infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week Five

infrared41

16 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Make it two weeks in a row in which there wasn't a whole lot to work with. We barely had enough good looking games to do a full best list. There were no truly awful looking games this week so no worst list this week. Rams - Seahawks tried, but couldn't quite get there. Dolphins - Bengals wasn't great, but the Dolphins looked just good enough to keep the game off the worst list. As always, the lists are my opinion. No more, no less. Your opinion may be different than mine and that's perfectly fine. All I ask is that we keep the conversation civil and limited to the uniforms. So let's get started.

BEST:

1. Vikings - Super Bowl Champion Eagles: You wouldn't think green and purple would make for a great color combo, but to me, at least, it really works. The SBC Eagles home uniform has really grown on me over the years. I like it a little better every season. Do your best to ignore Wentz's shoes. 

3TvCq6O.jpg

2. Packers - Lions: It's been a weird trip for me with the Lions uniforms. When they debuted, I really wanted to like them, but I didn't. These days, I really don't want to like them, but I kinda do. They aren't great, but when matched up with the right team, they look pretty solid. The Packers road uniform is one of my favorites.

ms8eETC.jpg

3. Giants - Panthers: Good looking game between two good looking uniforms. Have the Panthers worn anything other than all white so far this season?

7O3ljki.jpg

4. Cowboys - Texans: Solid looking game. Great helmets. 

1hsX7vY.jpg

5. Raiders - Chargers: If I did the best list based on colors alone, this game might be higher than #5. But I don't base the best list on colors alone. There are a lot of things I don't like about the Chargers uniforms - stupid stripes, shoehorned colors, etc. - but I have to admit that this game didn't look half bad. For my money, the Raiders have the best road uniforms in the NFL and the sunshine really made the powder blue pop in this one. 

mDu8B8P.jpg

And that is it for this week. Here's hoping we have a little more to work with next week. Thanks for taking a look. 

Just realized the Chargers' powder blue socks have a little yellow sliver at the bottom. I like that. Their uniforms do leave a lot to be desired overall though.

21 hours ago, infrared41 said:

5. Raiders - Chargers: If I did the best list based on colors alone, this game might be higher than #5. But I don't base the best list on colors alone. There are a lot of things I don't like about the Chargers uniforms - stupid stripes, shoehorned colors, etc. - but I have to admit that this game didn't look half bad. For my money, the Raiders have the best road uniforms in the NFL and the sunshine really made the powder blue pop in this one. 

mDu8B8P.jpg

See   . . . Now with that I don't agree regarding the Raiders having the best road unforms.

I like their color rush look with the silver jersey numbers like they last wore as a primary in 1970.  That with the white pants and they look simply awesome!

This to me is a far superior look.

IMG_1229_zpsvhsd2ufp.jpg~original

Silver / gold helmets shouldn't be worn with white pants.  That instantly disqualifies that set.

Also, I like the black numbers better because they go with the helmet and pants stripe.

The Raiders don't have the best road set, but they're definitely up there.  As for traditional uniforms, I'd rank the Steelers ahead of them, but I've never done an overall personal ranking.

'

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not a huge fan of the Texans helmet (the rest of their look is fine though fairly uninspired) because it's too much navy IMO. It works well as a full set, but I'd prefer an ID built around a white helmet so that gorgeous logo really pops. Pair that with a messy Cowboys and that'd be the one matchup I disagree on.

The Browns would need to drop the brown pants for that to be a full time look, but I haven't minded the monochrome when they've gone for it so far.

Packers/Lions should be #1 in my opinion, but it's almost too easy of a pick. Chargers/Raiders is the closest IMO, should be higher.

If the Bengals colored in those side panels that game would be twice as good and it's already great.

5 hours ago, ARTnSocal said:

See   . . . Now with that I don't agree regarding the Raiders having the best road unforms.

Guess it’s a good thing we allow for differing opinions here at infrared’s uniform shoppe and gaming emporium. ? Speaking of which, I think the Raiders CR uniform is a little weak. The silver numbers almost disappear into all that white and as Vet pointed out, white pants don’t look so good with a silver helmet. But to each his own, right?

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

The Browns would need to drop the brown pants for that to be a full time look, but I haven't minded the monochrome when they've gone for it so far.

Packers/Lions should be #1 in my opinion, but it's almost too easy of a pick. Chargers/Raiders is the closest IMO, should be higher.

If the Bengals colored in those side panels that game would be twice as good and it's already great.

1. Over the years of doing these lists, I think I’ve made it pretty clear that the only monochrome look I like is all white. I think all brown or all blue or all red...and so on looks like high school. I’d much rather see some contrast between jerseys and pants. Ideally, pants should be a team’s secondary color like the Niners or Raiders, etc. If I can’t have that then give me white. All brown is easily the worst monochrome look in football. 

2. Just my opinion, but the Lions number font is one of the things that keeps that uniform from being higher on the list. I like the colors, but there are some issues with that uniform that keep it from being a really good looking set. 

