New Vancouver National Lacross League Team Named The Warriors

M4One

The Canucks recently bought the Vancouver Stealth and are moving them to Rogers Arena.  Today, they released their new name.  The logo seems more appropriate for a soccer/football team than it does a lacross team.  I like colours and that they aren't the same as the Canucks, allowing every team in the city their own colours.

gfeX-CQl_400x400.jpg

Not a fan, not a fan at all. It’s by far the worst of the six proposed names, the colours are generic and decidedly 'un-Vancouver', and the logo looks like it belongs on a bank or a cellphone app. 

Everything about this identity screams “bland”, which is disappointing given how ostentatious NLL clubs usually are.

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This is very good in that it suggests a V and a W at the same time.

I don't care for the bevelling and the shadows; I am staunch proponand of the idea that all logos should be in two dimensions.  But the shape is superb.

Agreed across the board... every time I go this harsh, the actual designer ends up being a member here, but I'm not one to learn from my mistakes... I'm just not down with this whole ornate trend in sports design, feels like a try-hard luxury Volkswagen concept.

NLL: Vancouver Stealth Renamed Warriors, Introduce Logo

September 21, 2018 - 20:52 PM

Vancouver’s professional lacrosse team has a new name and logo, the team’s new owners announced this afternoon. Known as the Stealth since their days in San Jose beginning in 2002 and continuing on with the name in Everett, Washington from 2009-2013, […]

Read More...

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This is very good in that it suggests a V and a W at the same time.

I don't care for the bevelling and the shadows; I am staunch proponent of the idea that all logos should be in two dimensions.  But the shape is superb.

Oh so that's why one of the cigarettes has the slanted cut. Now that you pointed it out I could see it. But before it looked odd. 

9 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Not a fan, not a fan at all. It’s by far the worst of the six proposed names, the colours are generic and decidedly 'un-Vancouver', and the logo looks like it belongs on a bank or a cellphone app. 

Everything about this identity screams “bland”, which is disappointing given how ostentatious NLL clubs usually are.

What were the six proposed team names?

35 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

What were the six proposed team names?

Blackfins

Rainmakers

Kodiaks

Totems

Eagles

and of course Warriors.

These other names aren’t great but at least they have a bit more character and distinctiveness than “Warriors”. NLL is also an extremely ‘out there’ league in terms of aesthetic, so with teams like ‘Mammoth’ and ‘Roughnecks’ it’s pretty disappointing to get ‘Warriors’. And of course the blandness of the name is reflected in the design as well.

Best picture I can find of the jerseys so far.  Why the half collar?!

Also, from their website, a breakdown of the logo.

Inspired by a long-standing history of lacrosse in the province, the Vancouver Warriors logo includes local elements in its design. At its core, three forged stripes, colored gold and bone-white, form the defining V and W monogram. These three lines are each inspired by the storied traits embodied by the region’s traditional indigenous Warriors: athleticism, protection and strength. Above the VW crest sits the North Star. This traditional beacon of hope defines a Warriors path, offering guidance and direction, the brightest star in its constellation lighting Vancouver’s night sky. Beyond its borders, rests the shield that symbolizes togetherness and community.

CSE_WARRIORS_030.jpg

9 minutes ago, M4One said:

Inspired by a long-standing history of lacrosse in the province, the Vancouver Warriors logo includes local elements in its design. At its core, three forged stripes, colored gold and bone-white, form the defining V and W monogram. These three lines are each inspired by the storied traits embodied by the region’s traditional indigenous Warriors: athleticism, protection and strength. Above the VW crest sits the North Star. This traditional beacon of hope defines a Warriors path, offering guidance and direction, the brightest star in its constellation lighting Vancouver’s night sky. Beyond its borders, rests the shield that symbolizes togetherness and community.

CSE_WARRIORS_030.jpg

That’s some design speak if I’ve ever heard it. Nothing says “traditional indigenous warrior” like a crest you’d see outside a hedge fund office.

So the Wings 2.0 unveil a color scheme of primarily black and gold (with gray and red) and the Vancouver Warriors decide to go with black and gold. There are so many great color schemes yet to be used and they use one that will be in use this season.

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

That’s some design speak if I’ve ever heard it. Nothing says “traditional indigenous warrior” like a crest you’d see outside a hedge fund office.

True... but at the same time, (Unless they worked directly with and indigenous group and/ or designer) I don't think there is a way to make a culturally inclusive logo that does not insult indigenous people. While the idea behind the name works for the area, the logo also works as a PC safe logo so to not insult anyone.

4 hours ago, tigers said:

I may be among the few who actually like it.

It's by far better than any of the current NLL logos, it's what more NLL teams should be aspiring too.

I also don't mind the logo

6 hours ago, M4One said:

CSE_WARRIORS_030.jpg

This just screams Vegas Golden Knights rip-off to me. 

Archived