2018 MLB Postseason: The Hunt for <insert team color here> October

Crabcake

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said before, it’s incredible that I got to take my son to his first game the same year they won the World Series! I think that’s an amazing memory.

great job by the Dodgers (except Machado. What a scumbag). I saw some incredible talent on their team. Walker Buehler was insane to watch him shut down the Boston bats. Hell of a Series overall.

exctied to celebrate in the city the next few days. Yeah Sox!

I'm unhappy that the Red Sox won.

I'm happy that the Doyers lost.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I wish it was march again so I could relive this season. That was beautiful, like a painting, and I have a hard time seeing another Sox WS win that perfect. THE most likable BoSox team, well, ever and couldn't be happier for them and all the other spoiled Boston fans out there. 

I'm not gonna lie, I hated 80% of that Dodgers team and loved the gentleman's sweep, but the Red Sox dwarfed the fact that that's a great team that was by no means an easy out. Also loved that Manny Machismo was the last, ugly out but I digress. Congrats Dodgers on an excellent year. You were worthy.

Also to answer the Admiral's question, because most Patriots fans are A-Holes. It's not so complicated.

And also STEVE PEARCE. G'night.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

4 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

The 2018 Red Sox are the 1991 Washington Redskins- damn near EVERYTHING came together, right place, right time.

-- The Red Sox won the AL East the past three seasons.

-- They lost in the playoffs the two previous times to the AL Champs, both of whom were in it until literally the end of game 7 of the world series.

-- They found their two major weaknesses, starting pitching and power hitting, and they plugged those holes up with one of the best pitchers in baseball, and one of the best hitters in baseball. 

-- This team had 5 starters who were top prospects (Betts, Bogaerts, Benintendi, Bradley, and Devers), 4 of whom were members of the organization that had the #1 rated farm system in baseball.

-- Of those five guys, ONE is older than 26 (JBJ). Devers turned 22 five days ago.

-- The starting pitching staff has 2 Cy Young winners and 1 "How the Hell Has He Not Won It" pitcher. The closer is the fastest player ever to 300 saves. Price, Sale, and Kimbrel will all likely be Hall of Famers by the time their careers are up.

-- They have the AL MVP whose 2018 WAR of 10.9 is better than Mike Trout's career best for a season (10.5), and the best single season WAR since 2002. Betts also had a 9.7 WAR last season. The only players to have a season of 9.0+ WAR twice who aren't in the Hall of Fame? Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, and Mike Trout.

-- This team won 108 games, the 7th most wins ever and the 4th most for a World Series Champion. 

-- 13 players are 28 or younger. Only 6 players are over the age of 30. 

-- Hanley's 22 million is off the books this year. Rusney Castillo's 11 million is off the books after next season. Sandoval's cap hit drops from 18 million to 5 million after next season and is gone after 2020. 

Fluke teams don't just do that. You seriously should just come to grips with the fact that the 2018 Red Sox are easily a Top 10 team EVER, and poised to stay at the top for at least a few years.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I would’ve definitely preferred to see LA win, division rivalries and all that plus I really don’t like the Sox and Boston getting another championship, but this group seemed really likeable and HOLY MOLY Former Oriole Steve Pearce. Good for him. And in fairness, the better team definitely won this series. Congrats to the Sox and their fans. 

I do hope Kershaw gets a ring though. 

spacer.png

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

Why do I wish Red Sox and Bruins fans well and enjoy bantering with them but want Patriots fans to get hit by a bus? They can't be that different.

They aren't, but the Patriotiest of fans are the ones who'd rather watch History Channel reality show repeats during weeknights and also are probably afraid to drive into the city for Red Sox or Bruins games.

10 hours ago, Lafarge said:

Boston's always been a baseball town. Most Sox fans were watching well before the '04 title, so they have perspective. The stereotype that Patriots fans started watching after they became a dynasty is like 3/4 true. I have a bunch of friends who didn't watch football before they won it all a few times and none in any of the other three sports. By the time the Bruins bandwagon got piled onto (around 08 or so when they started to be good again), they were still several years away from winning a championship. It's also the least popular of the sports in Boston by a large margin, so you get a lot fewer of the stereotypical mouth breathers that root or the Patriots. 

I don't know about that. I could probably digress into a whole thread navelgazing on this subject. I think the Bruins and Celtics are both much more niche, so it depends on what niche you see day-to-day. But I will say that last year felt like, to me, the first year the Celtics were more popular than the Bruins in Boston, even including the late-00s years. (The late 80s probably would have been a good comparison point but I wasn't old and aware enough to care about such things yet.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I will also say, as a spoiled rotten Boston fan, that was easily the most fun and likable Red Sox team that I can remember. Between now and 2004 there's always been a bit of trouble finding an identity to this team, like it was just Ortiz and Pedroia and a bunch of mercenaries. But having a homegrown core that just so happens to be a bunch of good dudes who are also elite talents is kind of great! Between that and Brock Holt always doing something charming and the son of Rehoboth, MA Steve Pearce coming out of nowhere to be a folk hero and David Price's perfect redemption arc ... everything is great! Sorry I can't help the :censored: eating grin!

(Also, what an upgrade Alex Cora was over John Farrell in every way.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I am far less annoyed by this one than I am the last two Patriots championships or the 2013 Red Sox (If you want to talk charmed existence, Sabresrule, check out the 2013 Red Sox. That was an okay team that managed to get a hit and out exactly when they needed it for basically an entire season. The only reason I didn't completely hate that team was they beat the stupid Cardinals at the height or their McCallsiness). Those all felt like super flukey good fortune (like Edelman's catch against the Falcons) or the other team shooting themselves in the dick that kept going Boston's way. This one the Red Sox were just the best team and the best team should win. We can get into their payroll and how they're the new Yankees and all of that if you want to, but we've seen before how money isn't a guarantee of anything. 

Also I like Benintendi because I'm required by municipal order to love any Cincinnatian who makes good. Does Brandon Phillips get a ring? He played 9 games with the team, but wasn't on the postseason roster. I don't think he was Black Aceing it with them because I didn't see him in the dugout at all this postseason. 

And lastly, Ryan Madson being the World Series LVP is perfect justice for what he did to Joey Votto. :censored: that guy!

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I am not Sabresrule. He is a Bills fan, I am a Jets fan.

And to add I am a Rangers fan, and of course as his name implies, he is a fan of the Buffalo Sabres.

I know. Just joshing you. Sabres is his uniquely own person for better or for worse. 

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Also I like Benintendi because I'm required by municipal order to love any Cincinnatian who makes good. Does Brandon Phillips get a ring? He played 9 games with the team, but wasn't on the postseason roster. I don't think he was Black Aceing it with them because I didn't see him in the dugout at all this postseason. 

I’m pretty sure Dan Uggla got a ring with the 2014 Giants (after only spending a week with the team before being released), so Phillips should be good.

2 hours ago, Brass said:

If Nomar Garciaparra got a ring in 2004, then Brandon Phillips deserves one in 2018.

The Sox only get to 107 without Phillips hitting that home run against the Braves! Give the man his ring!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived