2018-19 NHL Season

ninersdd

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

LOL.

2-15-4.

Outscored 27-6 in their last five games, all losses. Third 5+ game losing streak this season.

BUT NOPE. DEFINITELY NOT RANDY'S FAULT. THOSE DARN PLAYERS AND THEIR NOT-STEPPING-UPNESS.

How long has he been the GM? If it's not the coach, then...

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

How long has he been the GM? If it's not the coach, then...

Well, it is the coach. And it continues to be the coach because of the GM.

They're friends. Drinking buddies, probably. So much so that Carlyle's current contract calls for him to remain part of the Ducks organization once his coaching contract expires. He has said that firing Carlyle the first time was the hardest thing he's had to do as a GM, and it more and more looks like he just doesn't want to do it twice. 

Murray was the senior VP of hockey operations beginning in 2005 and has been the GM since November 2008, when Brian Burke left. In that full tenure, he's obviously has been at the helm of the most successful period in Ducks history, and he continues to draft very well despite not picking very high.

Overall, Murray has been a successful GM when it comes to cultivating the franchise. Really, the only marks against him are only not winning the Cup as GM, although again he helped develop the players that won it in 2007, and now the downfall this season and the perpetual not-firing of Randy Carlyle. The problem is that last bit might be the iceberg to this Titanic.

Again, there have been plenty of coaches fired for far less than what Carlyle has put together between last spring's sweep against San Jose and this putrid garbage streak. Some want to give Murray the benefit of the doubt and say he's riding this season out (realizing this group isn't good enough as constructed, waiting it out until next season so the kids can grow up, give Carlyle a better shot), but if that's the case, he refuses to actually be straight with us and say that. So without voicing that plan (if that is even the "plan" that exists), we the fans see a team with too much talent to be this bad, and a Coach that, despite all the offseason professing otherwise, refuses to adapt to the current game or adapt to anything at all. A coach that was fired once before for nearly the exact same thing.

So it's either the team is actually tanking this season (and I know you can't say "tank" but "building for the future" would suffice), or they're continually banging their head against the wall and hoping it works. Murray's public statements so far would suggest the latter, which is either insulting to the fanbase or truly stupid.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

On 2/6/2019 at 3:00 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

LOL.

2-15-4.

Outscored 27-6 in their last five games, all losses. Third 5+ game losing streak this season.

BUT NOPE. DEFINITELY NOT RANDY'S FAULT. THOSE DARN PLAYERS AND THEIR NOT-STEPPING-UPNESS.

2-16-4

6 in a row. 31-6.

2 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

2-16-4

6 in a row. 31-6.

I'll be home in Calgary for a week off when the Ducks are visiting on Friday the 22nd and then I could be back up in Edmonton at school for the 23rd when they play the Oilers. My family has season tickets to the Flames and I could pick up tickets in Edmonton, so conceivably I could go to both games if I planned my travel back to Edmonton right.

I don't think I will.

I have no desire right now to see them play right now.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I'll be home in Calgary for a week off when the Ducks are visiting on Friday the 22nd and then I could be back up in Edmonton at school for the 23rd when they play the Oilers. My family has season tickets to the Flames and I could pick up tickets in Edmonton, so conceivably I could go to both games if I planned my travel back to Edmonton right.

I don't think I will.

I have no desire right now to see them play right now.

They are 0-2 against dead-last Ottawa this season. They were shut out against the team giving up the most goals in the NHL this season despite putting up a season-high 45 shots.

I don’t blame you if you don’t.

Hell, despite their next home game being Mighty Ducks movie jersey night and Scott Niedermayer number retirement night next Sunday, I’m not too inclined either. (I’ll go because I’m a masochist, and I’ll be a pitchfork’s throw away from Carlyle.)

The Kings (which my phone always autocorrects to Kong’s which is funny but infuriating) are only ONE POINT behind the Ducks. THE KINGS.

And, apologies. They’re only 2-14-4 in this stretch, not 2-16-4 as I said, but they’ll get there probably.

Last night while watching the Coyotes I started doing some googling and found that yotes GM John Chayka's sister is Meghan Chayka who is notable because she is quite attractive and has an instagram account, if that's something you're into. 

Jackets win two straight after losing previous five. Nothing else going on with the team that needs to be reported or talked about. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 2/7/2019 at 11:48 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

They are 0-2 against dead-last Ottawa this season. They were shut out against the team giving up the most goals in the NHL this season despite putting up a season-high 45 shots.

I don’t blame you if you don’t.

Hell, despite their next home game being Mighty Ducks movie jersey night and Scott Niedermayer number retirement night next Sunday, I’m not too inclined either. (I’ll go because I’m a masochist, and I’ll be a pitchfork’s throw away from Carlyle.)

The Kings (which my phone always autocorrects to Kong’s which is funny but infuriating) are only ONE POINT behind the Ducks. THE KINGS.

And, apologies. They’re only 2-14-4 in this stretch, not 2-16-4 as I said, but they’ll get there probably.

