infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week 2

infrared41

I thought the Browns wore their best road look of their new set. (which isn't say much) They got it right by wearing the brown pants with the orange socks. Just wish it didn't say BROWNS on the pant legs.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

12 hours ago, Chawls said:

Is it the colors? The stripes? Something else? Either way, I don’t see it. 

A.) It's because I like it the best. How many times over the years have I explained that my only criteria is whether or not I like the look? 

B.) I don't care. 

EDIT: If you'd like a more detailed explanation, just read what my friend and esteemed colleague, Ice_Cap posted below. 

BB52Big.jpg

On 9/19/2018 at 6:31 AM, Chawls said:

Is it the colors? The stripes? Something else? Either way, I don’t see it.

I can certainly see the appeal to the Bears’ home uniforms. 

Good colour scheme. Navy blue, white, and orange is solid. Good contrast. 

Good colour balance. The colours are distributed in a balanced manner. Blue helmets, blue jerseys, white pants, blue socks. It’s a simple, effective look. And distinct too.

Distinct yet traditional striping. A big thing fans of modern looks like to harp on is that striping like you see on the Packers, Steelers, Lions, and old Browns jerseys are basically the same, just with different colours. 

You cannot say this about the Bears. The Bears’ striping is distinctly their own, and yet it remains very traditional. It manages uniqueness without looking like garbage (see the Titans’ look for an example of a unique yet garabage look). 

Distinct yet traditional numbers. They don’t lean on block numbers, whose wide-spread use among older looks is another complaint modernist fans have about traditional looks. You can’t pin a reliance on block on the Bears. 

Their numbers are distinctly their own too. Standing out as unique without seeing over-designed like some modern fonts. No needless angles added in for the sake of them like with the Chargers. Or dumb sails like the Vikings. Just a distinct yet no-nonsense font. Perfect for the Bears and Chicago. 

Consistency. The striping on the sleeves and socks line up. It’s a minor thing, but it’s becoming rarer. 

A fun quirk. The GSH monogram. It’s not intrusive. It’s not garish. It blends in with the striping. It’s an Easter egg for older fans and football historians, and a point of trivia for other people who look up what it means. A small, unobtrusive quirk that elevates the uniform without taking away from the overall design.  

In many ways the Bears’ home look is the Platonic ideal of what a football uniform should be. From colour balance to striping to the smaller details. 

Is it my personal favourite uniform in football? I wouldn’t say that. I have my own preferences 

That said? It’s all subjective and I can certainly see the appeal and appreciation for what the Bears wear. 

4 hours ago, PittsburghSucks said:

I thought the Browns wore their best road look of their new set. (which isn't say much) They got it right by wearing the brown pants with the orange socks. Just wish it didn't say BROWNS on the pant legs.

Agree to disagree, but the browns best looks in my mind are

orange/brown/orange for the dark uni and orange/white/white on the road.

The brown pants really weigh down the look.

22 hours ago, Chawls said:

Thanks for replying to my inquiry without being snarky about it, @Ice_Cap

I think what a lot of us need to understand is ultimately so much of this is subjective. 

As an example. I’ve seen you say you think the Panthers’ look is dated. I think it’s a modern classic in the NFL. 

You could trout out your reasons for thinking it’s a bad look. I could trout out my reasons for thinking it’s a good look. 

Who’s right? Well neither of us are, really. When you strip away everything else it comes down to the fact that you dislike the uniform because you dislike it. And I like it because I like it. 

It’s never a bad idea to remember that sort of thing. It’s all personal preference and opinion. No one here’s giving out the uniform gospel. 

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I think what a lot of us need to understand is ultimately so much of this is subjective. 

As an example. I’ve seen you say you think the Pathers’ look is dated. I think it’s a modern classic in the NFL. 

You could trout out your reasons for thinking it’s a bad look. I could trout out my reasons for thinking it’s a good look. 

Who’s right? Well neither of us are, really. When you strip away everything else it comes down to the fact that you dislike the uniform because you dislike it. And I like it because I like it. 

It’s never a bad idea to remember that sort of thing. It’s all personal preference and opinion. No one here’s giving out the uniform gospel. 

Well stated.

Hell, over time, my own opinions change on uniforms , so ...

On 9/19/2018 at 10:18 AM, Gupti said:

I kinda thought we got that against the Saints in the preseason.

kess.png

Obviously, the Saints gold works great against the classic combo. The SNF game against the Steelers could also come close since I suspect they'll wear teal then, but I fear they won't be using the white pants and more likely will bust out the all-teal for that occasion. Ouch.

Since they wear black pants so much, I don’t think I ever noticed how bad the saints “gold” (faded khaki) pants are. If I was them I’d wear black too if that was my other option. They really need to other be metallic or me mothballed. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Since they wear black pants so much, I don’t think I ever noticed how bad the saints “gold” (faded khaki) pants are. If I was them I’d wear black too if that was my other option. They really need to other be metallic or me mothballed. 

They need to switch to the color rush gold.

YVRMUBj.png

Archived