Philosophical question - Monochromatic Design

Why do monochromatic uniforms look so good in baseball and basketball, and butt ugly in football and hockey?

For example, why would Michigan's basketball team look stupid with Blue jerseys and Maize shorts? And why would the football team look bad in all Maize?  And then some like soccer can go either way: contrast or all-same. 

Just an aesthetic thing I've always wondered.  

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Personally, I don’t subscribe to the belief that certain sports have traditions and anything outside those traditions is inherently bad or ugly. I evaluate solely on whether it looks good and/or provides value to the team because of its distinctiveness. There are plenty of looks that are aesthetically sound even though they break the “aesthetic rules” of the sport, and plenty more that could be fine with a few adjustments. I wouldn’t mind a few teams going monochromatic in football, a few teams going full color in baseball, a hockey team or two using white breezes, and a team or two going mismatched jersey/short or loud color in basketball. When everyone tries to do it is when it becomes tiring and valueless.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don’t think it’s completely accurate. Baseball has VERY few monochromatic uniforms, the cap would have to match for that to be the case. Basketball uniforms cover significantly less than other uniforms. Whenever people complain about monochromatic football uniforms, they conveniently ignore the plethora of all white looks, and there are decent looking exceptions as well (Ravens all black comes to mind). Hockey is full of fantastic monochromatic looks, I’ve never heard anyone complain about monochromatic hockey uniforms as a universal bad.

It really is a case-by-case thing. You can’t really make a blanket statement about that.

2 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Why do monochromatic uniforms look so good in baseball and basketball, and butt ugly in football and hockey?

Do you mean monochrome light colors look good in baseball and monochrome light colors look ugly in hockey?

Because both these teams are monochrome red and it isn't the hockey uniform that is ugly 

25618265451_6245a6da5e_o.jpg28-Y-REDWINGS-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

11 hours ago, Kaz said:

Do you mean monochrome light colors look good in baseball and monochrome light colors look ugly in hockey?

Because both these teams are monochrome red and it isn't the hockey uniform that is ugly 

25618265451_6245a6da5e_o.jpg28-Y-REDWINGS-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

Yes, and thank you. It was a hastily written post. But yes, I was specifically meaning the all-white or all-gray look that has dominated much of baseball. 

I guess hockey goes both ways, so put it in the camp with soccer where anything goes. Except light colored pants. Light pants generally look bad in hockey. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

What's an example of light colored pants in hockey?

Maybe not completely monochrome as the jersey is half gray, but this comes to mind

la-kings-stadium-series.jpg?itok=oLVl2B0W

I personally don't mind the look, but I think that's an unpopular opinion around here

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

What's an example of light colored pants in hockey?

The most infamous example would be the 1974-75 Washington Capitals, who wore white pants with their road uniform for part of their inaugural season.  The switched to blue pants part way through the season when their white pants became yellowed by sweat stains.

Washington-Capitals-White-Pants-1974.jpg  USy3oF7.jpg

More recently Toronto wore white pants for an outdoor game, coincidentally against the Caps who themselves wore blue pants, apparently with white yoga pants underneath them.

X2BZltn.jpg

i dont think they look ugly. i think its more of a matter of how often you see it. you expect a basketball/baseball uniform to be one color but football/hockey mostly uses 2 or 3 colors. im all for dark or neutral colored uniforms though regardless of sport. i like it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1. What looks good looks good, what looks bad looks bad, regardless of context.  THere's good football uniforms that violate the traditional aesthetic, and there's godsawful uniforms that adhere to every rule.

2. THat being said, context is important.  In rec-league basketball, if a team was wearing red shirts and red shorts, it would look very strange, because the aesthetic in rec leagues is for the shirt and shorts not to match.  It's just how it is.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That '53 Pack team photo, albeit they were wearing kelly green at the time and not the current forest green, supports my own belief that the Packers should avoid monochrome green or gold...that, and that if they ever adopt a gold jersey, it would only work if paired with white pants.  I know there are green/gold teams that have made green pants work, but I don't think the Packers are among those teams.

Conversely, the Bucks would look strange if they paired the white jerseys with the green shorts, or vice versa, given that their uniforms weren't really designed with a mix & match in mind (though granted, the side panels being the same on both jerseys would make it theoretically more feasible than, say, the Spurs or Lakers).  The Wizards' gold jersey/black shorts uni, by contrast, I thought it looked great, given that that was how it was meant to look.  The Harlem Globetrotters wouldn't look the same if they dropped their striped shorts in favor of blue ones.

I figure one thing, if the Brewers walked out of the dugout in blue pants, it would look out of place, like the real team overslept and they had to throw some fans onto the field to hold down the fort for a few innings.  And then there was that white cap the Red Sox wore for one game...mention that, and you'll get reactions that would make you think they'd worn a TATC uniform instead of simply a different cap with their normal home whites.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I think the packers would look just fine in mono green, as long as the pants had normal stripes like their yellow ones. The stripes and the helmet are enough non-green elements to avoid it looking too dark. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I personally believe monochrome can look good in football when paired with the right socks and good striping patterns.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived