Isles Officially Unveil New Third Jersey

Isles Officially Unveil New Third Jersey

October 1, 2018 - 15:21 PM

The New York Islanders this morning officially unveiled their new alternate third jersey for the upcoming 2018-19 NHL season. The uniform matches a leak that got out there early last month. Borrowing a similar look to what the club wore […]

Read More...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if there's a "This Should Be Their Main Jersey" bandwagon yet, but I'd be on board. I love the simplicity of the design. But, I can't shake the feeling that SOMETHING is missing to make it better.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I like the sleeve stripes.  But the shoulder yoke looks pretty bad.  This should be a solid blue sweater; that would have made the sleeve stripes stand out more.  And the stripes at the bottom should be above the hem, with some blue below it. 

The logo is just fine without the truncated island.  But the four stripes for their four championships should be on the shaft, not on the blade.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

44 minutes ago, kimball said:

I'm not sure if there's a "This Should Be Their Main Jersey" bandwagon yet, but I'd be on board. I love the simplicity of the design. But, I can't shake the feeling that SOMETHING is missing to make it better.

I know what you mean.

I like the simplicity, certainly, but I can't stop seeing this 50s-era catalog football jersey.

814aac1642a7088bf4c535c8ab23f759.jpg

I can't believe I'm saying this because I like simple and classic unis but this almost looks TOO simple. I like the simple logo (always have) and there is no black(which is great). I would have just been happier with an orange version of their regulars. I'll still give it a thumbs up but that's not saying much. The jerseys are like this post....boring.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But the shoulder yolk looks pretty bad.

Yoke.

I like it. It's miles ahead of either of the black alternates, but that isn't really a difficult achievement. The NY logo is a solid look for them.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I've always felt like the Islanders have never had an identity, at least not one that was at all inspired or tangible.  It feels a lot like the Houston Texans, in that it's not a BAD name or identity or whatever, but it's all empty-feeling. 

Thirds like this and the all-black a while back simply echo my thoughts on this odd franchise.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 10/1/2018 at 1:55 PM, SCL said:

I think they should explore moving the new NY to primary status. There's something so clean and effective.

Highly unlikely.  The non-use of the truncated island silhouette is not popular with the team's fans.

On 10/1/2018 at 3:25 PM, CS85 said:

I've always felt like the Islanders have never had an identity, at least not one that was at all inspired or tangible.  It feels a lot like the Houston Texans, in that it's not a BAD name or identity or whatever, but it's all empty-feeling. 

Thirds like this and the all-black a while back simply echo my thoughts on this odd franchise.

The Islanders may be poorly managed of late, and so have some of the league's worst attendance and most fatalistic fans.  But the brand identity is strong.  To a New Yorker (that is, someone from the City), it seems goofy.  But to a Long Islander, it is uniquely theirs.

But this gets to what truly is odd about the team: they are the only team in the major sports leagues for whom "New York" signifies the State and not the City.  (World Team Tennis once had a team in Schenectady called the New York Buzz.)  The other teams that have played on Long Island and have used the name "New York" (the Nets; the Cosmos; the AFL's Dragons; the MISL's Arrows; the MLL's Lizards) were referring to the big city that they were just outside of.  These were merely further examples of the not-uncommon phenomenon of teams being located beyond their city's limits.   By contrast, the Islanders absolutely do not identify with New York City; so profound is their non-identification that their Long Island map is truncated so as to remove the parts of the City that are on geographical Long Island.  They haven't even modified the logo while they are playing home games in that part of the City! 

A much more sensible name for the team would have been the Long Island (whatevers).  But the value of the team was surely greater just on account of its being called "New York" (regardless of whether that refers to the State or the City).  This is the same reason that the MLL's erstwhile Long Island Lizards became the New York Lizards, while still playing on Long Island.

Anyway, when listing the teams whose locality name is a state, such as the Minnesota and Arizona teams, always remember to include the Islanders.

12 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

By contrast, the Islanders absolutely do not identify with New York City; so profound is their non-identification that their Long Island map is truncated so as to remove the parts of the City that are on geographical Long Island.  They haven't even modified the logo while they are playing home games in that part of the City! 

They've tried to identify with Brooklyn though.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

22 minutes ago, WSU151 said:
36 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

By contrast, the Islanders absolutely do not identify with New York City; so profound is their non-identification that their Long Island map is truncated so as to remove the parts of the City that are on geographical Long Island.  They haven't even modified the logo while they are playing home games in that part of the City! 

They've tried to identify with Brooklyn though.

I would say that it is remarkable the degree to which they haven't done so.  Their one black Nets-like jersey got such vitriolic hatred from their fans.  And, most important, they resisted including Brooklyn and Queens in their logo.  

Back in 2012, @Gothamite shared to this board a simple revision to the Islanders' logo that would have included the entirety of geograhical Long Island:

BrooklynIslanders.jpg

I believe the creator was @Discogod.

This logo had the benefit of having the letter I point to just about the exact spot where the arena is.  And the letter S fits snugly in Jamaica Bay.

But no.  They kept a logo that excised Brooklyn and Queens, thereby emphasising that they want nothing to do with New York City.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

they are the only team in the major sports leagues for whom "New York" signifies the State and not the City.

Source?

They play in the Metro NYC area, I would think they're named for the city not the state.

Has anyone on the boards ever associated the Islanders with the state of New York?  I've never put those two together.

Its a nice update to the stadium series jersey. Got rid of some of the oddities with that jersey. 

At the same time, its kind of an odd choice as a third. It’s based off a jersey that was already used as a third but the original had the aformentioned ‘oddities’ that made it different enough from the regular set. 

The white yoke isn’t great but without it the jersey would look to similar to the home jersey. 

I think they should have made this thing orange. The template is a simple enough to make it work and you could get rid of the white yoke. 

Archived