MLB x Nike Aeroswift - Washington Nationals (30/30)

Victormrey

After the announcement of Nike taking over the MLB in 2020 I wanted to start a new series, but given the multiple series relating the topic (all of them with great designs), I wanted to do something different.

This series will only feature full-colour alt uniforms, whose designs will be inspired by the style Nike is currently using for their soccer kits (that’s where the series title comes from).

Every team will use a pullover template, which tries to combine classic baseball uniforms with Nike’s Aeroswift style:

64M7Okx.png

The team list and order will be the following:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Minnesota Twins

New York Yankees

Oakland Athletics

Seattle Mariners

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

Toronto Blue Jays

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Arizona Diamondbacks

Atlanta Braves

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

Miami Marlins

Milwaukee Brewers

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

St. Louis Cardinals

Washington Nationals

I'll be posting new designs on a weekly basis, every Wednesday and Sunday. I hope you enjoy this series as much as I did designing the uniforms!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's waste no time and get this started! First stop: Baltimore.

The Orioles set feature a subtle front pattern which, using diagonal pinstripes, tries to evoke the city flag. As for the wordmarks, I got rid of the borders from both home and road scripts and numbers.

EydhSl0.png

5me5gQo.png

C&C appreciated!

I'm not a fan of all-one-color uniforms in general, but you do it relatively well. The all-orange is kinda loud to me, but whatever.

I love the diagonal split line pattern! I'd love to see subtle sublimated texture to spice up baseball uniforms (especially the blank white ones). My only worry is that the Nike burst pattern is emphasized equally or more with the team-specific pattern, when it should really be focused on less.

Still, your template is clean and the idea is interesting! Good work.

On 9/20/2018 at 1:57 AM, n312rb said:

I am one of those guys who doesn't give a hoot about tradition in baseball, these are amazing!  Can't wait to see what you do with the Rocks.

Thank you! You'll have to wait for the Rockies, but I hope the wait will be worth it ?

On 9/20/2018 at 5:15 AM, coco1997 said:

Really intriguing premise for a series. Looking forward to some outside the box designs!

Thanks!

On 9/20/2018 at 5:28 AM, itsmb8 said:

For real life, obviously these wouldnt be used in games just because of traditional looks, but I can already tell these would be SOLID BP or Spring Training uniforms.

Thank you ? Indeed, this series isn't supposed to be realistic, but a mix of styles

On 9/21/2018 at 10:42 PM, vtgco said:

I'm not a fan of all-one-color uniforms in general, but you do it relatively well. The all-orange is kinda loud to me, but whatever.

I love the diagonal split line pattern! I'd love to see subtle sublimated texture to spice up baseball uniforms (especially the blank white ones). My only worry is that the Nike burst pattern is emphasized equally or more with the team-specific pattern, when it should really be focused on less.

Still, your template is clean and the idea is interesting! Good work.

Thanks for the feedback! I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but one-colour uniforms will be the key element of this series, except for a couple of teams.

The sleeve pattern I'll be using will always be in the same colour than the front graphic. Given Nike has make much more pronounced versions, I think this was it's OK.

Coming next, the Boston Red Sox:

The BoSox will be one of the few teams (probably the only one) to feature two different front graphics: the road design features a pine tree on the front, inspired by the New England flag, while for the home one I've used an "X" graphic, based on the American uniforms from the American Revolutionary War.

At first I thought on using the home pattern for both unis, but @Carolingian Steamroller suggested to use a different one for the home design, since it would resemble the British uniforms.

The home design is based on the new Wolfsburg home kit and the graph uses green as secondary colour, inspired by the Green Monster.

25d6Vwh.png

YxCRlI8.png

I like the sublimation, I think that is the way forward in baseball.

Is there a rule of the uniforms being essentially color rush-style?  Can the red top go with either blue or white pants? 

On the Orioles set, the orange shirt and black pants would be a fine combination!

7CAjavE.png

That New England pine tree looks really good. Any reason for the diamonds?

The straight wordmarks are really cool too.

I'm still not feeling the monochrome, though. White pants would really help, as would pants + sleeve striping.

Also, I feel like you should at least keep the NOB and the team-specific fonts, because it's already pretty templaty.

Sorry to complain about the basis of your concepts... I guess just want the best of both worlds! (Cool sublimated patterns + striping/scripts/fonts current of baseball jerseys)

On 9/23/2018 at 8:10 PM, n312rb said:

I like the sublimation, I think that is the way forward in baseball.

Is there a rule of the uniforms being essentially color rush-style?  Can the red top go with either blue or white pants? 

On the Orioles set, the orange shirt and black pants would be a fine combination!

Thanks! The designs don't have to be mandatorily one-colour, but I think that's what Nike'd do. The pants can be interchangeable, but I'm avoiding using white pants to make something different.

Here's the Orioles set with the pants changed:

YDuEEfA.png

zOYoKnz.png

On 9/24/2018 at 5:50 AM, coco1997 said:

Great job on Boston! I really dig the non-arched scripts on the jerseys.

Thank you!

On 9/24/2018 at 6:05 AM, BellaSpurs said:

They’re well made but this reminds me of the Mariners future prediction unis, purposefully ugly. Hopefully baseball never takes this route tbh. But good work I guess, the subliminated designs are interesting.

Well, I think one man's meat is another man's poison. The designs are heavily inspired by Nike's soccer style, which I reall like.

On 9/25/2018 at 6:09 AM, vtgco said:

That New England pine tree looks really good. Any reason for the diamonds?

The straight wordmarks are really cool too.

I'm still not feeling the monochrome, though. White pants would really help, as would pants + sleeve striping.

Also, I feel like you should at least keep the NOB and the team-specific fonts, because it's already pretty templaty.

Sorry to complain about the basis of your concepts... I guess just want the best of both worlds! (Cool sublimated patterns + striping/scripts/fonts current of baseball jerseys)

Thanks! The striping pattern comes from Nike latest designs. As I said, I'll avoid using white pants, except for certain teams. As for the striping, I wanted to focus the designs on the front patterns, that's why I've removed it from both sleeves and pants. I also tried to combine it with the Aeroswift sleeve pattern, and they didn't look very good together.

I completely forgot about Red Sox's custom numbers! Here's the corrected version:

8vK7Gfh.png

hfIud52.png

New week, new post! Time for the Chicago White Sox.

The Chi Sox designs try to to bring back their famous 80's uniforms with a twist: the front chest band uses the same style than the pattern from the sleeves and pants, inspired by this jersey. I decided to try a new colour combination, going for powder blue and deep navy blue. I also decided to use the batting man logo on the front for the second design.

LS7HdAp.png

nuuB6cm.png

On 10/1/2018 at 2:25 AM, coco1997 said:

Looks great!

My only complaint is that the pattern is almost invisible on the road set because it's so dark. 

Thanks! I actually made the road pattern darker, because I couldn't see it. This way I have no problem... Maybe it depends on each screen.

IMPORTANT

Due to the lack of time, from this week I'll be posting only one design per week (every Sunday).

On 10/5/2018 at 1:53 AM, Carlos Pérez said:

Love the Cleveland unis, especially the blue one. It's a nice detail to include the Iroquois flag!

Thank you!

Time for Detroit.

The Tigers set feature a subtle tiger pattern. I decided to use the "Tigers" wordmark, apart from the traditional road script.

R6tHO0D.png

8ovosHR.png

Archived