Canadian Football League's New Era

MJWalker45

With New Era taking over the CFL in 2019 I figured I'd take a crack at a redesign for the nine teams that make up the current CFL roster. The intent is to take what NEw Era does best, working with older team designs, and using that to improve on a league that at the moment seems to be stuck between bespoke design and one size fits all team uniform designs. 

HAMILTON TIGER-CATS

HOME

dvTmGZw.jpg

6fa9UkB.jpg

AWAY

mgGwsLf.jpg

XVKYZWC.jpg

ALT

Emf08Lo.jpg

The intent for the Ti-cats was to use the current design on the home and away uniforms but adding a few different touches. Hamilton is one of the older teams if you go by lineage so using the Boston Red Sox jersey font is meant to display that. The single gold stripe on the home and away uniforms is meant to continue a well known piece of the uniform that gets dropped from time to time. The alternate is based on their 2002 uniforms though instead of a white drop shadow I went with black to avoid it disappearing when viewed from afar. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately you chose to start with the one CFL team that needs the least amount of work. Not loving the striping on the pants or the socks— feel like it should match the classic shoulder striping. Also not digging the numbers at all. I do like the alt—Would love to see them bring back a gold helmet like they used to wear in the 70s. Small execution issue: the tiger on the shoulder on the left-most images is facing the rear and should be flipped. Can’t wait to see what else you’ve got because the other 8 teams could use some help.

Absolutely love the format/ template your using..

love the jerseys all 3 tbh, I don’t think the 2011-2015 jersey wordmark is needed there something similar to what u did on the road ( same as they wear now ) would suffice... 

I love the 3rd jersey.. the cat heads on the shoulders bark back to the old cats jerseys of the 2000’s.. I love that 

because of the traditional nature of the jersey stripe, I like to see similar on the pants..

this is great  I really like what u did with these and the flow nicely...

as pointed out I think the cats are prob one of 3 teams who don’t need messing with much but I cant wait to see now how you attack the other eight teams... 

54 minutes ago, cmbuk said:

Absolutely love the format/ template your using..

love the jerseys all 3 tbh, I don’t think the 2011-2015 jersey wordmark is needed there something similar to what u did on the road ( same as they wear now ) would suffice... 

I love the 3rd jersey.. the cat heads on the shoulders bark back to the old cats jerseys of the 2000’s.. I love that 

because of the traditional nature of the jersey stripe, I like to see similar on the pants..

this is great  I really like what u did with these and the flow nicely...

as pointed out I think the cats are prob one of 3 teams who don’t need messing with much but I cant wait to see now how you attack the other eight teams... 

@BrandMooreArt is responsible for the template. It's one of my favorites as well.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Toronto Argonauts

Home

qYVEGRy.jpg

NYpBCCF.jpg

Away

zvCqtsC.jpg

Alternate

e2R9QJu.jpg

The only big changes I made here was Jason in place of the A shield and the socks that match the blue pants I didn't want to simply go with a light blue sock so I went with a different pattern instead.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Toronto Argonauts

Home

qYVEGRy.jpg

NYpBCCF.jpg

Away

zvCqtsC.jpg

Alternate

e2R9QJu.jpg

The only big changes I made here was Jason in place of the A shield and the socks that match the blue pants I didn't want to simply go with a light blue sock so I went with a different pattern instead.

Ill be honest I actually think the current argos look is spot on...  so gonna be tough to top that imho 

i think the Home sleeve stripes lack some white.... 

thats my my only gripe really .. that and I actually like the Argo A shield on the helmet over Jason.. 

52 minutes ago, cmbuk said:

Ill be honest I actually think the current argos look is spot on...  so gonna be tough to top that imho 

i think the Home sleeve stripes lack some white.... 

thats my my only gripe really .. that and I actually like the Argo A shield on the helmet over Jason.. 

I might go back on the fauxbacks and use the football instead of Jason, it probably fits better. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, walkerws said:

The double blue hides the maker marks but if that's what you're aiming for, you go it. The helmets look a little plain. I'm not sure if the logo is too small or the colors are blending too much. 

