Alaska State Lights

n312rb

These. Are. GORGEOUS! I love all of them. Every iteration (even the first one), and if this was a real team, I'd follow them just for these beauties! My personal favorite is the gradient helmet, but all of them are great. I wonder, on the Alaska helmet, maybe put Polaris front and center, and have the Big Dipper on the sides to cover?

the user formerly known as cdclt

18 hours ago, slapshot said:

Technically, this is illegal per NCAA, and most levels. You'd never be able to read the numbers from the press box, and maybe not even on field either. The rule is numbers must clearly contrast with the jersey, and must be legible without an outline. Take away the outline, you can't read the numbers at all.

yFcuE9W.png

7CAjavE.png

23 hours ago, n312rb said:

yFcuE9W.png

Much better. These would meet NCAA standards. Aesthetically, I'm not really a fan of the gradient numbers, but they are definitely legible.

As for the names on the back, they are still a bit small, and much lower than they should be. Based on this template, the names would either go above the horizontal seam on the back, or in a nameplate that is centered on top of that seam. They generally wouldn't be arched either...football jersey names are horizontal.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

On 9/28/2018 at 9:45 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

These. Are. GORGEOUS! I love all of them. Every iteration (even the first one), and if this was a real team, I'd follow them just for these beauties! My personal favorite is the gradient helmet, but all of them are great. I wonder, on the Alaska helmet, maybe put Polaris front and center, and have the Big Dipper on the sides to cover?

Agreed. This concept is waaaaay out there but in a very good way!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 7:20 PM, pianoknight said:

Most college conferences are still largely geographic (looking at you, West Virginia).  The real trick is to have a back story to explain how/why/when a school in Alaska joined the B1G.

From a geographic perspective, it makes more sense to place an Alaskan school in the PAC or Mountain West.  And if they are a "start up" college, you'd probably put them into the MTW as the Pac-12 prefers major public research institutions with a strong athletic caliber across multiple sports.  So with this example, it's a bit more of a stretch than say, the SEC stealing Virginia Tech.  You've got a bit more ground (literally and figuratively) to cover.

A plausible back story will absolutely SELL the idea to your audience.

So here's an example.

15 years ago, Alaska State was part of FCS-Big Sky, but decided to move up to FBS to have better control of their schedule as an independent.  Over the first ten years of their FBS existence, they gained a reputation as a giant-slayer, filling their schedule with any "big boy" Power 5 school they could get.  With some signature wins over schools like Ohio State, Texas, Colorado and Virginia Tech, the Lights saw an opportunity to try for Pac-12 membership as the conference wanted to expand to 14 teams to match the B1G, ACC and SEC.  Ultimately, though, the Pac-14 snatched up BYU and Boise State, leaving the Mountain West as the only geographic option for Alaska State.

They migrated to the Mountain West for 3 seasons before TV money went supernova and the B1G/SEC expanded yet again, this time to 20 teams.  The Big Ten drove westward, in an attempt to cover the Northern US from Rutgers & Maryland all the way to the Pacific Northwest.  The SEC expanded similarly, growing to cover the Southern half of the nation.  This move ultimately collapsed the Pac-14, giving Alaska State a small moral victory for the previous snub.

The Big Ten ultimately stole Washington, Oregon and Colorado from the Pac-14, plus added Alaska State and Hawaii to get to fifteen.  Kansas was eager to leave the Big 12 after the SEC made a play for Oklahoma and Texas.  Following the Sooner-Horn-Jayhawk exit, the Big XII largely folded and the SEC scooped up Arizona, Arizona State, USC and UCLA from the Pac-14.  The remaining Pac/XII teams have all gone independent and are exploring options to beef up the MTW, re-invent the WAC or pray that the ACC can somehow reach over miles and miles of B1G/SEC land and create a two-coast conference.

Also, Notre Dame is still independent and nobody cares.

The new Big Ten consists of ten teams in each division:

West: Alaska State, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin

East: Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers

The new SEC consists of ten teams in each division:

West: USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri, LSU and Arkansas

East: Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

@MBurmy

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

All... I appreciate the feedback and comments.

I have decided to take this one step further and make concepts for several sports, those will be forthcoming.  In that vein, it was necessary to set some parameters.  The college will be in the Mountain West and the supplier will be Under Armour.  

I used my jersey from my UA Kit series to start off, had to change a few things to fit it, but the more I work with this, the more refined it becomes.

xqwq2Vt.png

7CAjavE.png

Archived