infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week 2

infrared41

There were quite a few really good uniform match ups this week and a couple not so good. I had to make some tough choices for the best list and I think those choices may surprise some of the regular readers. The worst list was a whole lot easier (and shorter.) As always, the lists are just for fun and they're just my opinion. Your opinion is may be different than mine or others who post in the thread and that's perfectly OK. All I ask is that we keep the conversation civil and limited to the uniforms.  Put 60 seconds on the clock and let's play our game.

BEST:

1. Chiefs - Colts: The only thing that would have made this one better would have been the Steelers breaking out the 70's alts with the block number font. Every game should look this good.

X5JeDl3.jpg

2. Vikings - Packers: Sunshine, Lambeau field, and two great looking uniforms. If someone wanted to put this one at #1 on their own list, I wouldn't argue, but on my list, it's #2. Great looking game.

BvUoGKa.jpg

3. Lions - 49ers: A great example of what sunshine can add to a uniform match up. The only thing I didn't like about this game was Detroit's stupid number font. The Lions came this close to having a great uniform again, but that font...ugh. Anyway, the colors in this game really popped. 

Lj2gZEl.jpg

4. Seahawks - Bears: I'm not a fan of Seattle's mono-blue look, but I really like the all white and the white over gray combos. Add in the Bears and the best home uniforms in the NFL and it's enough for the Seahawks to make a rare appearance on the best list. 

QTrbZAd.jpg

5. Colts - Redskins: I would have liked this game a lot more if Washington had gone with the gold pants. Still a great looking game. Most weeks, this one is in contention for the top spot, but this week, I liked the games ahead of this one just a little bit more. 

iYLz4qp.jpg

6. Giants - Cowboys: To those of you who may be new to my weekly lists, we've been over the Cowboy's uniform issues many times. Yes, I am aware of all the "problems" the Cowboys have, but they don't bug me all that much. Initially, I was disappointed that the Giants made the white pants the primary look with the home uniform, but now, I think it was the right choice. The gray doesn't work for me like it used to. Good looking game. 

qnG9tF4.jpg

7. Chargers - Bills: The dumb sleeve stripes are my biggest issue with the current Chargers uniforms. I like the colors, the number font is OK, but those sleeve stripes are so bad that it ruins the rest of the uniform for me. That said, there are usually a couple game a year where the Chargers benefit from a good match up and make the best list. This is one of those games.

bhjnjMc.jpg

WORST:

1. Browns - Saints: A whole lotta ugly going on here. New Orleans and the mono-black is awful. Cleveland and those horrible brown pants, the idiotic "BROWNS" wordmark, the truncated pants stripes, the dumb shoulder stripes....do I need to go on? This was easily the worst looking game of the week.  

I8LtasB.jpg

2. Ravens - Bengals: Baltimore's purple pants didn't look great and the Bengals? Well, they need all sorts of help. 

ih6tvCN.jpg

That's it for this week. We'll do it all again next week. Thanks for dropping by. 

BB52Big.jpg

I'd'a made Indianapolis/Washington higher - maybe #2.  I agree about the yellow pants, but that's still a good looking game.

I'd rate it higher than GB/MIN and SF/DET because of the "clash of eras".  Both of those games were great "color" matchups, but I like games better when both teams look like they're from the same era.  Neither MIN nor DET look "cutting edge" or "futuristic", but they're definitely more contemporary than their opponents.  I'd still rank the games high, but not above matchups where the teams look like their from around the same era.

Like any "rule", there's exceptions, so there may be weeks where I really like a SF/SEA matchup.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'd'a made Indianapolis/Washington higher - maybe #2.  I agree about the yellow pants, but that's still a good looking game.

Yeah, I went round and round on that game, but it came down to the fact that I just liked the other games better. Not a lot better, just a little better. The gold pants would have moved it up to at least #3. 

BB52Big.jpg

Colts v Redskins should be higher, maybe #1, as it's two classic looks and beautiful, contrasting colors. Seahawks v Bears wouldn't make my list because it's too much navy.

I think Ravens v Bengals got hosed this week. The purple pants are a pretty great addition that means they aren't going with their :censored:ty black pants. As for the Bengals, I'll maintain my feeling that if they ditched the side panels they'd have a damn near perfect look. Even with em I love those jerseys and I think that matchup was on the wrong list... Especially cuz it was a festival of Halloween colors!!!

