Mac the Knife

The Oakland/Las Vegas/Where The Hell Are We? Raiders

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Jacksonville was a misunderstanding, but I don't think it was in quite that way. I know what you're talking about, that boosters were referring to it as being "the Green Bay of the South" in terms of being too small for the league but making up for it in passion, but I think the feeling was that Jacksonville would eventually be the next Sun Belt boomtown -- quick look at the census figures shows their population grew by about 18% over the 1980s -- like Charlotte, Raleigh, and Nashville were. Obviously, that didn't work out, but it was probably more about getting in on the ground floor of something big than immediately resigning themselves to smallest-of-small-market status. 

The expansion slot absolutely should have gone to one of the aforementioned, preferably Baltimore.

If the expansion team went to Baltimore, I wonder where Art Modell would have moved his team to?  Or would Modell sell the Browns and they continued to play from 1996-1999 instead of being inactive?

The worst thing about the Jaguars in London is that the bloody limeys keep calling them the "Jag-you-ars". I'm a pretty extreme Anglophile; but on this even I say "cut it out!"

34 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The worst thing about the Jaguars in London is that the bloody limeys keep calling them the "Jag-you-ars". I'm a pretty extreme Anglophile; but on this even I say "cut it out!"

I prefer that over the "Jag-wires".

On 10/12/2018 at 11:12 PM, GDAWG said:

If the expansion team went to Baltimore, I wonder where Art Modell would have moved his team to?  Or would Modell sell the Browns and they continued to play from 1996-1999 instead of being inactive?

St. Louis or maybe Memphis.  '95 was probably still too early for Nashville to have been a serious thought.

39 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'd expect them to change their name if/when they move.  I don't think there's a lot of "Jaguars" fans in London, as much as there are just "American Football Team That Plays Here" fans, and the Jaguars have no real history or legacy to protect.

Say the Jags had moved to LA, and the Chargers either remained in Sd, or move to London.  Are the Jags better received in LA than the Chargers are?  I assume they'd be in the same stadium situation as the Chargers are.

On 10/9/2018 at 3:45 PM, SFGiants58 said:

How about the Oakland Raiders of the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh? 😉

As someone who once had a girlfriend who lived in this neighborhood, this cracked me up to no end for some reason.

On 10/12/2018 at 4:02 PM, the admiral said:

If they move, they need to leave their snappy American name back home (y'know, for the future Jacksonville Jaguars franchise that will never come) and take on a new name like Scruffingford Lane AFC or Turdlington Rovers. 

Actually, "London Jaguars" would make perfect sense, given the automobile company's history.  They could actually go full-bore and do some kind of tie-in with them, rather than the adversarial relationship their then-owners had back in '93.

On 10/12/2018 at 5:51 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

1PM east coast games start at 7PM London time, so while not ideal, that's workable.  They could even start one game a week at noon or something if it helps.

What do you do when the Raiders FC United is on the west coast?  An 11 AM start would be 8PM London time - don't think you can start any later than that.  Can you start a game at 10 AM local time?

Looks like there's only a small window where daylight savings doesn't overlap, so that's probably not much of an issue.

Whenever a London team plays at home, it'll be scheduled to play in a 10AM or 1PM USET slot, guaranteed.  That's the biggest logistical hurdle of all:  time zone differential.  Other than being tried as a one-off just for the sake of novelty, a London-based team could never play a home SNF, MNF or TNF game.

On 10/12/2018 at 11:12 PM, GDAWG said:

Honestly?  If not for Baltimore, Modell doesn't relocate, but is rather forced to sell the franchise unless a new stadium deal emerges in Cleveland.  He bought that team with OPM, operated it for decades based on what he could borrow, and even the move to Baltimore merely postponed the inevitable.  Financially despite all the fan loyalty, the Browns were on their asses financially because Modell was always strapped for cash, taking from Peter to pay Paul.  IIRC part of the Baltimore move included an immediate cash infusion (by loan or otherwise) of somewhere between $50-150 million; money Modell needed to keep afloat, right then, right there.

He also never really consulted with his fellow owners or Paul Tagliabue about what he was doing before he pulled the trigger on everything.  Fart was well liked within the inner circle, and while he caught almost all of them completely unaware when he pulled up stakes, the owners decided to back him in the ensuing :censored:storm rather than do what they could've easily done - forced him out.