They're tied.  They're freaking tied.

JOKXheS.gif

VmWIn6B.png

Every NHL coach should now point to this and say "you know, as long as I haven't lost 19 of my last 21* games, I shouldn't be up for getting fired". What an absurd degree this took to finally happen. I saw on HF yesterday that the Ducks in their last five games, having been on the receiving end of 83% of the goals scored, is one of the worst five-game stretches in the NHL over the past several decades. Imagine that; when your comparisons are the expansion Capitals and Senators, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

*including four OT-SO "losses".

spacer.png

This firing was long, long, long, long overdue.

It's also worth noting, Bob Murray has no coaching experience. I assume he's just going to ride out the year and take stock of the players and other coaches from ice level, but I honestly don't know what to expect. Like is he going to implement his own systems, if he has any? Or is he just going to let the assistants run the game plans? What is Murray going to bring to the team from a coaching standpoint?

Also, Murray said he didn't want to bring up Dallas Eakins from San Diego because they have been doing well this year and he didn't want to mess with that.

IbjBaeE.png

THEY DID IT. PRAISE TEEMU, THEY DID IT.

Should have done it after the Sharks sweep, should have done it after the first 7 game losing streak... or the 12 game losing streak... but this current 7-gamer was truly to point of no return. Hitting rock bottom harder than I can remember at any other point in franchise history. Sure, there were some bad teams in the Mighty era, but never have they played a worse 7 or 5 game stretch. Plus those teams had zero expectations. This one had a minimal expectation of a playoff berth, and while not completely out of the question, they are sprinting in the other direction.

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

This firing was long, long, long, long overdue.

It's also worth noting, Bob Murray has no coaching experience. I assume he's just going to ride out the year and take stock of the players and other coaches from ice level, but I honestly don't know what to expect. Like is he going to implement his own systems, if he has any? Or is he just going to let the assistants run the game plans? What is Murray going to bring to the team from a coaching standpoint?

Also, Murray said he didn't want to bring up Dallas Eakins from San Diego because they have been doing well this year and he didn't want to mess with that.

I don't think he's going to bring much of anything when it comes to coaching. And I think that's kind of stated as much based on Murray's comments and the Samuelis'. There's no talk of pushing toward the playoffs or anything like that. I think it's exactly as you say, that he's there to observe things (their play, the room, etc.) from ice level and hands on. Try and observe what the team needs to be better or what kind of coach could properly motivate the group. In terms of Xs and Os, I assume the assistants will do the bulk of that work. 

It's also one of those things that might kickstart some of the players. One of those, how would you perform if your boss sat in your office watching your work over your shoulder, sort of thing. Can't take a second off.

I agree with the San Diego aspect of this too. There's no use in bringing up Eakins to try and salvage this ship this season. It's not going anywhere. On the other side, the Gulls are on a tear and you can get the kids some valuable playoff experience with a guy that should be the top candidate to take over the NHL job next season. Plus, if the Ducks continue to suck, that's another top prospect to add to the bunch.

No matter how the rest of the season goes, a huge weight off.

The Ducks should just embrace the tank at this point. The goal differential is staggeringly bad, like 20 goals worse than anybody else, which portends that their issues are deeper than just injuries or poor chemistry. 

8 points back of the last wildcard doesn't seem like a lot, but that's a chasm when there's 7 teams to jump and it's about to become stretch of the season when every game goes to overtime. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The Ducks should just embrace the tank at this point. The goal differential is staggeringly bad, like 20 goals worse than anybody else, which portends that their issues are deeper than just injuries or poor chemistry. 

8 points back of the last wildcard doesn't seem like a lot, but that's a chasm when there's 7 teams to jump and it's about to become stretch of the season when every game goes to overtime. 

Completely. And that differential has certainly ballooned over the last stretch here (an additional -19 over the last 7 games), but the only reason they were even hanging around earlier was John Gibson, who looks like he finally just buckled under the constant pressure. The Ducks were/have been working with the terrible combo of a piss-poor defensive structure and the inability to generate or capitalize on scoring chances (which would immediately turn the game back onto the piss-poor defensive structure). Their confidence has been shattered over the last 54 days (2 wins), just hopefully not irreparably.

And I'm completely on board with your statement. Even if they could push back to a playoff spot, what would be the point? You're not winning. No need to add another early playoff loss onto this team's psyche. I certainly want them to get better, and I'm not against a winning streak (because, despite the log jam, it's a logjam because everyone else in the West has sucked this year. A 4-game win streak could be all you need to eliminate that deficit). Get your smile back, or whatever, but get your focus on next season and what you have to do to not repeat this debacle ever again.

12 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Here are the Ducks defensive zone heat maps over the past few seasons and you can see how bad it got.

The last Boudreau year

Reveal hidden contents

ANA

The first year of Randy 2.0

Reveal hidden contents

ANA

Second year of Randy

Reveal hidden contents

ANA

This season

Reveal hidden contents

ANA

Developed cancer directly in front of the net.

You see why Gibson finally broke.

Archived