Train Themed Team Names

Bmac

While doing research lately for a somewhat unrelated project, I noticed there aren't many train-related team names in sports. This surprises me because the train industry is such a large part of US history and was very relevant at the time many sports teams were formed.

The name "Trains" hasn't been used and seems like an odd name for some reason. Yet there don't seem to be common alternate options.

Off the top of my head:

Las Vegas Locos (Locomotives) - UFL

Purdue Boilermakers - NCAA

Round Rock Express - MiLB

Denver/New Orleans Zephyrs - MiLB (branding ignored the train-inspired name)

Bloomington Thunder - USHL (branding was train-themed despite the name not necessarily being train-related)

Omaha Golden Spikes - MiLB

Hartford Yard Goats - MiLB

We supposedly almost had the Houston Railmen at one point.

Others?

All of the names listed seem fairly unique. Why isn't there more common train-themed branding?

The UT-Chattanooga "Mocs" nickname is short for Mockingbirds, but they use train imagery in their branding. They used to use (shock!) Native American imagery, but then they (more shock!) got away from it as schools are prone to do these days. 

48ae1e0265fdcea43f621c0582933bfe--dorm-l

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

While doing research lately for a somewhat unrelated project, I noticed there aren't many train-related team names in sports. This surprises me because the train industry is such a large part of US history and was very relevant at the time many sports teams were formed.

The name "Trains" hasn't been used and seems like an odd name for some reason. Yet there don't seem to be common alternate options.

Off the top of my head:

Las Vegas Locos (Locomotives) - UFL

Purdue Boilermakers - NCAA

Round Rock Express - MiLB

Denver/New Orleans Zephyrs - MiLB (branding ignored the train-inspired name)

Bloomington Thunder - USHL (branding was train-themed despite the name not necessarily being train-related)

Omaha Golden Spikes - MiLB

Hartford Yard Goats - MiLB

We supposedly almost had the Houston Railmen at one point.

Others?

All of the names listed seem fairly unique. Why isn't there more common train-themed branding?

Altoona Curve

Gary Rail Cats

Fullerton Flyers

SWB Railriders

Syracuse Chiefs

Spokane Empire

Lehigh Engineers (complete with a train logo in the 80s).

pXC45rAwHsRBnY32qgq0CuMb4To7Xa-6z0Jw-v-b

Lehigh Valley Black Diamonds (Atlantic League baseball) -- never actually took the field if memory serves me).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

FC Lokomotiv Moscow.png

FC Lokomotiv Moscow

Related image

Montpelier (OH) Locomotives

Bloo Thunder.png

Bloomington Thunder (SPHL) (2011-2014)

fullerton_flyers.gif

Fullerton Flyers

macon_trax.gif

Macon Trax (SPHL) (2002-2005)

bethesda_bigtrain.gif

Bethesda Big Train (CRCBL)

Reading Express logo

Reading Express (AIFL/IFL) (2006-2012)

coquitlam_express.gifCoquitlam Express Junior Hockey Club logo.png

Coquitlam Express (BCHL)

Team logo

Jacksonville Express (WFL)

evansville_express.gif

Evansville Express (NWFA)

southern_minnesota_express.gif

Southern Minnesota Express

owatonna_express.gif

Owatonna Express

jersey_express.gif

Jersey Express (ABA)

jersey_express_soccer.gif

Jersey Express (PDL/USL League 2)

eauclaire_express.gif

Eau Claire Express

I have to EXPRESS that there seems to certainly be some common naming theme with some teams

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I've always liked the idea and usages of train team names. I think it offers a lot of options for really good branding and in-arena/stadium theming.

Or you can be named the Astros and still use in-stadium train branding. ?

7 hours ago, pianoknight said:

The UT-Chattanooga "Mocs" nickname is short for Mockingbirds, but they use train imagery in their branding. They used to use (shock!) Native American imagery, but then they (more shock!) got away from it as schools are prone to do these days. 

48ae1e0265fdcea43f621c0582933bfe--dorm-l

Chattanooga Choo-Choo

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

20 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Lehigh Valley Black Diamonds (Atlantic League baseball) -- never actually took the field if memory serves me).

Yes, I quoted myself . . . to post a logo and to correct my earlier post.  The Black Diamonds played at least one season as an all-road team.  They just never took the field in Easton, PA as planned.

LehighValleyBlackDiamonds.gif

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived