Alliance of American Football - Team Names and Logos

WideRight

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This league is killing it. Those jackets are really well designed. There’s a real professional feel with this whole thing that you just don’t get with any of these fly-by-night leagues or even AFL. 

Hope XFL is taking notes. 

True.  The jackets are great. 

Although in fairness, we really should have seen that coming when Starter was announced as the manufacturer.  :D 

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, logoman said:

I love those jackets. If I have a quibble, it's the traditional stripes on the sleeves. I think they would look nicer without them.

That's just what Starter does; this is a standard template they call the "Reigning Champ jacket".

2debe8a8-530c-495a-a450-462cac145000_1.c90206da7-5a76-4f5c-a9f9-193d4b8e2938_1.0atl-satin-fr.jpg

Interestingly, the NFL versions are reversible but the AAF jackets aren't.  Or don't appear to be, by that hanging loop inside the collar.

3a9a05dd-6498-4385-8b08-39ab1905f74d_1.d0bf8abe4ceec6d0f2a14626714f298c.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF8c58461d-25cd-4916-a07f-b9cdd7b41b4d_1.4

Just to share my thoughts on the unveil of each team's uniform:

Arizona Hotshots: I really love how this trio of yellow, green and orange just work well and compliment each other. Also have to commend the incorporation of the "AZ" monogram, found in their logo, inside the helmet stripe. Overall, a solid package, between the logo, colors, and uniform.

Atlanta Legends: The beautiful paring of purple and gold is hard to fumble, and it doesn't in this case either. Only gripe would be the "ATL" found vertically on either side of the jersey. Tsk tsk. It would be much better if inserted at the top of the purple pants stripe.

Birmingham Iron: Probably the biggest miss of the 8 teams. There's just this lack of a unique identity. Their uniforms could stand a few tweaks, which could result in a vast improvement.

Memphis Express: Despite the lack of the use of white, they made good decisions on the particular shades of red and blue used. Their vibrant enough to stand next to each other without bleeding into one another (like the Arizona Wildcats' monstrosities). Also, nice to see they were able to get the helmet decal to wraparound, because who doesn't enjoy those?

Orlando Apollos: Easily my favorite identity of the league. Love the logo and I do like its application on the helmet, but really interested in seeing side views to be able to clearly see the striping used on the jersey and pants; really want to know if there's a balance, if any, between the jersey yoke and the stripes.

Salt Lake Stallions: Paring silver with double blue isn't really working here. Mainly due to the lighter shade touching the silver; it only works if you use the darker blue to separate the lighter shade or dropping that shade altogether. A few tweaks to this set could take them from miss to hit.

San Antonio Commanders: Seeing as they wrapped their logo of the Alamo around the helmet (which I think is unique), I think they could have left their primary logo off the side. Would've been a decent opportunity to introduce some sort of secondary logo. The double red plays off each other and the silver much better than Salt Lake and their scheme. The only thing I could say is I would've omitted the side striping on the jersey.

San Diego Fleet: The colors work well together and using the chevron as the design focus makes sense for an identity based upon a carrier. I wonder if they could have made stencil-type numerals work with this set.

Things to take note of as a collective league: Disappointed that half the league (Arizona, Atlanta, San Antonio, and San Diego) went with half logo/half numerals on the helmet. The asymmetric trend is one I detest on any level of football.

Also would have like to have seen more variation amongst the uniforms. I see a lot of sleeve cap designs on the jerseys and angular striping on the pants. There's only eight teams, meaning that they each could have had truly unique designs and elements.

14 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I dunno man, this is a lot of merch for a start up league.  

It's got more backing than Arena Football or the original XFL. The XFL came out with about the same amount of gear as well. They start camp in a month so they need to get as much product out the door as possible. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

It’s also worth pointing out that since the original XFL made its debut, a whole industry of print-on-demand products have sprung up.  At least some of the t-shirts on the AAF site appear to come from those kinds of vendors.

Not to say that this is in any way a problem - on the contrary, it’s very smart to launch with a lot of available merchandise. Only that it’s easier to do so now. 

