all white look and even their traditional home uniforms.  I just love the color distribution.  ??

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

All I can disagree with is Seattle-Denver. I don't mind the Broncos' uniforms when they get the right combinations (the above and all-white); it's the all-blue I can't stand on them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, Mitch B said:

9UDgQ91.jpg

I agree with you on many points, but I disagree with your opinion on the Bears.  I think this uniform is superior to their all white look and even their traditional home uniforms.  I just love the color distribution.  ??

Fair enough, when the Bears play the Packers at Lambeau,I think this is how the Bears should look.

6_8390977.jpg

I'm not saying the Bears should go full time with the all white (I'd be fine with it if they did) I'm just saying that the all white works better against certain teams and the Packers are definitely one of those teams. I like the white over navy Bears set, I just like the all white look better. 

Rex+Grossman+Chicago+Bears+v+Green+Bay+P35.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

All I can disagree with is Seattle-Denver. I don't mind the Broncos' uniforms when they get the right combinations (the above and all-white); it's the all-blue I can't stand on them.

The colors in the game were great. My problem was with the dumb striping, etc. that both teams use. I've hated Denver's uniform since the first time I saw it way back in '96 or '97. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived