infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week Five

infrared41

Make it two weeks in a row in which there wasn't a whole lot to work with. We barely had enough good looking games to do a full best list. There were no truly awful looking games this week so no worst list this week. Rams - Seahawks tried, but couldn't quite get there. Dolphins - Bengals wasn't great, but the Dolphins looked just good enough to keep the game off the worst list. As always, the lists are my opinion. No more, no less. Your opinion may be different than mine and that's perfectly fine. All I ask is that we keep the conversation civil and limited to the uniforms. So let's get started.

BEST:

1. Vikings - Super Bowl Champion Eagles: You wouldn't think green and purple would make for a great color combo, but to me, at least, it really works. The SBC Eagles home uniform has really grown on me over the years. I like it a little better every season. Do your best to ignore Wentz's shoes. 

3TvCq6O.jpg

2. Packers - Lions: It's been a weird trip for me with the Lions uniforms. When they debuted, I really wanted to like them, but I didn't. These days, I really don't want to like them, but I kinda do. They aren't great, but when matched up with the right team, they look pretty solid. The Packers road uniform is one of my favorites.

ms8eETC.jpg

3. Giants - Panthers: Good looking game between two good looking uniforms. Have the Panthers worn anything other than all white so far this season?

7O3ljki.jpg

4. Cowboys - Texans: Solid looking game. Great helmets. 

1hsX7vY.jpg

5. Raiders - Chargers: If I did the best list based on colors alone, this game might be higher than #5. But I don't base the best list on colors alone. There are a lot of things I don't like about the Chargers uniforms - stupid stripes, shoehorned colors, etc. - but I have to admit that this game didn't look half bad. For my money, the Raiders have the best road uniforms in the NFL and the sunshine really made the powder blue pop in this one. 

mDu8B8P.jpg

And that is it for this week. Here's hoping we have a little more to work with next week. Thanks for taking a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

Is this the first time the SBCPE have been in the #1 slot?

I didn't see the game, but that photo really makes it look great (outside of the aforementioned cleats.)

GIants/Panthers would have been better if the NYG had worn their gray pants, even though I hate their gray pants.

Out of those 5, I'd probably give it to the LV R of O vs Chargers, just based on colors alone.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is this the first time the SBCPE have been in the #1 slot?

I didn't see the game, but that photo really makes it look great (outside of the aforementioned cleats.)

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the SBCPE have made the #1 slot a couple times prior to this. In any case, I thought it was easily the best looking game of the week - cleats aside, of course. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

I thought Bengals-Dolphins was pretty good

m1srb4b.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Dolphins current look, but I gotta admit that this combo looks solid. The Bengals are a disaster. There's just too much going on with the side panels, the awful pants stripes, etc. That said, the Bengals are only a few tweaks away from looking good. 

BB52Big.jpg

Disagree on Giants/Panthers. Giants look ok. The blue on white look with the white numbers lacks pizzazz. Just kind of a spartan boring look. Time to bring back GIANTS on the helmet fulltime. 

Panthers I've never felt at all. To me the black, silver and Carolina Blue just don't work at all. Carolina Blue as an accent color just pops too bright. Everything about their look is stuck in 1995 and seems dated to me.

And for Browns/Ravens, this is not awful. Could be a lot worsejoieyuach75njuhci20e.jpg

18 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

And for Browns/Ravens, this is not awful. Could be a lot worsejoieyuach75njuhci20e.jpg

Yeah, it could have been a lot worse. I like the Ravens all white combo. Had they worn the black pants, this one would have made the worst list. I love the Browns CR jersey, but they gotta get rid of the brown pants. They’re straight up awful. White pants with the orange stripes and that jersey would be a killer look. But the all brown is just ugly. I believe it was LMU who said the Browns CR uniforms look like a Skor candy bar. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, Ark said:

Not many great matchups this week. I also like Bengals vs. Dolphins. Very bright, and orange + aqua looks good together. 

Seroious question, do you even consider the overall look of a uniform or is it all about the colors? For example, I think the Bucs have a cool color scheme, but the uniforms are God awful. Same deal with the Cardinals - great logo and helmet, good colors, and a uniform that is pure garbage. I ask because it seems to me that you don’t really concern yourself with the overall look of a uniform, you just like the colors. Which is fine, it’s just a little unusual around here. 

BB52Big.jpg

40 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Time to bring back GIANTS on the helmet fulltime. 

I disagree. The team represents New York City. One of, if not the, most famous cities in the world. The brand ought to focus on the locale over the nickname.

12 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I disagree. The team represents New York City. One of, if not the, most famous cities in the world. The brand ought to focus on the locale over the nickname.