15 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I dunno man, this is a lot of merch for a start up league.  

but that adds to the professional feel.  It makes everything seem more legit if you can see and touch part of it.  Someone buys a jacket, someone else asks "sweet jacket bro - who are the legends?" and then other dude is like "what?  you don't know the legends?  the best team in the history of the AAF?" other guy be like "what's the AAF?" and jacket guy punches him out for being so ignorant and stupid not to know the legends, then when first guy wakes up, he runs out and buys a legends jacket and season tickets so he can beat up other noobs that don't know what time it is.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, Bolt957 said:

Just to share my thoughts on the unveil of each team's uniform:

Arizona Hotshots: I really love how this trio of yellow, green and orange just work well and compliment each other. Also have to commend the incorporation of the "AZ" monogram, found in their logo, inside the helmet stripe. Overall, a solid package, between the logo, colors, and uniform.

Atlanta Legends: The beautiful paring of purple and gold is hard to fumble, and it doesn't in this case either. Only gripe would be the "ATL" found vertically on either side of the jersey. Tsk tsk. It would be much better if inserted at the top of the purple pants stripe.

Birmingham Iron: Probably the biggest miss of the 8 teams. There's just this lack of a unique identity. Their uniforms could stand a few tweaks, which could result in a vast improvement.

Memphis Express: Despite the lack of the use of white, they made good decisions on the particular shades of red and blue used. Their vibrant enough to stand next to each other without bleeding into one another (like the Arizona Wildcats' monstrosities). Also, nice to see they were able to get the helmet decal to wraparound, because who doesn't enjoy those?

Orlando Apollos: Easily my favorite identity of the league. Love the logo and I do like its application on the helmet, but really interested in seeing side views to be able to clearly see the striping used on the jersey and pants; really want to know if there's a balance, if any, between the jersey yoke and the stripes.

Salt Lake Stallions: Paring silver with double blue isn't really working here. Mainly due to the lighter shade touching the silver; it only works if you use the darker blue to separate the lighter shade or dropping that shade altogether. A few tweaks to this set could take them from miss to hit.

San Antonio Commanders: Seeing as they wrapped their logo of the Alamo around the helmet (which I think is unique), I think they could have left their primary logo off the side. Would've been a decent opportunity to introduce some sort of secondary logo. The double red plays off each other and the silver much better than Salt Lake and their scheme. The only thing I could say is I would've omitted the side striping on the jersey.

San Diego Fleet: The colors work well together and using the chevron as the design focus makes sense for an identity based upon a carrier. I wonder if they could have made stencil-type numerals work with this set.

Things to take note of as a collective league: Disappointed that half the league (Arizona, Atlanta, San Antonio, and San Diego) went with half logo/half numerals on the helmet. The asymmetric trend is one I detest on any level of football.

Also would have like to have seen more variation amongst the uniforms. I see a lot of sleeve cap designs on the jerseys and angular striping on the pants. There's only eight teams, meaning that they each could have had truly unique designs and elements.

I agree with pretty much everything you say here.   My takeaways...

Birmingham-- If they want to go logo-less on the helmet, that is fine, but make the stipe distinctive by giving it a beveled "metallic" look and maybe even putting the hexbolts from the logo along the stripe to add something visual.  Then have the main logo at the top of the pant stripe, or on the sleeve just to give it something to look at. 

Salt Lake-- After seeing the shots of the uniform on a mannequin at the unveiling I think it works out better than it seems to in the marketing photo.  The dark blue seems darker, which helps the contrast with the light blue.  I like the side stripe, but I am still not sold on the light blue pants.  I think using the darker blue for the pants (and light blue socks) would make this stronger.

Atlanta-- I agree that the ATL would make much more sense on the pants, but I do like the current pant stripe (a triangle with the crown atop it.)  I still think their secondary logo (crown with the A in it) is stronger than just the crown alone, and the helmet would be better if the crown were either on both sides (with the bottom stripe in white instead of gold) or across the front of the helmet like a crown.  Purple facemask instead of the gold would also help.  The facemask is too much. 

Orlando-- When you see the actual uniforms (not the marketing image) there is a shot of the side stripes,  They are split, with a white divider between 2 thinner stripes.  Still looks strong. 

San Diego-- My only complaint is the use of the number/logo.  Had it been logo/logo on the helmets, it would be very strong.  There is a video on AAF Fan Access (Facebook) that shows an actual helmet and the yellow is much more metallic than on the photos released.

Arizona-- Along with Orlando, one of the best.  Would have gone with Green or Orange socks, but otherwise really great. 

Memphis-- No complaints.  Love the jersey and pant stripe.  The helmet is top rate. 

