The Oakland/Las Vegas/Where The Hell Are We? Raiders

Mac the Knife

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Jacksonville was a misunderstanding, but I don't think it was in quite that way. I know what you're talking about, that boosters were referring to it as being "the Green Bay of the South" in terms of being too small for the league but making up for it in passion, but I think the feeling was that Jacksonville would eventually be the next Sun Belt boomtown -- quick look at the census figures shows their population grew by about 18% over the 1980s -- like Charlotte, Raleigh, and Nashville were. Obviously, that didn't work out, but it was probably more about getting in on the ground floor of something big than immediately resigning themselves to smallest-of-small-market status. 

The expansion slot absolutely should have gone to one of the aforementioned, preferably Baltimore.

If the expansion team went to Baltimore, I wonder where Art Modell would have moved his team to?  Or would Modell sell the Browns and they continued to play from 1996-1999 instead of being inactive?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The worst thing about the Jaguars in London is that the bloody limeys keep calling them the "Jag-you-ars". I'm a pretty extreme Anglophile; but on this even I say "cut it out!"

I prefer that over the "Jag-wires".

On 10/12/2018 at 11:12 PM, GDAWG said:

If the expansion team went to Baltimore, I wonder where Art Modell would have moved his team to?  Or would Modell sell the Browns and they continued to play from 1996-1999 instead of being inactive?

St. Louis or maybe Memphis.  '95 was probably still too early for Nashville to have been a serious thought.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

39 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The worst thing about the Jaguars in London is that the bloody limeys keep calling them the "Jag-you-ars". I'm a pretty extreme Anglophile; but on this even I say "cut it out!"

I'd expect them to change their name if/when they move.  I don't think there's a lot of "Jaguars" fans in London, as much as there are just "American Football Team That Plays Here" fans, and the Jaguars have no real history or legacy to protect.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Say the Jags had moved to LA, and the Chargers either remained in Sd, or move to London.  Are the Jags better received in LA than the Chargers are?  I assume they'd be in the same stadium situation as the Chargers are.

On 10/9/2018 at 3:45 PM, SFGiants58 said:

How about the Oakland Raiders of the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh? ?

As someone who once had a girlfriend who lived in this neighborhood, this cracked me up to no end for some reason.

On 10/12/2018 at 4:02 PM, the admiral said:

If they move, they need to leave their snappy American name back home (y'know, for the future Jacksonville Jaguars franchise that will never come) and take on a new name like Scruffingford Lane AFC or Turdlington Rovers. 

Actually, "London Jaguars" would make perfect sense, given the automobile company's history.  They could actually go full-bore and do some kind of tie-in with them, rather than the adversarial relationship their then-owners had back in '93.

On 10/12/2018 at 5:51 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

1PM east coast games start at 7PM London time, so while not ideal, that's workable.  They could even start one game a week at noon or something if it helps.

What do you do when the Raiders FC United is on the west coast?  An 11 AM start would be 8PM London time - don't think you can start any later than that.  Can you start a game at 10 AM local time?

Looks like there's only a small window where daylight savings doesn't overlap, so that's probably not much of an issue.

Whenever a London team plays at home, it'll be scheduled to play in a 10AM or 1PM USET slot, guaranteed.  That's the biggest logistical hurdle of all:  time zone differential.  Other than being tried as a one-off just for the sake of novelty, a London-based team could never play a home SNF, MNF or TNF game.

On 10/12/2018 at 11:12 PM, GDAWG said:

Honestly?  If not for Baltimore, Modell doesn't relocate, but is rather forced to sell the franchise unless a new stadium deal emerges in Cleveland.  He bought that team with OPM, operated it for decades based on what he could borrow, and even the move to Baltimore merely postponed the inevitable.  Financially despite all the fan loyalty, the Browns were on their asses financially because Modell was always strapped for cash, taking from Peter to pay Paul.  IIRC part of the Baltimore move included an immediate cash infusion (by loan or otherwise) of somewhere between $50-150 million; money Modell needed to keep afloat, right then, right there.

He also never really consulted with his fellow owners or Paul Tagliabue about what he was doing before he pulled the trigger on everything.  Fart was well liked within the inner circle, and while he caught almost all of them completely unaware when he pulled up stakes, the owners decided to back him in the ensuing :censored:storm rather than do what they could've easily done - forced him out.

nav-logo.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2018 at 6:04 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Say the Jags had moved to LA, and the Chargers either remained in Sd, or move to London.  Are the Jags better received in LA than the Chargers are?  I assume they'd be in the same stadium situation as the Chargers are.

I don't think so, specifically because the NFL wanted two teams sharing one stadium. They'd be viewed probably about the same as the Chargers are now, but with less vitriol from their former fans. Only because they aren't 3 hours away.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 10/14/2018 at 5:22 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

They have the same issue US fans had in 1993, identifying them with the car manufacturer. I remember Tom Coughlin telling a story of receiving a call from the Jags and thinking it was a guy trying to sell him a car. The original logo didn't help either, though it did result in a better logo set.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 10/14/2018 at 6:04 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Not the answer to your question, but I'm sure you remember there was some not-insignificant Los Angeles Jaguars talk when the team was up for sale and the whole home slate was blacked out, 2009 or so. If that had gone through then, it probably would have been a pretty bad situation: maybe not the out-and-out disaster of the Chargers, but a team no one particularly asked for spending most of the 2010s in an awful slump would have been a big victory lap for the told-you-L.A.-doesn't-like-football set. The Rams were the right team at almost the right time and even that's been a little shaky.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/12/2018 at 1:34 PM, AstroBull21 said:

I'd be really pissed off if I was a Jags fan...

Because God forbid Jacksonville have a team, clearly it's 100% the market and nothing to do with 7 winning seasons in 23 with 24 looking like another ? I mean that does burn people out after a point.  We actually have a lot of home grown people unlike most of florida but also a few naval bases and they bring their fandoms with them which makes it difficult in some aspects. 

#DTWD #GoJaguars

9 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

Because God forbid Jacksonville have a team, clearly it's 100% the market and nothing to do with 7 winning seasons in 23 with 24 looking like another ? I mean that does burn people out after a point.  We actually have a lot of home grown people unlike most of florida but also a few naval bases and they bring their fandoms with them which makes it difficult in some aspects. 

The boldfaced statement above is true for all of Florida, and not just Jacksonville.  There are good amounts of homegrown locals in the state, theyre just over taken by the transplants and visitors.

On 10/6/2018 at 4:55 PM, Mac the Knife said:

The Las Vegas Raiders of Oakland are, by virtually everyone involved in the situation, apparently not going to be calling the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (sorry, I try to avoid corporate whoring unless I'm being paid myself) beyond the 2018 season.  This despite the fact that at earliest their new stadium in Las Vegas won't be ready until 2020.

Everyone involved is also saying that a one-year stay at luxuriously atrocious by NFL standards Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas is not a viable option.  This in essence means that unless something changes, in 2019 the NFL's going to have a modern-day version of the Seattle Pilots:  a team that plays in some city for one year, then relocates.

Among the rumors floating around are that, of all places, San Diego is under consideration as a potential temporary home for the Raiders, which seems about as likely to go over about as well as... well, insert your own phrase here.  It won't go over well.

So, conjecture time:  Where will the franchise currently known as the Oakland Raiders call home for its 2019 season?  Oakland?  Las Vegas?  San Diego?  San Antonio?  Sacramento?  Neptune?  Make your best guess and discuss here...

Why wouldn’t San Diego go over well? San Diego has no team, and the Raiders are the anti-Chargers which is a huge marketing point in SD... If anything I’d wager the Raiders would be a rousing success off field in San Diego.

On 10/7/2018 at 11:30 AM, LMU said:

Let's get all the facts in this thread since there's a little misinformation here.

*The Raiders have threatened to leave Oakland after this season if the city pulls the trigger on their threat to file an antitrust lawsuit against the team and the NFL

*There's deals already in place for lease extensions to 2021 but with an out clause for said lawsuit

*Berkeley would not be an option due to logistics issues (and they've already vetoed the XFL)

*AT&T Park is likely not an option due to having to convert the field back and forth

*Stanford is a potential option

*The Raiders have avoided discussions with Levis and San Jose State

*League sources speculate that Sam Boyd may be a last minute option

Sources: https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Raiders-likely-to-bolt-Bay-Area-early-if-they-13276370.php

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders-nfl/raiders-arent-moving-to-las-vegas-before-2020/

Actually no lease is in place beyond this season in Oakland. The groundwork is there for a lease extension to 2021... but the city has not signed it nor do they intend to.

Archived