The Oakland/Las Vegas/Where The Hell Are We? Raiders

Mac the Knife

Let's get all the facts in this thread since there's a little misinformation here.

*The Raiders have threatened to leave Oakland after this season if the city pulls the trigger on their threat to file an antitrust lawsuit against the team and the NFL

*There's deals already in place for lease extensions to 2021 but with an out clause for said lawsuit

*Berkeley would not be an option due to logistics issues (and they've already vetoed the XFL)

*AT&T Park is likely not an option due to having to convert the field back and forth

*Stanford is a potential option

*The Raiders have avoided discussions with Levis and San Jose State

*League sources speculate that Sam Boyd may be a last minute option

Sources: https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Raiders-likely-to-bolt-Bay-Area-early-if-they-13276370.php

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders-nfl/raiders-arent-moving-to-las-vegas-before-2020/

VmWIn6B.png

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the NFL has learned from the mistake that was the 1997 Tennessee Oilers. The Oilers bolted Houston for Nashville but the stadium wasnt going to be ready until 1999 so they had to find a temporary home. Memphis was chosen for the two year stay but because the city had been trying to get an NFL team for years and now got one but only temporary fans didnt want to support and didnt show up, which is why the 1998 season was moved to Nashville at Vanderbilt. Putting the Raiders in a place like San Diego or Los Angeles for a temporary season is a bad idea.

*For the Raiders either keep the team in the bay area. Levis, AT&T, one of the many universities

*Move the team to Sam Boyd in Las Vegas

*Make them a traveling team. One week game site locations in London, Mexico City, San Diego, San Antonio, Orlando, Hawaii, St Louis, Las Vegas in future potential NFL cities.

*Stay at the Coliseum

*Suspend operations while the Vegas stadium is built.

Signature intentionally left blank

Just have them relocate to London for a season. The U.K fans would not object. Tottenham Hotspur new stadium will be complete. Logistics for travelling teams could possibly be a nightmare though.

glory10.png

25 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Hopefully the NFL has learned from the mistake that was the 1997 Tennessee Oilers. The Oilers bolted Houston for Nashville but the stadium wasnt going to be ready until 1999 so they had to find a temporary home. Memphis was chosen for the two year stay but because the city had been trying to get an NFL team for years and now got one but only temporary fans didnt want to support and didnt show up, which is why the 1998 season was moved to Nashville at Vanderbilt. Putting the Raiders in a place like San Diego or Los Angeles for a temporary season is a bad idea.

*For the Raiders either keep the team in the bay area. Levis, AT&T, one of the many universities

*Make them a traveling team. One week game site locations in London, Mexico City, San Diego, San Antonio, Orlando, Hawaii, St Louis, Las Vegas in future potential NFL cities.

*Stay at the Coliseum

I could see something closer to the 2005 Saints than one game per site: something like one game in Mexico City, one in London, but five or six games in San Diego or some other primary home-away-from-home. No NFL team will ever suspend operations short of a nuclear apocalypse. But most likely they stay in Oakland.

But is there any way this lawsuit could keep the team in Oakland and invalidate the move? That would be cool. I'd love it if the humanoid owner did something wrong and blew it in the eleventh hour.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

One game in Mexico, one in London, and then a grand tour of California. San Diego gets two games (hopefully one of them against the Chargers), Stanford or Levi’s gets three, and somewhere else (San Jose State? Fresno State? Rose Bowl?) gets the other one. Maybe put the preseason in Sam Boyd to see if it could possibly work out.

ExJworW.png

As absurd as I think a London franchise is, and as much as I think it can’t work, this is the absolute best opportunity to prove it feasible or not.  I know there’s other contracts in place for the Jags, but they should figure out some way for the Raiders to be the London Raiders for one season - or at least 6 of 8 games, just to test the logistical nightmare it presents. 

The risk on the positive side (which they’d certainly be fine with) is that if its successful, the Raiders could become “London’s team”, and will be more popular than whatever team is placed there. Again, that’s not really a problem and the chances of it happening are 0.0000000001076%

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 hours ago, kimball said:

Traveling team! Traveling team! Traveling team!

2019 Home Games

1 - SDCCU Stadium; San Diego

2 - Alamodome; San Antonio

3 - The Dome at America's Center; St. Louis

4 - Wembley Stadium; London

5 - Estadio Azteca; Mexico City

6 - Rogers Centre; Toronto

7 - Camping World Stadium; Orlando

8 - Legion Field; Birmingham

(SIDE NOTE: Post NFL team Stadium names suck)

Jags, Bucs, and maybe Dolphins wouldn't allow the Raiders in Orlando.. 

