SportsLogos.Net News

2019 MLB Changes

The gray-crowned caps looked awful on the field.  There's a reason they were abandoned quickly by each team.

Only the Royals came close to pulling it off.  The Pirates were egregiously terrible because at the time their uniforms had pinstripes (one of the most mismatched and idiotic uniform sets ever) so the plain gray cap clashed with the pinstriped gray uni.

2 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Pet peeve on the BP (and all on-field caps) caps. If the crown and the brim are different colors, then the squatchee has to match the brim. Looks terrible otherwise.

Yes yes YES.   New Era has been pushing this style for years, and I hate it. 😠

24 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

And the Nationals.  Especially the Nationals. 

Eh, shoot me I know, but their normal is better

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Some of those have great designs. Shame they’re being squandered on such gimmicky material.

I love the Diamond Era hats. I have a couple and they are great to wear in hot weather.

Prolight seemed like such a mistake. Was there any point to it besides presumably being cheaper/easier to manufacture?

5 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Prolight seemed like such a mistake. Was there any point to it besides presumably being cheaper/easier to manufacture?

It’s proprietary.  It’s recognizable.  Which means it’s marketable.  Like Nike with its “Pro Combat” templates or whatever, sometimes manufacturers wanting everyone to know they’re the manufacturer is the whole point.  

I think Fanatics bought/licensed the Prolight material to make the 2018 NHL draft hats (which are decent and better without the plastic/rubber logos)

12 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

@Gothamite.... was the embroidery on the BIG always this thick/raised or is this new?

Men's Milwaukee Brewers New Era Blue/Yellow 2019 Spring Training 59FIFTY Fitted Hat

Definitely seems thicker than in the past, look at this one...

Men's Milwaukee Brewers New Era Navy 2018 Postseason Alternate Side Patch 59FIFTY Fitted Hat

This actually has quite a bit to do with where exactly the hat is produced. The US made on fields will always have the latter example you’ve posted when it comes to embroidery, while the imported caps usually have the former. The first example looks absolutely atrocious to me, but they’re cheaper to make in that style because the embroidery machines are less expensive, and produce an inferior product. Some of the Chinese made on fields will have the better embroidery, but I think the BPs are actually all made in Vietnam or Cambodia or something (despite what the tag says). The more third-world the factory, the :censored:tier the product tends to be in New Era’s case. They’ve opened a factory recently in Haiti, because of :censored:ing course they did, and those caps are actually insulting they’re so bad. And it’s only going to get worse, too. 

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It’s proprietary.  It’s recognizable.  Which means it’s marketable.  Like Nike with its “Pro Combat” templates or whatever, sometimes manufacturers wanting everyone to know they’re the manufacturer is the whole point.  

New Era also had an issue sourcing the original DE material after awhile. The price went up and the sales numbers weren’t enough to justify the increase in price in their view. Last year was an attempt to go in a different direction in order to boost that and it ended up being such a flop that the decrease in overall sales numbers just couldn’t justify the decrease in material cost. The material they’re using now (Basically what they’ve been using on NFL caps for awhile now, but I believe the NFL had exclusivity rights for the first two or three years on that. I could be wrong about that though) is both cheaper to make and, IMO, is better quality overall. 

Of note to @Gothamite, the Brewers' spring training/batting practice cap now features the correct glove webbing.

ff_3280011-3285d304e58a7210a435_full.jpg

Just now, Sodboy13 said:

Of note to @Gothamite, the Brewers' spring training/batting practice cap now features the correct glove webbing.

ff_3280011-3285d304e58a7210a435_full.jpg

Don't think I didn't notice that.  :D 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Don't think I didn't notice that.  :D 

The files seem to have gotten a correction, at least from my last Miller Park trip.

hzthy3f.jpg

UkFoJui.jpg

12 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

New Era also had an issue sourcing the original DE material after awhile. The price went up and the sales numbers weren’t enough to justify the increase in price in their view. Last year was an attempt to go in a different direction in order to boost that and it ended up being such a flop that the decrease in overall sales numbers just couldn’t justify the decrease in material cost. The material they’re using now (Basically what they’ve been using on NFL caps for awhile now, but I believe the NFL had exclusivity rights for the first two or three years on that. I could be wrong about that though) is both cheaper to make and, IMO, is better quality overall. 

Sales is not the only variable in the equation. It's possible to sell less $ at the register but make more gross profit if the improved profit margin due to reduced material cost is significant enough. Either way it sounds like the product quality was so poor it was rejected outright as inferior by consumers.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The files seem to have gotten a correction, at least from my last Miller Park trip.

The files were corrected in 2016, IIRC.  But it’s taken a while for vendors to catch up and use the new ones - even New Era is still using the old one on the alternate navy caps.

ff_3292367_full.jpg&w=340

Progress, I suppose.  Last year they gave us two caps with the bad logo.  This year it might only be one. 

(And check out the New Era fashion caps in your pic above - they still have the bad logo.)

Sigh...this again...?  Please stop forcing this 1880s crap on us, that no living person ever saw on the field nor can relate to...

//fanatics.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productimages/_3280000/altimages/ff_3280023-60a19b70b43d0df9c87dalt1_full.jpg&w=600

If you want fans to hearken back to a long-forgotten era, just eliminate the black and take us back to this:

8-Cincinnati-Reds-1970-MLB-Team-Colors-The-All-Star-Fitted-With-Gray-Under-Bill-Custom-New-Era-59fifty-5950-Cap-1.jpg

Is it weird that I like the "reverse coloring" of that cap though with the red cap but the black front panel? Interesting look for the Reds... well, "as a BP cap" at least, wouldn't want it during the regular season of course.

11 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

Sigh...this again...?  Please stop forcing this 1880s crap on us, that no living person ever saw on the field nor can relate to...

//fanatics.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productimages/_3280000/altimages/ff_3280023-60a19b70b43d0df9c87dalt1_full.jpg&w=600

Please note that "saw" and "can relate to" are two very different things.  The traditional teams evidently have plenty of fans who are very into their teams' histories. This is something we should be applauding and encouraging, not scoffing at. 

When I was a kid, the serious baseball fans whom I knew had an unspoken principle that you're not entitled to dismiss something on the grounds that it was "before my time".  The accepted understanding was that being a baseball fan inherently meant knowing not just about the current moment but also about the history.  This feeling was extremely strong amongst Yankee fans, and was a bit less strong amongst Met fans (which is a polite way of saying that Met fans didn't know s--t). 

As far as the Reds' hats go, while the use of colour is pretty bad, that logo is gorgeous.  It is reminiscent of China's hats at the World Baseball Classic, at which they were the best-dressed team by a long way.

Image result for china world baseball classic    

12 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

If you want fans to hearken back to a long-forgotten era, just eliminate the black and take us back to this:

8-Cincinnati-Reds-1970-MLB-Team-Colors-The-All-Star-Fitted-With-Gray-Under-Bill-Custom-New-Era-59fifty-5950-Cap-1.jpg

This Reds fan loves it. I believe what they’re doing this year with the throwback uniforms is fantastic, along with the Old English C used the past couple of years in ST and even the script that hearkens back to former use in the 1930s. Plus, this year’s one off unis have made me have to debate which cap to purchase from the list. Leaning toward the 1902 or the 1911.