Alliance of American Football - Team Names and Logos

WideRight

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After introducing secondary jerseys in the week 1 Memphis/Birmingham game, the AAF has no excuse for letting this slide.

Plus I think the Legends would have looked pretty cool in a plain white jersey with purple numbers lol

Hotter Than July > Thriller

The only potential clash of uniforms coming up in week 3 is Birmingham at Atlanta. Shouldn't be as bad as SD vs ATL, but after the complaints about tonight's game they may try to nip the next one in the bud.

SN: Two of week 3 games are rematches from week 1. Arizona at Salt Lake and San Antonio at San Diego.

4 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Yeah. Just get a stock of plain white jerseys and heat transfer colored numbers and name plates on and be simple if you're trying to emphasize the primaries. 

Yeah only one jersey was a mistake. If that's the route the wanted to take, the AAF they should have made sure none of the uniforms/colors clashed with each other. Even the UFL had home and away jerseys when it debuted with just 4 teams in 2009.

10 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

The only potential clash of uniforms coming up in week 3 is Birmingham at Atlanta. Shouldn't be as bad as SD vs ATL, but after the complaints about tonight's game they may try to nip the next one in the bud.

SN: Two of week 3 games are rematches from week 1. Arizona at Salt Lake and San Antonio at San Diego.

I hope Birmingham is the one wearing white since they managed to hose this weeks game between Atlanta and San Diego. BWB always looks better than blackout. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Birmingham would look good in a simple white jersey with black numbers and collar, black helmet, and black pants. 

On 2/17/2019 at 9:34 PM, crosfam said:

Dozens of fans are ripping the decision to wear dark jerseys that clash on the AAF facebook update comments. That and they don't like the broadcasters or camara work on nfl network. 

I agree that having both teams in coloured jerseys didn't look good at all.

But I don't understand any complaints about the broadcasters or the camera work. Maurice Jones-Drew and Marvin Lewis had great banter, and described the action beautifully, throwing in a lot of entertaining anecdotes. And the camera angles were superb, especially from straight overhead.

But the lasting impression that I have is that those Atlanta Legends uniforms are so dang beautiful, even despite the unnecessary ATL on the side. And the helmet logo is just as good.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

34 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I agree that having both teams in coloured jerseys didn't look good at all.

But I don't understand any complaints about the broadcasters or the camera work. Maurice Jones-Drew and Marvin Lewis had great banter, and described the action beautifully, throwing in a lot of entertaining anecdotes. And the camera angles were superb, especially from straight overhead.

But the lasting impression that I have is that those Atlanta Legends uniforms are so dang beautiful, even despite the unnecessary ATL on the side. And the helmet logo is just as good.

What I like even more is that Atlanta dropped the numbers. Regular decals instead of the chrome would look better in my opinion, but the flat matte maybe needs that chrome. 

On 2/17/2019 at 4:01 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Yeah that’s what gets me. Everything seems so homogenous. 

I know all teams are centrally owned but letting each team experiment with their brand would make for a more diverse and “authentic” looking league, for lack of a better term.

There's two edges to this sword. On one hand everything is very clearly designed by the same guy and/or team, which makes it all feel kind of hollow. If they'd hired a different designer/agency for each team, especially one local to the team's city, then you'd without question get some really different and unique identities for each team and it would give the impression that the clubs are more independent from one another. Bosack did a good job, but it's a very Bosack job. When I saw the work for the first time he was my first guess. 

On the other hand, though, each team is so very well done and it's clear that the branding of each team was a top priority for the AAF so it lends instant credibility to the league as something we should check out. When you hire a guy like Joe Bosack you can use that style to draw a very distinct brand for what the league means as a whole. These looks don't look like something you'd see in the NFL. They don't look like something you'd see in college (even though Bosack's done a lot of NCAA logos) or even CFL. These logos will become recognizable as the AAF style. The Arizona Hotshots, Memphis Express, and Orlando Apollos are some of my favorite sports design work I've seen in a long long time, yet I don't think any of them would feel right on an NFL expansion team. I mean that as a compliment.  

I think this deftly-handled branding is a big part of why it feels like this league is more legitimate than the UFL did. The first year of the UFL they launched with less than stellar logos, gradients, team names like Tuskers and Locos, and weird templated uniforms (the California Redwoods wore light blue and bright green for reasons that still don't make sense) and it was tougher to take it seriously, tougher for fans in those markets to get behind. The branding felt like a rushed after-thought and I think a lot of us here went "well they didn't put much work into the identities so it's not worth our time." They tried to course correct with more traditional sports branding in the following years, but it was too late at that point, among other missteps that league had. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The World Football League had templated designs. The only team that didn't use the templates was Birmingham. If anyone has a program from 1974, the cover features a shot of Gary Davidson, and on the wall behind him are all the uniforms. By the way, don't you think fans in Birmingham and Memphis are tired of fly-by-night leagues?  

5 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

The World Football League had templated designs. The only team that didn't use the templates was Birmingham. If anyone has a program from 1974, the cover features a shot of Gary Davidson, and on the wall behind him are all the uniforms. By the way, don't you think fans in Birmingham and Memphis are tired of fly-by-night leagues?  

I think that's part of why you saw smaller than expected numbers at both stadiums. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Despite the issues in B'Ham and Memphis, I expect that both will start to pull 20k as the season progresses (assuming the $250m issue is overblown and it is more an investment than a last ditch salvation play).  I worry more about Atlanta and Arizona.  Both cities have 3 other sports to contend with in the Spring (NBA in both, MLB in both, NHL in PHX and MLS in ATL) so what will happen when all those seasons plus the NCAA tournament are in full swing?   Arizona had poor attendance at their home opener, and ATL plays their first game this week, already 0-2 with no offense to speak of.  I will be shocked if they reach 15k in attendance this week. 

But speaking of uniforms, It would be cool if...

Birmingham had a white jersey/silver pants alternate.

Atlanta had a white jersey/purple pants alternate.

Orlando had an orange jersey with blue yoke alternate (still with white pants)

Salt Lake had a Royal jersey with silver pants alternate.

San Antonio had a white jersey, maroon yoke and pants alternate.

Arizona had a green jersey, yellow pant alternate.

San Diego had a white jersey, yellow pant alternate. 

13 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

"the California Redwoods wore light blue and bright green for reasons that still don't make sense"

Green for the trees, blue for the sky! 😄

They shared the league's colors .

All the teams shared the league colors that first season. California and New York were green, black and silver. Florida and Las Vegas wore blue, black and silver. Year two Las Vegas replaced blue with red. Orlando kept theirs the same. California and New York became Sacramento and Hartford and received new branding.

Signature intentionally left blank

11 hours ago, NYC Cosmos said:

WLAF had templated uniforms as well, but they had different stripe patterns for contrast and some white jerseys had sleeve caps and some didn't. When they came back as NFL Europe each team had a crazy chest design before settling back into templates that were based on NFL teams. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived