SportsLogos.Net News

2019 MLB Changes

6 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Please note that "saw" and "can relate to" are two very different things.  The traditional teams evidently have plenty of fans who are very into their teams' histories. This is something we should be applauding and encouraging, not scoffing at. 

When I was a kid, the serious baseball fans whom I knew had an unspoken principle that you're not entitled to dismiss something on the grounds that it was "before my time".  The accepted understanding was that being a baseball fan inherently meant knowing not just about the current moment but also about the history.  This feeling was extremely strong amongst Yankee fans, and was a bit less strong amongst Met fans (which is a polite way of saying that Met fans didn't know s--t). 

As far as the Reds' hats go, while the use of colour is pretty bad, that logo is gorgeous.  It is reminiscent of China's hats at the World Baseball Classic, at which they were the best-dressed team by a long way.

Image result for china world baseball classic    

5 hours ago, Artmanc3po said:

This Reds fan loves it. I believe what they’re doing this year with the throwback uniforms is fantastic, along with the Old English C used the past couple of years in ST and even the script that hearkens back to former use in the 1930s. Plus, this year’s one off unis have made me have to debate which cap to purchase from the list. Leaning toward the 1902 or the 1911.

If they want to use it as part of a throwback uniform, that's fine.  But the recent trend of the Reds seems to be an effort to incorporate it into the team's current set of logos, along with the script "Reds", which I am opposed to.  It's only serving to dilute the brand.  Unless it is a designated throwback game, fans should be able to come to a game (even a Spring Training game) and see their team in their familiar and easily-recognizable logos.  If I were in Arizona for ST, I certainly wouldn't feel that I was seeing the team that I've followed for  44 years on the field, and the experience would be cheapened by seeing them in these monstrosities.

Rays to bring this back this year 

dates they will be wearing these: 5/11 vs. NYY, 6/15 vs. LAA, 8/17 vs. DET, 9/21 vs. BOS

You can even buy them this march

Devil-Rays-Throwbacks-590x444.jpg

15 hours ago, Flames1fan said:

Rays to bring this back this year 

dates they will be wearing these: 5/11 vs. NYY, 6/15 vs. LAA, 8/17 vs. DET, 9/21 vs. BOS

You can even buy them this march

Devil-Rays-Throwbacks-590x444.jpg

I think these uniforms were pretty awesome for a 90's expansion team. The gradient was a new effect in MLB, but not hideously overdone. I think they went backwards and became less "fun" with each change they made.

I was always amazed, and still am, at how quickly the Rays abandoned that look. They only wore it for three seasons! Think about that for a moment. And it's not like they just tweaked it, they went with an entirely new look very quickly. And when you consider the time it takes to design a full uniform overhaul from start to finish you can probably assume they made the decision to dump it within their second season, more or less. I don't know the full reason why they did it but it feels like somebody up top must have really hated those uniforms.

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I was always amazed, and still am, at how quickly the Rays abandoned that look. They only wore it for three seasons! Think about that for a moment. And it's not like they just tweaked it, they went with an entirely new look very quickly. And when you consider the time it takes to design a full uniform overhaul from start to finish you can probably assume they made the decision to dump it within their second season, more or less. I don't know the full reason why they did it but it feels like somebody up top must have really hated those uniforms.

Calling the Naimoli period of the Rays’ history a comedy of errors would be far too charitable. I believe the gradient was his idea (selling a bunch of apparel in different colors), but he must have backed off upon seeing disappointing returns (driving people away with the quality of play may have had a role in that).

I’m just glad the NL didn’t let him run the Giants (while hurting the rest of the league, due to CBS’ lowering their TV deal if the move happened) into the ground like that.

31 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Calling the Naimoli period of the Rays’ history a comedy of errors would be far too charitable. I believe the gradient was his idea (selling a bunch of apparel in different colors), but he must have backed off upon seeing disappointing returns (driving people away with the quality of play may have had a role in that).

