The Whalers Return! Hurricanes Announce Epic Throwback Uniforms

SportsLogos.Net News

The Whalers Return! Hurricanes Announce Epic Throwback Uniforms

September 27, 2018 - 18:18 PM

Ladies and gentlemen… the Whale has returned to the NHL. This afternoon the Carolina Hurricanes, who previously played as the Hartford Whalers from 1979 through 1997, announced they would wear a Whalers road green throwback uniform for *two* games in […]

Read More...

This is wonderful!  I love to see anything that reinforces the acknowedgement of franchise lineages.

This approach used to be the standard one.  But a lamentable recent trend towards a lack of respect for the facts of history has rendered this approach exceptional.  So congratulations to the Hurricanes for bucking that trend and doing the right thing. 

(Of course, the Hurricanes are doing this primarily in order to sell jerseys.  Good for them; I hope they sell a million of them.  The only important thing is that the kiddies learn the actual history.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The Canes are going to make so much bank from this, but the fans in North Carolina (yes, they exist) are pretty upset with this believe it or not.

They've always wanted their identity to stand apart from Hartford--there's a reason Brass Bonanza didn't win the goal song vote this year.

(Personally, I find nothing wrong with this, I'm a throwback fiend.)

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

2 minutes ago, Gary. said:

When can we expect the Cleveland Barons throwback for the Sharks?

Give me the Oakland Seals in game action, or the UCLA-striped Golden Seals. The Barons throwbacks can be for their outdoor game in Columbus that will happen when I huff a canister of rubber cement.

Anyway, this doesn't have Pucky, so piss on it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Not that many relocated teams have done throwbacks to their previous cities. This isn't a thorough list, just from memory ...

MLB

Los Angeles Dodgers > Brooklyn

Oakland A's > Kansas City & Philadelphia

Atlanta Braves > Milwaukee & Boston

Texas Rangers > Washington

Minnesota Twins > Washington

Baltimore Orioles  > St. Louis

NFL

Kansas City Chiefs > Dallas

Tennessee Titans > Houston

Indianapolis Colts > Baltimore

Arizona Cardinals > Chicago

NBA

LA Clippers > Buffalo

LA Lakers > Minneapolis

Washington > Chicago/Baltimore

Philadelphia > Syracuse

Detroit > Ft. Wayne

Brooklyn > New Jersey/New York (kind of a stretch)

Sacramento > Rochester/Cincinnati

NHL

Carolina > Hartford

Are there any others?

This seems like a fun topic for a new thread ...

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

It's a beautiful jersey.  

I don't know whether or not they should be doing this.  Nor do I care.  I just love seeing this.  

On one hand, it's kinda surprising that they'd do this given the recent trend of ignoring pre-relocation franchise history (and the more egregious trend of whiting that history out).  Then again, it's not surprising because of Cha-ching!

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

The only thing that would make this better is pucky...

I suppose this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't really like Pucky.  Too silly/campy.

But the logo is brilliant.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

34 minutes ago, kimball said:

Not that many relocated teams have done throwbacks to their previous cities. This isn't a thorough list, just from memory ...

MLB

Los Angeles Dodgers > Brooklyn

Oakland A's > Kansas City & Philadelphia

Atlanta Braves > Milwaukee & Boston

Texas Rangers > Washington

Minnesota Twins > Washington

Baltimore Orioles  > St. Louis

NFL

Kansas City Chiefs > Dallas

Tennessee Titans > Houston

Indianapolis Colts > Baltimore

Arizona Cardinals > Chicago

NBA

LA Clippers > Buffalo

LA Lakers > Minneapolis

Washington > Chicago/Baltimore

Philadelphia > Syracuse

Detroit > Ft. Wayne

Brooklyn > New Jersey/New York (kind of a stretch)

Sacramento > Rochester/Cincinnati

NHL

Carolina > Hartford

Are there any others?

This seems like a fun topic for a new thread ...

There was also the Brewers throwing back to the Seattle Pilots.

Image result for brewers throwback pilots

The only time the Brooklyn Nets did a throwback to their former location was in preseason, when they wore New York Nets uniforms at the Nassau Coliseum.  The New Jersey Nets played regular-season games in New York Nets throwbacks.

I don't think the Indianapolis Colts ever wore a throwback uniform.  They never changed the uniform after the move; so there'd be nothing to throw back to.

When did the Arizona Cardinals wear Chicago Cardinals uniforms?

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This is wonderful!  I love to see anything that reinforces the acknowedgement of franchise lineages.

This approach used to be the standard one.  But a lamentable recent trend towards a lack of respect for the facts of history has rendered this approach exceptional.  So congratulations to the Hurricanes for bucking that trend and doing the right thing. 

(Of course, the Hurricanes are doing this primarily in order to sell jerseys.  Good for them; I hope they sell a million of them.  The only important thing is that the kiddies learn the actual history.)

The record books are untouched, which is good. The kids can learn the lineage from that and not the team themselves.

However, I'm conflicted. It's rubbing the relocation in Hartford fans' faces, while also ignoring that the team has done far more as the Hurricanes than they ever did as the Whalers.

maxresdefault.jpg

There's a difference between acknowledging your past and celebrating your past. Acknowledging it is all we should care about, as some of it is not worthy of celebration. The Whalers' miserable existence (look it up) and the circumstances surrounding their relocation aren't exactly something to celebrate with a throwback. Likewise, the Hurricanes have some history to celebrate. Bringing back the Cup-winning sweater as a throwback (instead of the semi-modernization they wear now) would be a good example of this. Resurrecting the Whalers is just a trashy cash-in to play on a wave of nostalgia that pours salt on healing wounds.

As long as the record books are intact, teams should chose what parts of their history to celebrate. The Giants and Braves homage their past locations extensively, while the Orioles and Twins only pay minor tribute to their old homes. If the "kiddos" (problematic rhetoric there) want to learn, they can do the research without the teams force-feeding it to them.

17 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

There was also the Brewers throwing back to the Seattle Pilots.

Image result for brewers throwback pilots

The only time the Brooklyn Nets did a throwback to their former location was in preseason, when they wore New York Nets uniforms at the Nassau Coliseum.  The New Jersey Nets played regular-season games in New York Nets throwbacks.

I don't think the Indianapolis Colts ever wore a throwback uniform.  They never changed the uniform after the move; so there'd be nothing to throw back to.

When did the Arizona Cardinals wear Chicago Cardinals uniforms?

I could swear that the Washington Redskins throwback with the leather helmet decals was meant to be a throwback to when they were in Boston

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Colts did a throwback almost 10 years ago now. The uniform with the blue helmets.

Image result for indianapolis colts throwback uniforms

T1oYViW.png

1 minute ago, kmccarthy27 said:

I could swear that the Washington Redskins throwback with the leather helmet decals was meant to be a throwback to when they were in Boston

It was the uniform they wore in 1937, their first year in Washington

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2012/10/30/redskins-to-wear-80th-anniversary-throwback-uniforms-sunday/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.396741d07a04

90758391980.gif

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The record books are untouched, which is good. The kids can learn the lineage from that and not the team themselves.

However, I'm conflicted. It's rubbing the relocation in Hartford fans' faces, while also ignoring that the team has done far more as the Hurricanes than they ever did as the Whalers.

maxresdefault.jpg

There's a difference between acknowledging your past and celebrating your past. Acknowledging it is all we should care about, as some of it is not worthy of celebration. The Whalers' miserable existence (look it up) and the circumstances surrounding their relocation aren't exactly something to celebrate with a throwback. Likewise, the Hurricanes have some history to celebrate. Bringing back the Cup-winning sweater as a throwback (instead of the semi-modernization they wear now) would be a good example of this. Resurrecting the Whalers is just a trashy cash-in to play on a wave of nostalgia that pours salt on healing wounds.

As long as the record books are intact, teams should chose what parts of their history to celebrate. The Giants and Braves homage their past locations extensively, while the Orioles and Twins only pay minor tribute to their old homes. If the "kiddos" (problematic rhetoric there) want to learn, they can do the research without the teams force-feeding it to them.

It's sorta like how the Avalanche honour the Hockey Rockies despite them not being the same franchise and the latter having nothing worth remembering, except a clever logo and generally-nice identity. (In fact, as I typed that I realised it's a lot like that!)

Really the main differences between the two are that the Whalers actually have fans, whereas the Rockies (and to a certain, exaggerated but sad extent, the Hurricanes) really don't; also that despite the Rockies' general irrelevance Denver got a new team again anyways.

Archived