I may just switch that to white so it shows up better than the light blue did.

9 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Would love to see the light blue with the sleeves striping and regular font, and maybe a vintage Capital "A" logo helmet.

I'm not a fan of the Capital A but I might take a crack at changing the font. The intent was to give each team their own font but It may be better to use one of the other block fonts instead.

11 hours ago, appleclock said:

Overall, I love it, but agree with above poster... I think that the football ship would be a better logo to ressurect for this look than the 90s Jason logo.

I like Jason over the ship but I think I'll go back and use it on the alternate, as well as Trajan or another font. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

BRITISH COLUMBIA LIONS

Home

cT6ORFr.jpg

Away

GH8plfk.jpg

Alternate

6ytT438.jpg

For BC, their best looks are more subdued so that's what I went with. I added sleeve striping on the home and away uniforms to give them a little extra but not too much more than that. For the alternate I based it off a local team from back home, the Shadyside Tigers in Ohio. Though I could have used the paw logo I decided not to just so that each part of the three uniforms could be used together. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

MONTREAL (Input requested)

I came up with multiple looks for them but I wanted some outside input before moving on to the alternate unis.

Home

sdeJCwV.jpg

itMJNrA.jpg

NLkaOsn.jpg

Away

kY0gEUJ.jpg

Originally I only went with hoops but I think the yoke has to remain in some shape or form for them since it's been a part of their identity for so long. Thoughts? I prefer the silver helmet over white, mainly because they were the only ones with one until going exclusively to white this year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Great series so far. I think you nailed it for the Ti-Cats.

I'd like to see a helmet stripe for the Argos, I just don't like it when they don't have one otherwise I like what you've done there as well.

For Montreal; I get what you are saying about the grey. It's kind of their thing that makes them unique but I really do prefer the "clean" look of the white helmet and pants. For that reason I like your first Montreal concept best. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

16 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

BRITISH COLUMBIA LIONS

Home

cT6ORFr.jpg

Away

GH8plfk.jpg

Alternate

6ytT438.jpg

For BC, their best looks are more subdued so that's what I went with. I added sleeve striping on the home and away uniforms to give them a little extra but not too much more than that. For the alternate I based it off a local team from back home, the Shadyside Tigers in Ohio. Though I could have used the paw logo I decided not to just so that each part of the three uniforms could be used together. 

Def a retro feel about the bc unis.. I was never sold on the white and orange that the sported for a long period, but it’s clean, and their alt is very similar to their home jersey 2004 era, 

for me I love the road uniform and it’s black lid ... I would build a whole uni around that set, ( for some reason tinypic won’t let me upload ) but the 2010 throwbacks Reebok did would be a nice home look to complement  that road... 

black / orange/ black is an amazing colour way..... 

17 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

MONTREAL (Input requested)

I came up with multiple looks for them but I wanted some outside input before moving on to the alternate unis.

Home

sdeJCwV.jpg

itMJNrA.jpg

NLkaOsn.jpg

Away

kY0gEUJ.jpg

Originally I only went with hoops but I think the yoke has to remain in some shape or form for them since it's been a part of their identity for so long. Thoughts? I prefer the silver helmet over white, mainly because they were the only ones with one until going exclusively to white this year. 

A return to the silver is welcome in my eyes.... 

i personally would love to see a concept where Montreal move away from the 3 coloured panels on the jerseys and have a modern ( or maybe not ) version of the mike Pringle / Tracy ham era alouettes, 

i think if you stick with white helmets u should def go with the wings on the helmet and a predominant red jersey... 

MONTREAL ALOUETTES

Home

FrfXq5W.jpg

Away

v2xXYda.jpg

Alternate

MjGQpOW.jpg

I went with the white helmet look though I'm partial to silver myself. I liked the idea of using the Virginia/Arizona helmet striping as the guide for the pant and sleeve stripes as well. I despise solid huge stripes that run the length of the jersey so those are gone now. I may go back and give them silver helmets an britches but I don't think I'd add them to the jersey, just to be a little different. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived