Kentucky Wildcat Mascot: Now with version 3

adam__cain

I am a UK fan, and probably one of the few that likes the new alternate wildcat logo. In my head I had been kicking around the idea of this concept for a while. 

I always thought Kentucky should have one of those old school sailor-type mascots. So I tried to combine this:

67gE3n0.png

and the image from a shirt I had when I was a kid. This one:

q8TsTC5.jpg

I’d say look at some of @hettinger_rl‘s work, he’s a master of working on projects like this. Also look at a lot of the mascot logos from the era, specifically like BYU or LSU/Auburn/Clemson/Mizzou or something to figure out what are more feline features for this type of thing. The main thing that’s getting me is the eye. Just look at the eyes on other mascot logos of he era, and all of them pretty much look the same. If you’re trying to do something like this, look no further than that eye.

4 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

I’d say look at some of @hettinger_rl‘s work, he’s a master of working on projects like this. Also look at a lot of the mascot logos from the era, specifically like BYU or LSU/Auburn/Clemson/Mizzou or something to figure out what are more feline features for this type of thing. The main thing that’s getting me is the eye. Just look at the eyes on other mascot logos of he era, and all of them pretty much look the same. If you’re trying to do something like this, look no further than that eye.

Thanks. I will go back and take a look at those. I am working on this from another point of view as well. I will upload that one, once it's a little closer to being done. 

Here's the latest version. Still not perfect, but I'm much happier with the way this one turned out. Thanks to @Htown1141 for some sound advice. I wanted to make sure it wasn't a direct rip of those old tiger/cougar logos, so I added the facial hair. (Not sure what you call the extra fur around the face.) I also added more lynx-like ears.  Let me know what you think....

PN7D47u.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

If you haven't already, I'd draw draw draw this out first before using digital tools. I know it can seem harder and more time consuming, but I've found that the more time I spend with pencil and paper - the less time it takes to get it right digitally.

I can see that you definitely know what look you're going for and if you're worried about it looking too much like this:

mad_hatters1_1800x323.jpg?w=742

Don't worry about it. If this is the look you're going for then make yours a near copy in your first drawings and tweak and fix things until you've made it your own. here is a good example:

panthers.gif

It's by Matt Kauzlarich of Studio 1344. We pay homage to those Arthur Evans logos and make them relevant again.

Here are a couple other resources:

http://nicschultz.com/the-mad-hatter-logos/

https://www.oxy.edu/magazine/winter-2013/multiple-personalities

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

4 minutes ago, hettinger_rl said:

If you haven't already, I'd draw draw draw this out first before using digital tools. I know it can seem harder and more time consuming, but I've found that the more time I spend with pencil and paper - the less time it takes to get it right digitally.

I can see that you definitely know what look you're going for and if you're worried about it looking too much like this:

mad_hatters1_1800x323.jpg?w=742

Don't worry about it. If this is the look you're going for then make yours a near copy in your first drawings and tweak and fix things until you've made it your own. here is a good example:

panthers.gif

It's by Matt Kauzlarich of Studio 1344. We pay homage to those Arthur Evans logos and make them relevant again.

Here are a couple other resources:

http://nicschultz.com/the-mad-hatter-logos/

https://www.oxy.edu/magazine/winter-2013/multiple-personalities

Thanks for this. I didn't want it to seem like a direct rip, and I felt it should be a little bit different because a lynx/wildcat has a much different look than a tiger/cougar. The pencil and paper idea is good advice. I will literally take this back to the drawing board. 

15 minutes ago, adam__cain said:

Thanks for this. I didn't want it to seem like a direct rip, and I felt it should be a little bit different because a lynx/wildcat has a much different look than a tiger/cougar. The pencil and paper idea is good advice. I will literally take this back to the drawing board. 

14 minutes ago, adam__cain said:

I guess the Kansas State one is the most relevant because it's actually a wildcat....

Right, there are differences, but (just like you've started to do) take the distinguishing features of the wildcat and add them in.

Not sure if you've seen these:

b40ba0d56a3c898327bb3c31565bdc4b.jpg2494567_0.jpgmJIjo4jf7Ls8LpXSz2YMe-g.jpg

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

On 11/14/2018 at 10:08 PM, hettinger_rl said:

Right, there are differences, but (just like you've started to do) take the distinguishing features of the wildcat and add them in.

Not sure if you've seen these:

b40ba0d56a3c898327bb3c31565bdc4b.jpg2494567_0.jpgmJIjo4jf7Ls8LpXSz2YMe-g.jpg

I hadn't seen top left, but this is a great place to start. Thanks again!

Archived