3. Fix the pants stripes too and we have a deal. Until then, it’s just the orange version of a really bad uniform. 

BB52Big.jpg

13 hours ago, infrared41 said:

1. Over the years of doing these lists, I think I’ve made it pretty clear that the only monochrome look I like is all white. I think all brown or all blue or all red...and so on looks like high school. I’d much rather see some contrast between jerseys and pants. Ideally, pants should be a team’s secondary color like the Niners or Raiders, etc. If I can’t have that then give me white. All brown is easily the worst monochrome look in football. 

2. Just my opinion, but the Lions number font is one of the things that keeps that uniform from being higher on the list. I like the colors, but there are some issues with that uniform that keep it from being a really good looking set. 

3. Fix the pants stripes too and we have a deal. Until then, it’s just the orange version of a really bad uniform. 

1) I agree, especially in terms of being a primary look. The fact that it's a special uniform allows me to be okay with it, especially since even as a monochrome I like it better than the usual jerseys. The Seahawks are among my few exceptions, but a lot of people hate their monochrome too.

2) I overall found the Lions set to be overrated because I don't like the lack of white, the letters on the sleeves, or the extra gray outline. But the colors are great and match up so well with the Packers that it's hard for me to knock that game. Both teams are wearing great combos within their sets too.

3) Didn't they use to have a better pants stripe within this same identity? I could live with it as-is personally if they dropped the side panels, but they could make those better too. I won't agree that it's a really bad uniform but I understand many people have issues with their look. 

The latter years of that were miles better, with the normal block font and numbers on shoulders. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

53 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The latter years of that were miles better, with the normal block font and numbers on shoulders. 

Agreed, I’d also add the bolder, simpler, and more superior tiger stripe treatment on the shoulders and pants as well:

chad-johnson-of-the-cincinnati-bengals-i

half-back-corey-dillon-of-the-cincinnati

I still scratch my head as to why they ever went away from this. It was so good.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

The Bengals used to look like this. It's much better than their current get up.  

91x-5d0Tw0L._SL1500_.jpg

Many people share this opinion, but I'm not among them. IMO, their current stripes are so much better. The look you posted, while simple, bold, and consistent - just looks dated as hell to me. It's really ugly (OPINIONS) but I know people love it. Maybe in a modern template it would translate well, but I do not like that set. The current look gets a lot of hate but I truly think the side-panels are the only real issue. Other tweaks could be made, but I adore their white jersey since it doesn't share that issue with the black/orange. Also, the Bengal head is a much better primary, but they could make a striped letter work if it was a C instead.

As for the pants, I was referring to this:

116608518.jpg.0.jpg

...in that they didn't always have the pants stripe running onto the front of the leg, but that doesn't bother me all that much either. 

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

Many people share this opinion, but I'm not among them. IMO, their current stripes are so much better. The look you posted, while simple, bold, and consistent - just looks dated as hell to me. It's really ugly (OPINIONS) but I know people love it. Maybe in a modern template it would translate well, but I do not like that set. The current look gets a lot of hate but I truly think the side-panels are the only real issue. Other tweaks could be made, but I adore their white jersey since it doesn't share that issue with the black/orange. Also, the Bengal head is a much better primary, but they could make a striped letter work if it was a C instead

Heres the way I see it. With the set prior to the current uniform, the Bengals took a gimmick and turned it into a football uniform. With the current set, they took a football uniform and turned it into a gimmick. And that’s the difference. 

BB52Big.jpg

15 hours ago, infrared41 said:

The Bengals used to look like this. It's much better than their current get up.  

91x-5d0Tw0L._SL1500_.jpg

Maybe I'm being optimistic but I truly don't think we're prepared for the coming onslaught of late century-inspired uniform redesigns coming our way in the next 2-3 years. I think it's likely that by 2022 the following teams will be wearing either near full replicas or getups clearly inspired by 80s and 90s uniforms:

Jets

Eagles

Giants

Rams

And that circumstances could also lead these teams to do the same in theory:

Bengals

Falcons

Browns

Broncos

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

8 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Heres the way I see it. With the set prior to the current uniform, the Bengals took a gimmick and turned it into a football uniform. With the current set, they took a football uniform and turned it into a gimmick. And that’s the difference. 

That's an interesting viewpoint. In a way, I agree, because the old set is essentially a traditional football set with a gimmick applied to it. But I still think the new look is better and the gimmicky elements applied look far superior. I can understand seeing the whole product and siding with the old look, but let's break it down.

First, look at the Chad Johnson pants versus the whoever that is old pants (my apologies to any Bengals fans). You may argue, fairly, that a full pants stripe is better, but look at the stripes themselves. The old look reminds me of Zubaz, although vertical rather than horizontal. The new stripes are bold, simple, and elegant. Some people may hate the yoke, but I think the new shoulder stripes are clearly superior as well. Maybe the biggest issue with the old set was that the shoulder stripes always seemed to get bunched up in action, especially at the pits. A modern template may fix that, but I still think the current shoulder stripes look cleaner and more cool regardless. And yes, Finsup's post shows improved stripes on the old set, but I still prefer the modern look personally.

So it could be argued that the old set is a simple uniform with overly complex elements whereas the current uniform is overly complex but has stronger elements (OPINIONS).

I agree that the side panels are bad, but the other major complaint seems to be the numbers. Going back to a the old font with a simple outline wouldn't work as well with the outlandish, but IMO beautiful, set they currently use.

Archived