Forgotten Rivalries

Crabcake

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Moneyball-era A's had a bit of a mini-rivalry with the Twins in the early 2000s.

AJ Pierzynski became my most hated player for quite a while after they knocked out the Moneyball team in '02--it felt so good to get them back in the '06 ALDS (before the Tigers wiped the floor with us.)

The A's/Yankees rivalry was pretty heated in the early 2000s too after Jason Giambi defected to the Empire and cut his hair.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

20 hours ago, B-Rich said:

It actually started going downhill in the mid-1960s, when Tulane University made a decision to "de-emphasize" athletics and correspondingly left the SEC (a REALLY stupid decision in hindsight; if they stayed in they would be the Vandy of the SEC West-- and probably Vandy's permanent cross-division opponent). 

That definitely falls into the "what the hell were they thinking?" category, though it probably made some sense at the time.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 10/10/2018 at 12:13 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Reds-Dodgers was a big one when both teams were contenders and together in the NL West (because Chicago and St. Louis threw a hissy fit and became NL East teams). However, realignment and their respective mid-1990s doldrums squashed it.

This is an interesting one because hating the Dodgers is a generational thing. My dad still hates the Dodgers and I’ve never cared one way or the other. The last time it mattered was the 95 NLDS. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, AstroBull21 said:

I just remembered that LSU played a 3 for 1 against Tulane from 2006-2009

The two schools temporarily renewed the rivalry in 2006, agreeing to alternate home fields every year for 10 years. (https://lsu.rivals.com/news/lsu-and-tulane-to-play-home-and-home-series).  LSU-Tulane played at LSU in 2006, then at Tulane in 2007.  Prior to the 2008 season, Tulane agreed to move the 2009 game to LSU due to an LSU scheduling conflict.  It was to be (in principle) LSU in 2008 and 2009, then Tulane in 2010 and 2011. The 2008 and 2009 games were played in Baton Rouge.

Meanwhile, AD Skip Bertman ( who signed the original contract) retired and was replaced with current AD Joe Alleva.  Alleva pushed to shift all remaining matches to Baton Rouge's Tiger Stadium. "It makes no financial sense for us to ever play Tulane in New Orleans," he said at the time.

The contract was cancelled after the 2009 game, with the two sides promising to play one game, at an unspecified future date, in New Orleans.

That game has yet to happen.

It is what it is.

I just skimmed over the four pages of the thread so apologies in advance if these have been mentioned...

Braves - Dodgers was a nice little rivalry for a couple years the early 80's. It was at the start of the TBS "SuperStation" thing when they were calling the Braves "America's Team." The Braves and Dodgers were both in the NL West. The Braves won the division by one game over the Dodgers in '82. The Dodgers won by three over the Braves in '83. The whole thing was over by 1985, but it was pretty intense while it lasted. 

Like some of the other older members around here, I remember Reds - Dodgers being a huge rivalry back when they were both in the NL West. Pirates - Reds was a thing for a minute in the 70's. 

As LMU pointed out, Red Wings - Avalanche was a really nasty rivalry for a while there. I remember going out of my way to watch when those two faced off. 

And...as Fernando pointed out, Yankees - Royals was a big rivalry in the late 70's and early 80's. Those two teams hated each other. 

BB52Big.jpg

6 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Montreal-Detroit late 40s through the 1950s

Well thank G-d it’s a divisional rivalry again, both to appease a blood pact the Wings made with the League and to justify cramming as many O6 teams into a division with Florida and Tampa as possible! 

Flyers / Oilers

Flyers / Islanders

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

With the Hawks and Wings and the Bruins and Habs paired off, was there ever any significant rivalry between the Rangers and the Leafs?

This will sting the very foundation of what being New York means and everything, but the Rangers were always, far-and-away, the weak sister of the [surviving] Original Six. And, for whatever its worth, I suppose the Bruins and Habs have more playoff meetings all-time and that might be your criterion here for pairing those two off, but I would think that Montreal-Toronto has always been the bigger actual rivalry for the cultural battle that exists between those two. For that matter, Boston-New York has always been a heated sporting rivalry as well even beyond baseball. 

spacer.png

Archived