SportsLogos.Net News

2019 MLB Changes

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

As for the 90s scripts, I stand by my preference. But even if they brought back the 1982 scripts wholesale, you won't hear any complaints out of me. 

Besides, if they end up winning the World Series or even the NLCS in the retros, you'd kind of have to make them the full time home unis.

I don't know.  I have a feeling we won't see the retro set at all for the playoffs.  Hope I'm wrong.  I have tix for Friday, which is a normal retro night, so we shall see. 

It's a damn shame that the color scheme is so drab and its paired with Times New Roman numbers and NOB, cause I really like the modern "Milwaukee" and "Brewers" scripts. I honestly would not mind the modern script in the historical royal and yellow...

ttfelv66500qiz4fenp9hphn5.png

1264_milwaukee_brewers-jersey-2016.png

I have major issues with both those scripts. Starting with the fact that the home one is unbalanced and left-heavy.  And the huge white hole in the “B” looks like a target for opposing pitchers to plunk a batter.  And the little vestigial tail!  Besides, what kind of script needs an outline and two drop-shadows?  Just terrible. 

Not to mention that “Milwaukee” script was obviously never intended to be on a uniform, which is why it has that awful blocky shadow between the “w” and “a”. 

The Brewers have never had logos as bad as this.  Even the hand-me-downs from Seattle at least had some proper balance.  These are overly-designed monstrosities, devoid of character, and can’t be replaced soon enough. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I have major issues with both those scripts. Starting with the fact that the home one is unbalanced and left-heavy.  And the huge white hole in the “B” looks like a target for opposing pitchers to plunk a batter.  And the little vestigial tail!  Besides, what kind of script needs an outline and two drop-shadows?  Just terrible. 

Not to mention that “Milwaukee” script was obviously never intended to be on a uniform, which is why it has that awful blocky shadow between the “w” and “a”. 

The Brewers have never had logos as bad as this.  Even the hand-me-downs from Seattle at least had some proper balance.  These are overly-designed monstrosities, devoid of character, and can’t be replaced soon enough. 

Could use some tweaks here and there,  sure.  But It's not THAT bad. 

The current Brewers scripts reflect a dated aesthetic that not even actual beer making companies use anymore. It looks like something picked up at an auction when Applebee's updated their branding. I have no great love for their old looks either, but I will take literally anything that that depressing 2000 mess.

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

If the Brewers removed the drop-shadows, I think those scripts would both be fine. 

23 minutes ago, msu said:

If the Brewers removed the drop-shadows, I think those scripts would both be fine. 

It would take more than removing a drop-shadow to make this script "fine".

cropped_GettyImages-515634644.jpg?ts=145

Individually, no single problem with the scripts is a huge deal.  But when considered all together, they show what a mess this identity is. 

And if you have to change a whole bunch of things to make a wordmark "fine", then you should probably just change the damn wordmark.

12 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I don't know.  I have a feeling we won't see the retro set at all for the playoffs.  Hope I'm wrong.  I have tix for Friday, which is a normal retro night, so we shall see. 

They wore them for the entire Detroit series based on superstition and won every game.  I'd be surprised if they quit now.

QuXZlNy.png

Just a quick little mock-up. Yeah, these look fine to me. I think the Brewers identity gets more hate than it deserves. If they removed the drop-shadows and didn't have those bad Times New Roman numbers, it wouldn't be a bad look. They'd also have to pick a color scheme whether that is blue/yellow, navy/yellow, or navy/gold -- just pick one and stick with it.

You'll have to fix that target-B and the truncated vestigial tail, and then maybe it'll be approaching "fine".  Would still need re-balancing so it's not so heavy towards the left.

3 minutes ago, msu said:

I think the Brewers identity gets more hate than it deserves. If they removed the drop-shadows and didn't have those bad Times New Roman numbers, it wouldn't be a bad look. They'd also have to pick a color scheme whether that is blue/yellow, navy/yellow, or navy/gold -- just pick one and stick with it.

Sure, if you changed everything about their identity, it wouldn't be so bad.  ? 

The only thing I would change on the Brewers is the TNR scripts. I like the colors (IMO it fits for a “brewery” team), the scripts are fine, and I absolutely love the cap logo. However, their throwbacks look nice as well, so I don’t really care what they do.

On 10/1/2018 at 4:44 PM, Proc said:

Well, after a season of the Tigers going with the big "D" on the caps, I am hoping for a return to the smaller "D" or at least down size this one a bit.  The fan's reaction in Motown to the larger letter on the cap was not well-received at all.

source?

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

source?

Probably overheard two old guys saying it in the row behind him at a Tigers game one random day in mid May. 

5 hours ago, msu said:

QuXZlNy.png

The Middle Script, with the Navy BiG Logo equals the perfect modern Brewers look in my opinion.

1525_milwaukee_brewers-cap-2016.png

Also, can somebody please give an example of the messed-up Brewers logo? I know when things wet Digital, a graphic got messed up, but I've never been able to figure out what it is. Can somebody please show me?

26 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

The Middle Script, with the Navy BiG Logo equals the perfect modern Brewers look in my opinion.

1525_milwaukee_brewers-cap-2016.png

Also, can somebody please give an example of the messed-up Brewers logo? I know when things wet Digital, a graphic got messed up, but I've never been able to figure out what it is. Can somebody please show me?

The little blue sliver between the "thumb" of the glove and the left side of the M should be white.

49 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

But, as @Gothamite pointed out, the script is based on a style of branding that actual beer companies have moved away from.  So how it could be considered a good look for the Brewers is not registering with me.  

For instance, when the Brewers adopted their current look, Miller Lite's (which the uniforms clearly took their share of inspiration from) branding looked like this.

bud-light-clipart-miller-lite-beer-7.jpg

Now, Miller Lite cans look like this.
miller-lite.jpg

It's hard to not draw a parallel between this and the Brewers uniforms.  Especially when the Brewers wore the uniforms that inspired the current "retros," Miller Lite cans looked like this.

1992-can-do-not-enlarge.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Miller Lite actually looked liked this in 2000 when the Brewers adopted the look.

The point still stands that they need to update their look.

You're right... I always associate the current unis with the opening of Miller Park which was the plan, if not for Big Blue (RIP).

But it wasn't much longer before we saw the string of over-designed blue cans. Their branding has gone completely in the other direction recently... and for reasons similar to why the Brewers need to.

I've wanted forever for the Rockies to drop black and just own purple.  Purple and white would lend itself to some very classic and timeless looks that would stand out because they're using a color that no one else does.