Isles Officially Unveil New Third Jersey

Actually, In the book "Pride and Passion of the Islanders" it says they wanted green and black for their colors first but changed their minds and went with Nassau County's colors. Imagine what that would have looked like.?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least these thirds aren't black.  I'd have preferred an orange alternate but these are ok.  Maybe even the best the Isles have ever had, which isn't saying a lot.  I also think if Lou could have, he would have killed the alternate.

On 10/11/2018 at 3:52 AM, Cosmic said:

I googled that before I posted, but all the Nassau County insignia I found seemed to include a strongish yellow element in addition to the blue and orange. From what I’ve seen, omitting yellow in a Nassau County tribute would kind of defeat the purpose, but maybe it was different in the 70s.

As Ryan pointed out Nassau County's colors are blue and orange.  While there is yellow in the seal on the flag it's not used for practical purposes anywhere else.  The county police cars currently have blue and orange stripes (they were at one time orange over blue), when I was growing up the DPW vehicles were orange over blue (the front loader in the video taking out the Coliseum ice for the "final time" back in 2015 as an example), printing on county departmental letterhead was also mostly blue and orange.  You get the picture.  Hempstead Town's colors, however, are blue and yellow.

An interesting side point is if you ever noticed the similarities between the Nassau County lion and the Dutch national team's is that the county is named for William of Nassau of the House of Nassau who's colors were blue and orange.  Only noticed that for the first time when I visited Amsterdam about a decade ago.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:43 AM, insert name said:

The Islanders represent Long Island and Long Island only. When they won their 4 Stanley Cups, the parades were held in out in Hempstead, not Lower Manhattan. 

I get the point you're making but the parades were in Uniondale.  The Hempstead Village line is a block or two west of Hofstra University.

14 hours ago, tp49 said:

At least these thirds aren't black.  I'd have preferred an orange alternate but these are ok.  Maybe even the best the Isles have ever had, which isn't saying a lot.  I also think if Lou could have, he would have killed the alternate.

As Ryan pointed out Nassau County's colors are blue and orange.  While there is yellow in the seal on the flag it's not used for practical purposes anywhere else.  The county police cars currently have blue and orange stripes (they were at one time orange over blue), when I was growing up the DPW vehicles were orange over blue (the front loader in the video taking out the Coliseum ice for the "final time" back in 2015 as an example), printing on county departmental letterhead was also mostly blue and orange.  You get the picture.  Hempstead Town's colors, however, are blue and yellow.

An interesting side point is if you ever noticed the similarities between the Nassau County lion and the Dutch national team's is that the county is named for William of Nassau of the House of Nassau who's colors were blue and orange.  Only noticed that for the first time when I visited Amsterdam about a decade ago.

I get the point you're making but the parades were in Uniondale.  The Hempstead Village line is a block or two west of Hofstra University.

I appreciate the local knowledge, but it has to be a chicken-and-egg thing... it can’t just be a coincidence that Nassau County also uses the same colors as the megalopolis world city a few miles away, right?

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I appreciate the local knowledge, but it has to be a chicken-and-egg thing... it can’t just be a coincidence that Nassau County also uses the same colors as the megalopolis world city a few miles away, right?

I'm sure there's no coincidence as without going into the history lesson, the eastern part of Queens which broke off when Queens became a borough of NYC is what became Nassau County.  There was also the heavy Dutch influence in the area so I think it all tended to play together.  

That said, if I remember it right, the Islanders were supposed to take the Long Island Ducks name and colors but without the two John's (Brophy and Muckler.)  That didn't happen though.

Archived