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

I could see something closer to the 2005 Saints than one game per site: something like one game in Mexico City, one in London, but five or six games in San Diego or some other primary home-away-from-home. No NFL team will ever suspend operations short of a nuclear apocalypse. But most likely they stay in Oakland.

But is there any way this lawsuit could keep the team in Oakland and invalidate the move? That would be cool. I'd love it if the humanoid owner did something wrong and blew it in the eleventh hour.

Ive thought of something like this as well...out of 10 games (including preseason) play once in London, once in Mexico City, keep preseason in the Bay Area (maybe Stanford) and split the other 6 games with 3 in San Antonio and 3 in San Diego.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

they should figure out some way for the Raiders to be the London Raiders for one season

No matter where the team plays its home games next year (apart from Las Vegas), I think we can assume that it will still be called the Oakland Raiders. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I would love for the Raiders to be placed in London for a season. Test the location out and have the team be called the Oakland Raiders of London. I would buy some stuff if that happens.

22 hours ago, LMU said:

Let's get all the facts in this thread since there's a little misinformation here.

*The Raiders have threatened to leave Oakland after this season if the city pulls the trigger on their threat to file an antitrust lawsuit against the team and the NFL

*There's deals already in place for lease extensions to 2021 but with an out clause for said lawsuit

*Berkeley would not be an option due to logistics issues (and they've already vetoed the XFL)

*AT&T Park is likely not an option due to having to convert the field back and forth

*Stanford is a potential option

*The Raiders have avoided discussions with Levis and San Jose State

*League sources speculate that Sam Boyd may be a last minute option

Sources: https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Raiders-likely-to-bolt-Bay-Area-early-if-they-13276370.php

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders-nfl/raiders-arent-moving-to-las-vegas-before-2020/

None of these options sound that great, which is why I’m surprised the Raiders are so against playing in Sam Boyd.

I know the venue is undersized and not up to NFL standards, but any situation they go into is coming with baggage and strings attached.

The London/multi-city ideas are great for fans, but nobody wants to be on a team that is literally flying all over the world to play home games. Unless the Raiders plan on moving their entire orginzation overseas, London is a no go.

The goal is to make sure at the very least you can play all eight games in one location, which is going to be difficult enough in of itself. Most of if not all of these venues have their 2019 schedules already set.

You can work around it. No venue is going to turn down hosting an NFL game if they can do it, but again baggage and strings.

21 hours ago, Dilbert said:

*Stay at the Coliseum

IIRC, both the Raiders and 49'ers have said a firm "no" to the team playing in Santa Clara, even for a season.  Sam Boyd would be bad aesthetically to a point where it'd remove a good chunk of the glitter around the move (go watch the XFL's inaugural game, then imagine it 20 years older and a brand new-to the city NFL team playing there).  The only travel would be to London or Mexico City, and only because the league office has a boner for London being the spot for a relocated franchise - which would make my "play in London for the season" idea a good one.  Staying at the Coliseum may not be an option based on all the lawsuits and what-not that are flying around.  And suspending operations?  Oh, that's just not going to happen.

20 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm not sure what the exact extent of the complaint is, but one thing I remember reading about at the time it was filed was that it could have the potential to forcibly strip the "Oakland Raiders" name away from the team, mandating a rebrand.  THAT would be interesting to say the least.  As for keeping the team in Oakland, however, I don't recall if that was part of what was being sought.

nav-logo.png

What about the Raiders moving to a city like Kansas City, Seattle, Denver or Phoenix for the year? Generally, football stadiums are underused as it is. It would be weird, but it's not like there isn't capacity.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Here's the Raiders 2019 schedule ...

Home

Jacksonville

Tennessee

Chicago

Detroit

Denver

Kansas City

LA Chargers

[AFC TEAM - North or East]

Road

Houston

Indianapolis

Green Bay

Minnesota

Denver

Kansas City

LA Chargers

[AFC TEAM - North or East]

Just looking at it, I could see how the NFL could further the London experiment. If they made the game against the Jaguars a London game, the Jags could stay an extra week to play their London home game. That would be a minimum in my opinion. But, at most, I could also see the NFL use the Jacksonville game and 2-3 more games of the Raiders schedule to test the experiment further. 

