College Football Conference Realignment - Michigan/Michigan State (10/18)

DoctaC

NCAA FBS Realignment Concept

Today I'm going to be beginning a series where I will be attempting to realign the FBS division of College Football into 11 new conferences of 12 teams each. I will be bringing up 4 FCS teams to make an even 132. Along with recreating the conferences, I will be creating concept uniforms for each school. Each will receive a home/road, and home/road alternates.

Conferences:

- Northeast (NEC)

- Great Lakes Football (GLFL)

- ?

- ?

- ?

- ?

- ?

- ?

- ?

- ?

- ?

Let's get things started with the first conference; the NEC (Northeast Conference).

B2ZiY4g.png

The conference will be divided into North and South Divisions as you can see above:

North: Army, Boston College, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rutgers, Syracuse

South: Maryland, Navy, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Temple, West Virginia

Headquarters: New York, New York

Conference Championship: The Meadowlands; East Rutherford, NJ

Protected Rivalries

Army v. Navy

Pittsburgh v. West Virginia

Penn State v. Maryland

I will be releasing teams in sets of 2, in alphabetical order. Here are first two:

Army

Home

z0qsm1m.png

Road

rUncLIk.png

Home Alternate

LVi7yCx.png

Road Alternate

cHO5brX.png

Boston College

Home

Ml04krF.png

Road

DaNTreN.png

Home Alternate

ODn56Wg.png

Road Alternate

WAGFvvb.png

Thanks for reading! C&C is appreciated!

Can I ask about the reasoning for this grouping? It feels rather random. Penn State and Pitt really don't feel like they should share a conference with Umass and Uconn. They play at different intensities, and don't seem like they'd be a good fit. Also separating Penn State from their rivalries in the B1G and WVU from the rest of the Big 12 seems strange. I could go on, but I won't.

tinysig.jpg

I agree with Jake, but it definitely does make sense from a geographical standpoint.  Also, I like the uniform concepts for both Army and BC (the black helmet is interesting in a good way) but I just have one nitpick.  With the Army uniforms, the starfield on the flag patch should always be closest to the front of the uniform, so (in the perspective of wearing the uniform) the right sleeve flag patch would be flipped.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

21 hours ago, Jake3.roo said:

Can I ask about the reasoning for this grouping? It feels rather random. Penn State and Pitt really don't feel like they should share a conference with Umass and Uconn. They play at different intensities, and don't seem like they'd be a good fit. Also separating Penn State from their rivalries in the B1G and WVU from the rest of the Big 12 seems strange. I could go on, but I won't.

It's based primarily on geography, but when I get to regions where there are more teams they will be split up by stature. Seperating West Virginia from the Big 12 is actually going to be one of the easier things I do, as when in the Big 12 WVU is at least 2 states (!) from any other team. They also had an intense rivalry that was (unfortunately) suspended with Pitt a few years ago. It was (and now would be) called the "Backyard Brawl." It actually is one of the oldest rivalries in College Football, starting in 1895. Pitt leads the all time series 61-40-3. As for Penn State, this was the most difficult teams to put in here. But, I did some research, and generally Ohio State is considered their biggest "rival" (although they'll always be at least second to the Buckeyes). The other 3 teams that are within a decent distance and are current power 5 teams are Maryland, Pitt, and Rutgers, who are all in the newly formed NEC.

20 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

With the Army uniforms, the starfield on the flag patch should always be closest to the front of the uniform, so (in the perspective of wearing the uniform) the right sleeve flag patch would be flipped.

Interesting, never knew that. I went back and changed it.

10 hours ago, appleclock said:

ThIs could be cool, in an “alternate universe” sort of perspective. Can’t wait to see how you divvy up the teams based on geography.

Thanks for the kind words!

10 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I also like putting the players names on the back since that's what West Point does on the practice jerseys.

I just realized I forgot they usually use "West Point," but I guess changing it up isn't such a bad thing.

Now it's time for next two NEC teams, and the first one from the NEC South:

Connecticut

Home

pL7Rc8H.png

Road

LCYcq5z.png

Home Alternate

wOlGOB2.png

Road Alternate

1Dy9u4C.png

Maryland

Home

NY5q1s5.png

Road

f2oaZDv.png

Home Alternate

EE33I9t.png

Road Alternate

Q0pCryl.png

? That's what I thought when I saw the teams in the NEC. Just call it the Penn State Conference. ?

Going with the uniform design, I'll be okay with that Army concept, except for the whites. Gold NOB and numbers are not readable from the pressbox or the upper bleachers of any stadium. Better have black NOB and numbers, where the numbers are trimmed in gold. For the whiteout uniform, better have the numbers trimmed in black.

I like your UConn concept, but I don't know why the overall striping is like that. Kinda needs a Nike-splanation, if you know what I mean... ?

For Maryland, I like that you toned down the flag pattern on the sleeves, although I'm a huge fan of the Terps' current full-colored flag pattern on the sleeves. I get that this is a concept, but the numbers on the white ops set is a no-no for NCAA. Gotta have either dark silver or black numbers.

If you need a better Paint template, you can refer to this reply on the Paint Users Paradise 2.0. I edited the original template that you're using and made manufacturer-specific templates out of it. You can try 'em on your next teams. Keep up the good work!

10 hours ago, CaptainKirkMN said:

As a WVU student, this alignment feels weird.  WVU and Penn St. belong with better teams.

I will say though, the University really does want to get its rivalry back with Pitt.

Like who?  Pitt?  Syracuse?  BC?

That's about as good as they can realistically hope for, and they're all represented here.

On 9/24/2018 at 12:26 AM, appleclock said:

That Maryland concept has just about the right amount of flagginess.  I’m thinking more black on the home jersey somehow but overall I dig it.

Thanks that was my main goal with their uniforms. For the home uniform I tried replacing the gold on the jersey with black but then I felt there was too little gold. 

On 9/24/2018 at 9:03 PM, H11K said:

Perfect picks if were talking strictly geography speaking, but congrats to Penn State as they will win that conference 9 out of every 10 years

Yeah, this is all based a lot on geography. Maybe 6/10 years. WVU would be competitive with them, and teams like Syracuse and BC are solid enough to pull off an upset or two.

On 9/24/2018 at 10:26 PM, edjb93 said:

? That's what I thought when I saw the teams in the NEC. Just call it the Penn State Conference. ?

Going with the uniform design, I'll be okay with that Army concept, except for the whites. Gold NOB and numbers are not readable from the pressbox or the upper bleachers of any stadium. Better have black NOB and numbers, where the numbers are trimmed in gold. For the whiteout uniform, better have the numbers trimmed in black.

I like your UConn concept, but I don't know why the overall striping is like that. Kinda needs a Nike-splanation, if you know what I mean... ?

For Maryland, I like that you toned down the flag pattern on the sleeves, although I'm a huge fan of the Terps' current full-colored flag pattern on the sleeves. I get that this is a concept, but the numbers on the white ops set is a no-no for NCAA. Gotta have either dark silver or black numbers.

If you need a better Paint template, you can refer to this reply on the Paint Users Paradise 2.0. I edited the original template that you're using and made manufacturer-specific templates out of it. You can try 'em on your next teams. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for those templates! For my next post I'm going to start using them.

Now it's time for the next two teams from the NEC:

UMass

Home

Oa7gsPe.png

Road

laKxVxF.png

Home Alternate

ogr2PQm.png

Road Alternate

NGYA7bh.png

Navy

Home

4GZI61g.png

Road

gvkqUbJ.png

Home Alternate

aa7TAPo.png

Road Alternate

1V0aaNB.png

I really like this realignment project (although I'd probably change the name. There's already a NEC).

And I really don't agree with some of the posters here with the whole "certain teams belong with others because they're better" argument. For one, this isn't real plus it's your realignment post. And secondly, a lot of the current real alignments don't make any sense (why is Maryland or Rutgers in the B10, why is West Virginia in the Big XII?) and are done only in the name of profit.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

With the exception of Maryland, UConn and UMass this conference almost happened in the early 80's, the biggest reason for it not happening was that Penn State, Syracuse and Boston College couldn't work out how to split the conference revenues. Penn State wanted to keep most of it's football money but split basketball evenly while Syracuse and BC wanted it the other way around, Pitt somehow gets blamed for killing it off by taking the Big East offer for basketball but that really didn't happen until the money split issue reached an impasse where neither side was going to budge.

Rival wise this conference should breakdown like this.

Army vs. Navy - no brainer with this one.

Pitt vs. Penn State - was one of the fiercest rivalries in college football until Penn State left for the Big Ten, it's still pretty strong even though the current series isn't going to be renewed after next seasons game.

WVU vs. Maryland - they've been playing each other off and on since 1919 and had an uninterrupted run from 1980 to 2015 and will play again in 2020 & 2021.

Temple vs. Rutgers - Mainly due to the locations and neither really has a rival.

Syracuse and Boston College - started playing each other in 1924 then played yearly from 1971 to 2004, took a break when BC went to the ACC but started up again as a non-conference game in 2010 then a yearly game when Cuse joined the ACC.

UConn vs. UMass - like Temple vs. Rutgers due to their locations and lacking any rivals.

55 minutes ago, ltp74 said:

With the exception of Maryland, UConn and UMass this conference almost happened in the early 80's, the biggest reason for it not happening was that Penn State, Syracuse and Boston College couldn't work out how to split the conference revenues. Penn State wanted to keep most of it's football money but split basketball evenly while Syracuse and BC wanted it the other way around, Pitt somehow gets blamed for killing it off by taking the Big East offer for basketball but that really didn't happen until the money split issue reached an impasse where neither side was going to budge.

Pitt vs. Penn State - was one of the fiercest rivalries in college football until Penn State left for the Big Ten, it's still pretty strong even though the current series isn't going to be renewed after next seasons game.

WVU vs. Maryland - they've been playing each other off and on since 1919 and had an uninterrupted run from 1980 to 2015 and will play again in 2020 & 2021.

Temple vs. Rutgers - Mainly due to the locations and neither really has a rival.

Syracuse and Boston College - started playing each other in 1924 then played yearly from 1971 to 2004, took a break when BC went to the ACC but started up again as a non-conference game in 2010 then a yearly game when Cuse joined the ACC.

UConn vs. UMass - like Temple vs. Rutgers due to their locations and lacking any rivals.

It would be a crime to have WVU and Pitt in the same conference and not bring back the Backyard Brawl.

xglLy43.png38ekInb.png3T2CQrI.png

2 hours ago, ltp74 said:

Except they are actually old football rivals going back to the Yankee Conference.  They've met over 70 times and played every year from 1952-1999.

On 9/30/2018 at 10:45 PM, jus2damcrazey219 said:

I really like this realignment project (although I'd probably change the name. There's already a NEC).

And I really don't agree with some of the posters here with the whole "certain teams belong with others because they're better" argument. For one, this isn't real plus it's your realignment post. And secondly, a lot of the current real alignments don't make any sense (why is Maryland or Rutgers in the B10, why is West Virginia in the Big XII?) and are done only in the name of profit.

Yeah, and also being in a conference with better teams is better for TV Exposure, the Playoff (in the current system), Revenue, etc. and therefore recruiting, so a team like a Temple or UMass could become much improved if put in a better conference. I also agree on WVU in the Big 12 today, that was a big thing I wanted to fix. Maryland and Rutgers as well.

12 hours ago, ltp74 said:

Interesting, I never knew that. As for the rivals; like @CaptainKirkMN said, if Pitt and WVU were in the same conference, they would need to bring back the Backyard Brawl. Also, the rivalries I put in the original post weren't supposed to be the only rivalries in the conference; just the "protected" ones. That means they would be played every year no matter what. Other rivalry games such as Pitt v. Penn State would be first priority in scheduling, but not required.

Now it's time for a couple Pennsylvanian teams from the NEC:

Penn State

Home

zyDfsAa.png

Road

wMXppsj.png

Home Alternate

cYpup6O.png

Road Alternate

6tftcgp.png

Pittsburgh

Home

5zrtqkX.png

Road

A7DsYJC.png

Home Alternate

qsJmhht.png

Road Alternate

P1jlHjg.png

I really am not a fan of the ClipArt Paw logo. I really think it looks off with regards to Penn State. Could we see a black and pink Penn State concept? As a throwback to their old looks.

Also, could you recolor the NEC logo to be team specific? It doesn’t look good on the non-blue teams

That's what- She

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 12:55 AM, Davidellias said:

Very nicely done, I like Penn State especially since it's hard one to do with the uniform being such a huge tradition there.

Is this photo shop or Paint BTW?

Thanks, I didn't want to change much with Penn State. And I'm using Paint.

Now here are the next two teams. I used a new template, let me know what you think!

Rutgers Scarlet Knights

oIDctS0.png

7YRJrlJ.png

Syracuse Orange

x8oJpJs.png

zakXdeY.png

Archived