San Antonio-- I agree.  Get rid of the logo and maybe go with number/number on the sides or nothing at all. The rest works well together.  

Hoping that if they survive (I think we will see 3-4 seasons from them, but only if their backing is as strong as they claim it is, capitalization is key) we get some expansion, and with expansion we get to see clash uniforms.  I would love to see Orlando with an orange jersey, and most teams with a white alternate (or maybe a silver one for SA or BIR).

6 hours ago, WideRight said:

I agree with pretty much everything you say here.   My takeaways...

Birmingham-- If they want to go logo-less on the helmet, that is fine, but make the stipe distinctive by giving it a beveled "metallic" look and maybe even putting the hexbolts from the logo along the stripe to add something visual.  Then have the main logo at the top of the pant stripe, or on the sleeve just to give it something to look at. 

Salt Lake-- After seeing the shots of the uniform on a mannequin at the unveiling I think it works out better than it seems to in the marketing photo.  The dark blue seems darker, which helps the contrast with the light blue.  I like the side stripe, but I am still not sold on the light blue pants.  I think using the darker blue for the pants (and light blue socks) would make this stronger.

Atlanta-- I agree that the ATL would make much more sense on the pants, but I do like the current pant stripe (a triangle with the crown atop it.)  I still think their secondary logo (crown with the A in it) is stronger than just the crown alone, and the helmet would be better if the crown were either on both sides (with the bottom stripe in white instead of gold) or across the front of the helmet like a crown.  Purple facemask instead of the gold would also help.  The facemask is too much. 

Orlando-- When you see the actual uniforms (not the marketing image) there is a shot of the side stripes,  They are split, with a white divider between 2 thinner stripes.  Still looks strong. 

San Diego-- My only complaint is the use of the number/logo.  Had it been logo/logo on the helmets, it would be very strong.  There is a video on AAF Fan Access (Facebook) that shows an actual helmet and the yellow is much more metallic than on the photos released.

Arizona-- Along with Orlando, one of the best.  Would have gone with Green or Orange socks, but otherwise really great. 

Memphis-- No complaints.  Love the jersey and pant stripe.  The helmet is top rate. 

San Antonio-- I agree.  Get rid of the logo and maybe go with number/number on the sides or nothing at all. The rest works well together.  

Hoping that if they survive (I think we will see 3-4 seasons from them, but only if their backing is as strong as they claim it is, capitalization is key) we get some expansion, and with expansion we get to see clash uniforms.  I would love to see Orlando with an orange jersey, and most teams with a white alternate (or maybe a silver one for SA or BIR).

Let’s see how you would design these in concepts!  Haha you’ve always done great work on these boards 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

On 11/30/2018 at 5:08 PM, Gothamite said:

That's just what Starter does; this is a standard template they call the "Reigning Champ jacket".

atl-satin-fr.jpg

Interestingly, the NFL versions are reversible but the AAF jackets aren't.  Or don't appear to be, by that hanging loop inside the collar.

It's really just ripping off the old Dolphins' 80s Starter jacket.

DSC_0313.JPG?auto=format&fit=max&h=1000&

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

It's really just ripping off the old Dolphins' 80s Starter jacket.

DSC_0313.JPG?auto=format&fit=max&h=1000&

A) there’s only so many strip combinations 

b) I doubt they specifically copied this one specific jacket, it’s much more feasible that it wasn’t just a coincidence 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

17 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

A) there’s only so many strip combinations 

b) I doubt they specifically copied this one specific jacket, it’s much more feasible that it wasn’t just a coincidence 

Starter jackets in the 80s were designed based on sleeve stripes of the jerseys...so yes, this one is pretty Dolphins (or Steelers, as they had similar stripes)-specific.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRruSBx6iCSadvPk2MT9IT

Mens-Vintage-Starter-Indianapolis-Colts-

de41e99c51febeebc78b53fe22ce4d6c--nfl-se

m_59ea82ae2599fe0a25012cf9.jpg

5qOhEg4nRSaF79EiZgwp

1eea9d1ee2fd484c388e19e102914dda.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Today I received the official logo sheets for the AAF teams. As I'm an employee for the AAF, I'm not allowed to share them. However, I can share this bit of information. The primary shades of red for both San Antonio and Memphis are exactly the same. Pantone 186 is used for both teams. I don't understand why exactly, but its an oddity that I felt was worth sharing. 

Archived