Also, that helmet was front-and-center for one of the most famous catches in Super Bowl history:

nfl-091013-davidtyreejpg-32013d95b8663ab

Also, it has the same amount of titles associated with it as the GIANTS helmet, plus an additional Super Bowl appearance. The ship has sailed for dumping the current design.

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Also, that helmet was front-and-center for one of the most famous catches in Super Bowl history:

nfl-091013-davidtyreejpg-32013d95b8663ab

Also, it has the same amount of titles associated with it as the GIANTS helmet, plus an additional Super Bowl appearance. The ship has sailed for dumping the current design.

Not to mention, the ny helmet is the better looking helmet of the two. 

BB52Big.jpg

11 hours ago, infrared41 said:

1. Vikings - Super Bowl Champion Eagles: You wouldn't think green and purple would make for a great color combo, but to me, at least, it really works. The SBC Eagles home uniform has really grown on me over the years. I like it a little better every season. Do your best to ignore Wentz's shoes. 

2000px-Logos_Wimbledon_Championships.svg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

11 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I meant as a uniform match up. 

I get that, but the fact that they work well together in other contexts helps explain why they also work in this context.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I was so torn as to who I felt looked best. I felt overall it was a pretty down week and there wasn’t much to pick from, but there were still some good ones here and there. Personally I liked Panthers/Giants and Packers/Lions more than Vikings/Eagles, but that was definitely still a top-5 worthy matchup even still. Jaguars/Chiefs had great potential, but got kinda wrecked with the Jags’ black leggings look. White pants would put it in the top-5; teal numbers instead of black may have made it the top. Oh, what could’ve been.

Just a couple of general matchup-related thoughts if I may:

- I have a two-part theory as to why the Panthers always look really great when matched up with traditional teams like the Giants and others: 1) their color scheme usually contrasts very well against traditional teams’ color schemes, and 2) the uniform has a lot more of a traditional feel going for it than it’s given credit for. Block font, shoulder loops, straightforward design elements which are only modernized with tasteful tapering which gives it its “slashy” feel while still maintaining the bones of a classic football uniform. It has the look of a uniform that may have had very classic and traditional roots, but was tastefully modernized to fit the times. I think that’s precisely why, I’m my opinion, it has held up so well over 23 years and looks so good against traditional teams. 

- As far as strictly color contrast goes, Raiders/Chargers was good. And as I’ve said before, the Raiders’ uniform superpower is greatly enhancing almost every uniform matchup they’re in. But as much as I’ve really really really really tried to like the Chargers’ uniforms, I just don’t. There’s too much wrong with it. The warped-looking shoulder bolts, the tacky Agency FB number font, the fact that the bolts are never against the same color background unless they’re in mono-navy or color rush (no seriously, that’s a HUGE peeve of mine, looks awful), the powder blue and gold inside the bolts muddying together to look like a sickish green from a distance...it’s just not a great uniform no matter what color it’s in - powder blue, navy, whatever. They’ve got a long way to go before it’s a good uniform again.  So this was just a really long way of saying that despite the color contrast being nice and the Raiders being a part of this matchup, neither was ultimately enough to carry the Chargers into a top-5 spot for me personally. And if the Raiders and powder blue can’t, I don’t know what ever will until the Chargers make the changes that need to be made.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I guess it depends  on the uniform, but if you're actually watching a football game you'll mostly see the big picture rather than the fine details. So something like the Bengals pants stripes aren't that noticeable from the standard TV distance (or when you're actually at a stadium) and you just have a nice matchup.

This is probably more true for the dumb details on the Browns uniforms, which is why I think the Raiders-Browns game from last week could be the best of the season. 

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I meant as a uniform match up. 

"Witches and wizards often reveal themselves to each other in public by wearing purple or green, often in combination. In Britain (and much of Europe) purple has an association with both royalty and religion. Purple dyes, being costly, were once worn only by those who could afford them; bishops’ rings are traditionally set with amethysts. Green has long had a supernatural connection in the UK. Superstition says that it ought to be worn with care; the fairies are supposedly possessive of it, as it is their proper colour. It ought never to be worn at weddings, due to a further association with misfortune and death. Green is the colour of much ‘Dark’ magic; of the ‘Dark Mark’, of the luminescent potion in which Voldemort conceals one of his Horcruxes, of many ‘Dark’ spells and curses, and of Slytherin house. The combination of purple and green, therefore, is suggestive of both sides of magic: the noble and the ignoble, the helpful and the destructive."

https://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/colours

Love the combo.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Archived