And, if they played at least four games in London that would leave four games to play within the US -- which you could either play all in Mexico City, partially in Mexico City and San Jose or the Bay Area. You'd have to believe there's somewhere in the Bay Area they could play at least one or two farewell games or playoff games if they made it.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 10/7/2018 at 3:09 PM, IanC said:

Just have them relocate to London for a season. The U.K fans would not object. Tottenham Hotspur new stadium will be complete. Logistics for travelling teams could possibly be a nightmare though.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Okay, I played with three options of schedules for the Raiders. One as a pure traveling team, one part-time in London and one full-time in London. I think all three COULD work, but the most possible if they can't find a reasonable state side stadium would be the London part-time in my opinion. I also love the idea of having one last Bay Area game and maybe one game in Vegas. 

* - I'm using the Pittsburgh Steelers and NY Jets as their wildcard opponents based on the current standings. 

OPTION ONE - Traveling Team

No one more than one game played at the same stadium for home games

1 vs. Chicago - SDCCU Stadium; San Diego or Sam Boyd Stadium; Las Vegas

2 @ Kansas City

3 @ Minnesota

4 vs. Jacksonville - Camping World Stadium; Orlando

5 vs. Denver - Wembley Stadium; London

6 @ NY Jets

7 vs. Detroit - Rogers Centre; Toronto  

8 @ Green Bay

9 @ Indianapolis 

10 vs. Kansas City - The Dome at America's Center; St. Louis

11 @ Houston

12 vs. Tennessee - Alamodome; San Antonio

13 vs. Pittsburgh - Estadio Azteca; Mexico City

14 @ LA Chargers

15 @ Denver

16 vs. LA Chargers - Levi's Stadium, Spartan Stadium or AT&T Park; Bay Area

NOTE: To minimize travel you can see how I clumps distance fairly close so the Raiders could keep somewhat of a homebase during parts of the season. So games in the Midwest and Texas/Mexico and SoCal would be clumped together.

OPTION TWO - Part-Time London

Four home games in London with two in San Antonio, one in Mexico City and one in the Bay Area.

1 @ Denver

2 @ Green Bay

3 vs. Jacksonville - Wembley Stadium; London

4 vs. Detroit - Wembley Stadium; London

5 vs. Kansas City - Wembley Stadium; London

6 vs. Chicago - Wembley Stadium; London

7 @ NY Jets

8 @ Indianapolis

9 vs. LA Chargers - Alamodome; San Antonio

10 @ Houston

11 vs. Tennessee - Alamodome; San Antonio

12 vs. Pittsburgh - Estadio Azteca; Mexico City

13 @ LA Chargers (maybe another game in Mexico City?)

14 @ Minnesota

15 @ Kansas City

16 vs. Denver - Levi's Stadium, Spartan Stadium or AT&T Park; Bay Area

NOTE: Travel should be minimized with a return game from London in NY and games focused later in the season around Texas/SoCal/Mexico City. 

OPTION TWO - Full-Time London

All home games played in London in two trips with two home stands of four games. 

1 @ Minnesota

2 @ Indianapolis

3 vs. Jacksonville

4 vs. Chicago

5 vs. Denver

6 vs. LA Chargers

7 @ Houston

8 @ LA Chargers

9 @ Green Bay

10 vs. Tennessee 

11 vs. Detroit

12 vs. Kansas City

13 vs. Pittsburgh

14 @ NY Jets 

15 @ Denver

16 @ Kansas City

NOTE: A bye week would be spent after Game 6 in London for the game in Houston. There wouldn't be after Game 13, but they'd play the Jets in New York which would work.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

48 minutes ago, KDubK414 said:

I figured out a better theme song for the 2019 Raiders National Football League Club...

Autumn Wind still works.  They'll just be a pirate ship going from port to port.

VmWIn6B.png

Another potential advantage of playing full-time in London (depending on your POV) is that the players themselves might see how great London is, and spread the word to their peers.  Making assumptions here, but I'd wager that the overwhelming majority of players haven't really traveled (not counting resorts) and going to a place to work for a few days on-and-off (like the Jaguars do) isn't really enough to get a feel for a city.  One of the (many) issues with a London team would be recruiting talented players.  All things being equal (money wise) I'd bet that most players would stay in the states where they're "stars" and in familiar territory.  Maybe putting a team there for a season would change the perception (or not... depends on how it goes.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived