ninersdd

2018-19 NHL Season

Like the mighty cockroach, the Arizona Coyotes will survive through many millennia. 

Last time the Anaheim Ducks had a seven-game losing streak that was ended with a bounce back win and a team with red as the primary color fired their highly successful coach, Randy Carlyle was fired and that highly successful red team coach was hired by the Ducks.

I'm not saying, but I'm just saying.

And Arizona, good lord, again? really?

I'm really disappointed by this move on a lot of levels. I don't like it as a sentimental Hawks fan who associates Quenneville with the highest highs the organization has ever known. I don't like what it means for the Hawks going forward with a nominal head coach while Bowman's toady looms over him as a freshly reinstalled assistant, but most of all I don't like what it says about the game of hockey as a whole that Joel Quenneville's crap indeed doesn't work anymore. Lots of people lazily thought of the Hawks as a "fast" team because Kane is small and scorey and they had a relative lack of plodding goons, but they weren't fast in the sense that teams are fast now. If anything, their success arose from their ability to slow the game down, to control the puck from one end of the ice to the other and Harlem Globetrotter their way to goals. Now that NHL hockey is this organized chaos where the name of the game is simply to gun it up the ice before the shot-blocking shell takes all your shooting lanes away and then shoot pucks from anywhere you can, or run back and set up your own shot-blocking shell before the guys flying up the ice can get a lane, what place is there for all the east-west breakouts and cycles that the Hawks stole from the Red Wings who in turn stole from the Soviets? So yeah, it's just another cold reminder that time devours us all.

3 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Moral of the story is don't lose to the Flyers. The Kings losing to the Flyers got John Steven's fired and now the Coyotes' owner is selling after a loss to the Flyers.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnotta/ownership-change-coming-in-arizona/

29 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

And Arizona, good lord, again? really?

Third Glendale City Council meeting? It can be the greatest hits episode! 

35 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't like what it means for the Hawks going forward with a nominal head coach while Bowman's toady looms over him as a freshly reinstalled assistant

This is what bums me out primarily about this whole thing.  Barry Smith finally getting his seat at the adults table with a direct line to Stan Bowman stinks like hell.  If he's there to give Colliton some guidance, whatever, but I get more of babysitter vibe. 

A lot of band-aid ripping off still to be done, primarily in regards to purging themselves of the albatross contracts left and right and letting their 33-year-old coach work with a big pile of 20-somethings while they salvage whatever's left of their system. 

This is where it'd be pretty interesting if you had guys like Dano and Hartman along with Panarin, Leddy, Kevin Hayes, Schmaltz, DeBrincat, etc, and going balls-out with speed and athleticism.  Instead the bulk of the roster is essentially one giant pile of dead flesh that needs to be sloughed off, hoping you haven't ruined the shiny young talent that would still remain.  Who knows.

12 hours ago, CS85 said:

Blackhawks fired Joel Quenneville today.  Writing was kind of on the wall, but meh.  Bowman's show now.

*hurls sarcastic confetti*

I don't know the full story. But I'm surprised the run of someone of Quenneville's caliber ended with a firing.

20 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

I don't know the full story. But I'm surprised the run of someone of Quenneville's caliber ended with a firing.

Well, of the Stanley Cup-winning coaches since the cancelled season in 04/05, the only coaches coaching their teams are Mike Sullivan and Randy Carlyle (and even he barely counts since this is his second go).  Tough job to hold down even when you win the Cup

On 11/5/2018 at 9:38 PM, habsfan1 said:

Still hurts.

I'll never accept it...

hAr5xAv.png

Well...so long for that

I think it was very funny that John McDonough went on the Score and ended an interview with "and I just want to say one thing, people think Scotty Bowman has a lot of power in our organization, well, I'm here to tell you that he doesn't! Thanks for having me on, guys, bye" and the hosts were just like "uh, we didn't say he did."

1) Why do you think it's a positive to deny that the greatest coach of all time has held significant influence in your highly successful organization?

2) Why did you offer this without a prompt?

Sports is a funny business. All these front-office guys were unparalleled geniuses until Duncan Keith's knees wore down and now they're all too dumb to fog a mirror.

Pacioretty for Tatar, Suzuki, and a pick....what a steal that was!!

Also, Vegas is paying most of Tatar's salary.

Tatar scored the gwg tonight against the Golden Knights, his former team. ?

Max Pac pointless this game. And he's having a tough season...

Is the cookie slowly starting to crumble for Vegas??

8 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Pacioretty for Tatar, Suzuki, and a pick....what a steal that was!!

Also, Vegas is paying most of Tatar's salary.

Tatar scored the gwg tonight against the Golden Knights, his former team. ?

Max Pac pointless this game. And he's having a tough season...

Is the cookie slowly starting to crumble for Vegas??

It's almost like Vegas sold its soul to the devil to try to win in its inaugural season. They are going to struggle for a couple of years.

That's two goalies with torn menisci.  #CurseOfLMUBuyingSeasonTickets