Looking back, you're onto something.  Back in those first few seasons you saw shirts and jerseys all of the place in lime green, purple, yellow, electric blue.  

Unpopular opinion: 1998-2000 is the best the Rays have ever looked. That's not saying much, though.

Nothing announced, but my safe assumption is the Orioles will have a patch honoring Frank Robinson, as they did for Earl Weaver in 2013.
600x600

Received a few hats today; Marlins ST hat is really nice. The blue is a great color, and the red is a bright red (with a touch of orange)...it's definitely not a true scarlet. Looks great in person. However, the hats were all jacked up, quality wise. Brims were stiff, assembled off-center (the worst is when you're wearing the hat lined up at true north, and the brim is pointing +/- 10 degrees). 

Also received an A's 2019 clubhouse hat (green with the front-facing elephant). Cool hat. Great logo. I like the two-toned rubber logo they used for this series...it creates a rather interesting 3-D effect.

As with all New Era hats...Shop Runner is an asset if you can find a promo for it. 

The Twins were planning to introduce hats featuring the logo from last year's Players Weekend caps, TC inside the outline of Minnesota. Evidently they chose not to follow through with those plans. The logo was supposed to appear on the BP/ST caps as well as the St Paddy's Day caps.

My .02 on the rays. 1) The devil gradient is like bucco Bruce. Bad teams and it’s really appreciated now as nostalgia, but you wouldn’t want it as your look. I could take that anniversary cap with their current jerseys, but if you’re gonna throwback, then wear the correct hat. 2) the green was their most unique look, but it was rather bland and would need major updating for a return. 3) although used a lot, their current set has the best colors. They could tie in the colors better by adding light blue outlines to the homes-roads and light blue numbers on the navy alternate...then there’s this whole ray of light vs stingray identity crisis that I’m not about to get into.

TL:DR gradient = bucco Bruce, green was better, blues were best, all sets have big upsides, but big flaws

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:30 PM, MattMill said:

I agree. These and the pirates 1999 era alternates will remain as some of my favorites

products-DSC_0363-600x600.jpg

* Photo is of made in China reproduction. 

There's a common theme that works. Grey and black base 90% of the way. Then some sort of bright third or fourth color coloring. 

I don't think a Navy blue or a red would work as that third color. 

The orange with san fran should work. But I don't think it does. So you never know

Those weren't the alts, at least originally. They wore them for all road games when they came out in 97, but I'm pretty sure they stopped wearing them altogether some time in 98. I'm not a Pirates fan, but got that hat as a kid. I still have it. Anyway, I really like gray (and white!) caps. They have a great old-school feel. I would like to see a team go with a white at home and gray on the road, but I don't think we will see it anytime soon. I think if teams use gray or white, it should be the fulltime hat for home/road and there must be a matching helmet.

I'm sure it's been explained before, but with the BiG logo, why isn't the white portion yellow to match the rest of the outline? I get why it wouldn't be transparent, but having that one white part of the logo always sticks out to me.

I know one thing, the Pirates having solid white homes and pinstriped grays always amused me.  The gray road caps just sold it.

I think the problem with a white or gray hat was that it was paired with a white or gray uniform and it became too much of one color. They might have stuck around longer with a college look of white hat, colored top, white pants or gray-color-gray. It wouldn’t be the better option vs color-white-white, color-gray-gray, or color-color-white or gray, but better than MLB color rush of gray or white.

23 hours ago, hormone said:

My .02 on the rays. 1) The devil gradient is like bucco Bruce. Bad teams and it’s really appreciated now as nostalgia, but you wouldn’t want it as your look.

I would definitely take Bucco Bruce as a full-time look if they were my team.  Those gradients, not so much. 

This is what I have done so far for the 2019 season. There are a couple of minor changes I need to make but this year I have had the ability to stay on top of the new uniforms. 

MW99Qvo.jpg

Yankees will apparently be wearing home uniforms for both games in London, which are Red Sox home games: