SportsLogos.Net News

2019 MLB Changes

43 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

just curious if anyone had any backstory or reasoning as to why the Mets basically had the same New York wordmark as the Yankees in the late 80s?

Image result for gary carter mets

I can only presume that they were looking for something clean and modern to compliment their racing-stripe jerseys.  The old style lettering would have been very jarring on that jersey.

Perhaps they didn’t think it read as “Yankees” to them.  Keep in mind that the Yanks themselves almost abandoned that road wordmark a decade before, didn’t see it as important to their brand. 

On 1/10/2019 at 6:31 AM, Ray Lankford said:

It's very Padres that the border looks almost the exact same as the piping on their 04-11 alts:

ikxpbcbis0c7dnbghqrwzn3rd.gif

The "50" resembles the numbers from that era of uniforms too. 

I was always fond of the 1987 jersey. Too bad it was only used for that season. I'm not sure how true this is but it apparently wasn't well liked by some of the players.

Image result for mets 1987

20 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

The "50" resembles the numbers from that era of uniforms too. 

I'm pretty sure it's the custom number font they created that matches the wordmark but they only ever use on social media.

The Braves will supposedly announce a new uniform at their upcoming Chop Fest event on Saturday 1/19.

If I called the shots:

Primarily wear the classic white and gray, the main uniforms are too good to be minimized with too much alternate uniform usage.

Wear the traditional navy/red cap full time, including on the road (as opposed to the all navy cap with the gray set).

Use the navy road set at most once a week (you can keep the all navy cap for this set, but only this set). This uniform is worn way too much on the road.

Keep the cream throwbacks (still think they are one of the best in baseball), probably once a week.

Pick select weekends to wear powder blue Dale Murphy and Hank Aaron feather throwbacks, they don’t need to be part of the regular rotation.

—————

What more do we possibly need? I can’t imagine what this new uniform could be, unless it’s another throwback.

Also, I’m completely against the red jerseys. They stunk with Chipper and the current flag themed ones aren’t great, either. Look like a minor league team.

Maybe they are going to ditch the tomahawk and just go with wordmark? 

32 minutes ago, bowld said:

Maybe they are going to ditch the tomahawk and just go with wordmark? 

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm actually kinda shocked there hasn't been more backlash about it with everything thats been going on with Chief Wahoo. 

Within 10 years, Braves will have a patriotic meaning (land of the free, home of the brave) instead of Native American.

12 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Within 10 years, Braves will have a patriotic meaning (land of the free, home of the brave) instead of Native American.

Just change the tomahawk to a fireman’s axe. That’s a little less unfortunate implications than going from an unapproved Native American identity to a ‘Murica identity. 

I wonder if the Braves will “promote” the cream alternate to primary home (and either keep cream or make it white) and then make a road grey to match. So basically a set pretty close to what they wore in ‘66:

8352136.jpg

90ac86caff62fe14f222c6b207203e2c.jpg

(but with “Atlanta” instead)

To be honest, I’d be completely 100% fine with that. 

The Braves have formally acknowledged the change (previously the note was buried in an event description on the adjacent property outside the ballpark, the Battery).

Notice how they use the plural “uniforms” as well as “refreshed.” That definitely suggests existing uniforms will be updated. If that’s the case, then I’ll be hoping for some consistency across the board. The two primary sets have the classic triple striping. The navy jersey has no striping with a tonal script, while the pants have a single stripe. The cream throwback uses a single stripe.

I’m guessing this is where they’ll drop the tomahawk. Use the cream throwback as the base design and build around that (probably white instead of cream, though). Use a similarly themed gray set. Perhaps a navy blue alternate, but I would prefer to see either a red or white script instead of navy on navy. No red jersey. I would limit it to only the navy cap with the red bill. Maybe a throwback mixed in. Keep it simple.

I don't think the tomahawk will be dropped.. no need for that honestly. As we saw with last year's spring training cap, they're going to feature it in any which way they like. I don't think it's a complete overhaul, but some consistency with piping and maybe a few tweaks here and there.

The Nationals already have the patriotic stars and stripes theme. The Indians are becoming as bland as possible. So are the Red Sox and Twins. I think the Braves will differentiate from them without going overboard, as we still have one of the more iconic uniforms in MLB.

21 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I’m guessing this is where they’ll drop the tomahawk.

Doesn't look promising. Unless, of course, he's not wearing the new uniform.

fEDgjqC.png

14 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

I don't think the tomahawk will be dropped.. no need for that honestly. As we saw with last year's spring training cap, they're going to feature it in any which way they like.

Yeah, I mean, they call their fan fest "Chop Fest."

1TMqiXb.jpg

I'm hoping for a new Navy Jersey That has the Headspoon Piping to match the white and grey jerseys, and a Red script "Braves" with Red Tomahawk. I like the current Navy, but would prefer it to be more along the lines of the other jerseys. 

I also hope for a new Red, more similar to the previous one and not the Stars/Stripes version.

This would make their whites and reds for home, and grey and navys for away games, with the red or navy jerseys limited to once or twice a week.  

10 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

Doesn't look promising. Unless, of course, he's not wearing the new uniform.

fEDgjqC.png

Yeah, I mean, they call their fan fest "Chop Fest."

1TMqiXb.jpg

Unless the home uniform has zero changes, he’s not wearing the new uniform. That’s the exact same primary jersey. Also, the Braves have been using those same GIFs on social media for a few years now. 95% sure that’s just a recycled GIF.

It would be stupid not to look just like the Milwaukee Braves and the great teams of the '90s. They're already deviating too much as it is by even having alternates, and not even good ones.

2 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

That's what I thought when I was a kid.