It's such a shame that the Saints v Browns looked so bad. Put the Saints in gold pants and put the Browns back in their classic uniforms and it's a gorgeous matchup:

browns-sack-saints.jpg

Better combos with their current sets would still be alright:

AP_17223078069844%20(1).jpg?itok=NUxl4CW

Why do you feel the Bears have the best home uniform in the league? Also, who do you feel has the best road and alternate uniform looks? 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Disagree on your assessment of the Ravens' purple pants as I think that should be their primary road look. It's still a bad looking matchup because of the other issues inherent to the Ravens and Bengals' looks, so you're probably right on with that game's position.

The Lions and 49ers looked good, even if it was kind of like seeing a slightly worse version of a 49ers-Cowboys matchup.

100% agree about the Redskins-Colts looking better with Washington in gold pants.

7 minutes ago, Chawls said:

Why do you feel the Bears have the best home uniform in the league? Also, who do you feel has the best road and alternate uniform looks? 

Because I like the Bears home uniform more than I like the other 31 home uniforms? Isn’t that pretty much why anyone’s favorite uniform is their favorite? Best road uniform goes to the Raiders. Best alternate is the Dolphins. 

BB52Big.jpg

The Jags will certainly not show up on any "worst" list, but I can't see them making the "best" list unless it's the perfect matchup.  They're close, yet so far.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Jags will certainly not show up on any "worst" list, but I can't see them making the "best" list unless it's the perfect matchup.  They're close, yet so far.

I kinda thought we got that against the Saints in the preseason.

kess.png

Obviously, the Saints gold works great against the classic combo. The SNF game against the Steelers could also come close since I suspect they'll wear teal then, but I fear they won't be using the white pants and more likely will bust out the all-teal for that occasion. Ouch.

5 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Colts v Redskins should be higher, maybe #1, as it's two classic looks and beautiful, contrasting colors. Seahawks v Bears wouldn't make my list because it's too much navy.

I think Ravens v Bengals got hosed this week. The purple pants are a pretty great addition that means they aren't going with their :censored:ty black pants. As for the Bengals, I'll maintain my feeling that if they ditched the side panels they'd have a damn near perfect look. Even with em I love those jerseys and I think that matchup was on the wrong list... Especially cuz it was a festival of Halloween colors!!!

It's such a shame that the Saints v Browns looked so bad. Put the Saints in gold pants and put the Browns back in their classic uniforms and it's a gorgeous matchup:

browns-sack-saints.jpg

Better combos with their current sets would still be alright:

AP_17223078069844%20(1).jpg?itok=NUxl4CW

I think the new Jags bothers me more not just because of the lack of teal on the primaries, but because if there was a team to go black and white from the shoulders down, I wanted that to be the Bengals. I loved their white with black color rush and would have loved to see that be the basis of their refresh. With the orange crazy helmet it would be great balance and wouldn't need so much going on with the rest of the set. The Jags though NEED the teal with their smooth black helmet.

A matchup I personally would've put on the best list:

miami-dolphins-kenyan-drake-breaks-away-

I like the tweak the Dolphins made to their set, and them paired with what I consider the Jets best look makes for a really nice looking game. 

As for the worst game.... Cardinals-Rams would be my dishonourable mention given the Rams mish-mash of a set and the fact the Cards are continuing to wear those usly piped messes they call a uniform. 

8747ceb1-b117-4cad-a67e-edfa5700f1b4-car

Besides that, pretty good list as always @infrared41

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Because I like the Bears home uniform more than I like the other 31 home uniforms? Isn’t that pretty much why anyone’s favorite uniform is their favorite? Best road uniform goes to the Raiders. Best alternate is the Dolphins. 

Is it the colors? The stripes? Something else? Either way, I don’t see it. For me though?

Home: Chiefs; Dolphins

Road: Lions

Alt: Rams throwback

Color Rush: Steelers

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

7 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

A matchup I personally would've put on the best list:

miami-dolphins-kenyan-drake-breaks-away-

I like the tweak the Dolphins made to their set, and them paired with what I consider the Jets best look makes for a really nice looking game. 

As for the worst game.... Cardinals-Rams would be my dishonourable mention given the Rams mish-mash of a set and the fact the Cards are continuing to wear those usly piped messes they call a uniform. 

8747ceb1-b117-4cad-a67e-edfa5700f1b4-car

Besides that, pretty good list as always @infrared41

Rams wore all white this week, not the navy pants. Either way still 2 well below average looking uniforms though.

a2BRS8U.png

Archived