SportsLogos.Net News

2019 MLB Changes

I wonder if the Braves set would look better without the headspoon. Replace it with three-color piping around the collar; or just leave the collar empty. The piping along the placket just seams to muddy up the wordmark and tomahawk. 

No problem with these. I'm glad they didn't get rid of the tomahawk. The blue and red jerseys I could do without but whatta ya gonna do?

The Braves are a case where building a matching road script is an issue. This applies to everywhere they’ve played. Shameless self plug:

jGq9xYb.png

Boston is probably the easiest, with Atlanta as a close second and Milwaukee as a very distant third. While their latest attempt is the best they’ve done, it could use a little refinement in the angling of the A, the height of the “t” cross bars and the line between the “a” and “n.”

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Braves are a case where building a matching road script is an issue. This applies to everywhere they’ve played. Shameless self plug:

jGq9xYb.png

Boston is probably the easiest, with Atlanta as a close second and Milwaukee as a very distant third. While their latest attempt is the best they’ve done, it could use a little refinement in the angling of the A, the height of the “t” cross bars and the line between the “a” and “n.”

That “M” is really awkward. 

I think they would have been better off using the road script from the Brewers in the late 1940s, when they were briefly a Braves farm club. 

1951_roadjersey_eff.jpg

1951_roadjerseys.jpgJohnnyLogan_c1948.jpg

Just replace the tail with the tomahawk, and it’s a great Milwaukee Braves road jersey.  

55 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That “M” is really awkward. 

I think they would have been better off using the road script from the Brewers in the late 1940s, when they were briefly a Braves farm club. 

1951_roadjersey_eff.jpg

Just replace the tail with the tomahawk, and it’s a great Milwaukee Braves road jersey.  

I see where you’re coming from, and I disagree. I’d rather the cursive “font” match than have two noticeably different styles. Besides, the “M” has a construction that isn’t all that different from the “B” (one line for the left bar, and another for the other parts). I don’t think it’s all that awkward.

The American Association “M” looks too different from the Braves’ “B” to work. It’s not nearly curvy enough for my liking. It’s like how the Dodgers’ first “Los Angeles” script differed from the home wordmark:

6366611958.gif6366151959.gif

Little differences make it a tad disjointed. If the Braves had redone their cursive script to match the AA Brewers’ road script (albeit with the tomahawk replacing the tail), then I’d be more inclined to like it.

Apologies for the double post, but I have to agree with @Gothamite now. The AA Brewers-style M, with a few adjustments to make it look more like the Atlanta "A," makes the script a heck of a lot less awkward.

Ai5qjQW.png

Thanks, Gothamite! It just goes to show you how difficult it can be to make a road script after-the-fact, especially on a script font as fussy as the Braves' lettering.

Back to the point of the Braves' updates, I find it interesting that they didn't make the "715" uniforms (or a modernization of them) an alternate. Heck, they already had the perfect cap for that purpose:

braves-mlb-diamond-era-bp-white-navy-new

It'd be a better alt cap than the lone tomahawk.

I prefer the old script, but it really doesn't matter. They are basically the same.

The one thing they should have done was go back to red brims on the road.

Just now, Ark said:

I prefer the old script, but it really doesn't matter. They are basically the same.

The one thing they should have done was go back to red brims on the road.

Absolutely.  If they want to sell a Yankee-style cap, that's what alternate uniforms are for.  But when your home cap is as great as the Braves' home cap is, you should wear it with the roads too.

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Absolutely.  If they want to sell a Yankee-style cap, that's what alternate uniforms are for.  But when your home cap is as great as the Braves' home cap is, you should wear it with the roads too.

Also, for the fifty bajilionth time, Oakland and Cincinnati should do the same. It's even more eggregious for both of these teams because they don't have separate batting helmets for their road sets (unlike the Braves):

8265227141.jpg?w=483Joey%20Votto131605_0.jpg?itok=JzkxeohS

If they need an alternate cap, just rock a kelly green one, a royal blue Philadelphia-style one, or a logo cap with the white elephant. In Cincy's case, how about a white- or grey-crowned cap as an alt?

Edited by SFGiants58

Apparently American Family Insurance is taking over in Milwaukee.  No more Miller Park after next season after Miller declined to renew their naming rights deal.

46 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

Apparently American Family Insurance is taking over in Milwaukee.  No more Miller Park after next season after Miller declined to renew their naming rights deal.

Maybe now the Brewers can change their look from the current, miller brewer look back to the ball in glove logo. (Still gonna call it miller park tho. Rolls off the tongue better)

It should be American Family Insurance Stadium. It's a nod to the old park and an acknowledgment that a big hulking warehouse is not a park or a field.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2019/01/22/american-family-insurance-will-replace-miller-as-brewers-stadium-name-sponor/2644445002/

The Marcus Amphitheater changed its name? Wow, I haven't been back up there in a while.

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It should be American Family Insurance Stadium. It's a nod to the old park and an acknowledgment that a big hulking warehouse is not a park or a field.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2019/01/22/american-family-insurance-will-replace-miller-as-brewers-stadium-name-sponor/2644445002/

The Marcus Amphitheater changed its name? Wow, I haven't been back up there in a while.

I could see AmFam Field even though that is stupid.  It will always be Miller Park anyway.

1 hour ago, Raptorman415 said:

Maybe now the Brewers can change their look from the current, miller brewer look back to the ball in glove logo. (Still gonna call it miller park tho. Rolls off the tongue better)

I don't mind the script M, but I guess if there was ever a time to do a rebrand and possibly move on from it, this would be it.

22 hours ago, Survival79 said:

I wonder if the Braves set would look better without the headspoon. Replace it with three-color piping around the collar; or just leave the collar empty. The piping along the placket just seams to muddy up the wordmark and tomahawk. 

Hmmm... nope.

10Yrpdm.png

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I didn't even realize that either. Haven't worked a summer fest since '16 so that makes sense then.

13 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I expect this to go over as well as the attempted rename of the Sears Tower.  Miller Park was the perfect compromise between corporate sponsorship and having a name with entrenched meaning in the community.

On the plus side, maybe this will finally be the kick in the pants they need to get rid of those terrible Miller inspired uniforms.

47 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Does anyone care that sears tower is Willis tower now?

Not sure how much people care, but people of a certain age still call it Sears Tower in conversation and nobody thinks anything of it. 

I imagine the same will go for Miller Park, Safeco Field, and it’s my understanding that many still refer to Progressive Field as “The Jake” or Jacobs Field. 

1 hour ago, Brandon9485 said:

Not sure how much people care, but people of a certain age still call it Sears Tower in conversation and nobody thinks anything of it.

Hell. I'm 18 and call it Sears Tower. I've never heard anyone say Willis Tower unless it's in an article or on TV.

Miller Park was perfect. They might as well renamed it :censored: beer coliseum