Australian Baseball League expands to New Zealand with Auckland Tuatara

SportsLogos.Net News

Australian Baseball League expands to New Zealand with Auckland Tuatara

September 12, 2018 - 22:51 PM

When the Australian Baseball League starts its 2018-2019 season this November, the league will feature its first Kiwi team, the Auckland Tuatara. Since the inception of its current iteration in 2009, the ABL has included six teams, all of them […]

Read More...

This story, as written, is not quite accurate. The report closes with the line:

"The Tuatara will make their debut November 15, along with a second international expansion team in Geelong, Korea, which has yet to release its nickname or branding."

Geelong isn't a municipality in South Korea. It is a port city in the Australian state of Victoria, located approximately 75 kilometers (about 46.5 miles) southwest of Melbourne. Geelong-Korea is the name of an Australian Baseball League expansion team that will be based in Geelong, Victoria and have a roster comprised of Korean players.  

Geelong to base Korean team

i like the tuatara as a mascot. while Brian Gundell and i were branding Baseball New Zealand, we considered the tuatara as a mascot for them. it has interesting patterns and is culturally important to Maori people. (we went with the great white shark for better reasons though)

there were some other names considered for this team but the Tuatara i think is most appropriate one for a NZ based team. glad they went with that one. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

while Brian Gundell and i were branding Baseball New Zealand, we considered the tuatara as a mascot for them. it has interesting patterns and is culturally important to Maori people. (we went with the great white shark for better reasons though)

Brandon... I'm sure that you and Brian were pleased when Baseball New Zealand's U13 Ripken All Stars team took to the diamond in the "NZ" cap logo and "NEW ZEALAND" word marks that you designed for the organization. Knowing that the New Zealand U13 Ripken All Stars would be competing at the Cal Ripken World Series, I made a point of checking out the Facebook pages of both the team and governing body during the course of the tournament. I figured it would be just the type of high-profile event at which Baseball New Zealand might opt to unveil your work. Bingo!  

Baseball New Zealand U13 Ripken All Stars Headed to the United States

Baseball New Zealand U13 Ripken All Stars Postgame Press Conference

Baseball New Zealand U13 Ripken All Stars Press Conference

Baseball New Zealand U13 Ripken All Stars Coaches

Baseball New Zealand U13 Ripken All Stars Team

Really impressive. Thrilled for you, Brian, and Maori designer and tattoo artist Dave Bishop.  

4 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Brandon... I'm sure that you and Brian were pleased when Baseball New Zealand's U13 Ripken All Stars team took to the diamond in the "NZ" cap logo and "NEW ZEALAND" word marks that you designed for the organization. Knowing that the New Zealand U13 Ripken All Stars would be competing at the Cal Ripken World Series, I made a point of checking out the Facebook pages of both the team and governing body during the course of the tournament. I figured it would be just the type of high-profile event at which Baseball New Zealand might opt to unveil your work. Bingo!  

Baseball New Zealand U13 Ripken All Stars Headed to the United States

Baseball New Zealand U13 Ripken All Stars Postgame Press Conference

Baseball New Zealand U13 Ripken All Stars Press Conference

Baseball New Zealand U13 Ripken All Stars Coaches

Baseball New Zealand U13 Ripken All Stars Team

Really impressive. Thrilled for you, Brian, and Maori designer and tattoo artist Dave Bishop.  

thanks, B! yea as much confidence as you might have in a project you always hold your breath until you see it in real life, actually on people. sometimes mistakes or errors happen beyond your control once it all goes into production (some slight oversight on the Dolphins numbers for instance) but Baseball NZ came out great

and i definitley want to shout out Dave as much as possible, it wouldnt have happened without him. design is never done alone, its a group effort but sometimes a clear MVP appears and having a Maori tattoo artist / baseball player work with is was critical

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived