2018/19 College Hockey

Section30

I thought this could be an interesting thread and I haven't seen anyone make one for this season.

With the season just starting I thought I'd start things out with my team, Bemidji State, who upset #13 ranked North Dakota in their regular season opener at home. They travel to Grand Forks tonight to finish the home and home series.

Minnesota teams actually went unbeaten last night with Mankato beating BU, Duluth beating Tech, and St. Cloud beating Fairbanks.

I'm interested to hear who here follows college hockey and to possibly get a good thread going here. Who are your team(s), how'd they do?

Being that I was close to Omaha made me a fan of the Mavericks despite the fact that I understood why they wanted to make hockey the bell weather cow for their move to D-1.

This weekend was the season opener for them (After taking down Manitoba in an exhibition game) as they went east to play Union. Friday night saw a 3-3 tie while Union won on Saturday 5-4. Next up is the home opener with Notre Dame.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what happens and hopefully, Omaha reaches the tournament.

29 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Being that I was close to Omaha made me a fan of the Mavericks despite the fact that I understood why they wanted to make hockey the bell weather cow for their move to D-1.

This weekend was the season opener for them (After taking down Manitoba in an exhibition game) as they went east to play Union. Friday night saw a 3-3 tie while Union won on Saturday 5-4. Next up is the home opener with Notre Dame.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what happens and hopefully, Omaha reaches the tournament.

Mavs have a tough schedule as always but I like where Gabinet has them. We'll probably end up middle of the conference but as long as we do well playing in the conference tournament for once I'd be happy. An NCAA tournament appearance seems like a long shot this year but still a possibility.

Weird seeing Ohio State #1 at any point in a college hockey ranking. Will enjoy it as long as it lasts. I hope it translates to some better attendance numbers in their massive arena and maybe gets some more mobilization on a hockey specific arena for the men's and women's teams. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Weird seeing Ohio State #1 at any point in a college hockey ranking. Will enjoy it as long as it lasts. I hope it translates to some better attendance numbers in their massive arena and maybe gets some more mobilization on a hockey specific arena for the men's and women's teams. 

It still looks weird to me seeing them up so high in the rankings, I think this is a perfect example of how the conference realignment a few years back really altered the look of the league. With teams like Ohio State and Penn State becoming powers while teams like Maine and New Hampshire have seemingly dropped off the map after being powers for so long.

Meanwhile in GOD'S CONFERENCE (ECAC PAWWWLLLLL), I'm still baffled by the fact that [/adjusts glasses] we're talking National Title Contender Princeton.

I mean, all well and good as I have a soft spot for the Tigers even as a Cornell/UNH fan (refer to a tweetstorm I had Friday night on my choice of college hockey teams), but it's still odd.

And on the women's end, well, Syracuse is back to losing to Mercyhurst. God I can't wait for the Orange to finally beat them in the CHA Championship one year

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I think aesthetically for me it's nice seeing schools that are division one in all sports playing each other in hockey just because of the familiarity with the schools but it is nice to see colleges you may not know if it wasn't for hockey. Also, there are definitely schools in Ohio that could have division hockey programs. Would be really cool to see the MAC have hockey 

13 hours ago, Section30 said:

It still looks weird to me seeing them up so high in the rankings, I think this is a perfect example of how the conference realignment a few years back really altered the look of the league. With teams like Ohio State and Penn State becoming powers while teams like Maine and New Hampshire have seemingly dropped off the map after being powers for so long.

Maine has not been a power for like 20 years? After Sean Walsh's death they have never really been the same.

6 hours ago, lilben777 said:

Maine has not been a power for like 20 years? After Sean Walsh's death they have never really been the same.

Maine has been to the frozen 4 five times since the turn of the century, the latest coming in 2007 and they have only made the tourney one time since then in 2012. I guess it's been longer than I realized since they've been a power, but still, to drop so far in a decade is bizarre.

20 hours ago, Cab24fan said:

I think aesthetically for me it's nice seeing schools that are division one in all sports playing each other in hockey just because of the familiarity with the schools but it is nice to see colleges you may not know if it wasn't for hockey. Also, there are definitely schools in Ohio that could have division hockey programs. Would be really cool to see the MAC have hockey 

Kent State still plays club hockey but I can't think of anyone else that does, maybe Ohio and Toledo?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yes both do, as well as Akron. Eastern Michigan and Buffalo are other MAC schools with a team. Very surprised Toledo doesn't have team considering the town is hockey crazy. Although their minor league team would end up serving that necessity I guess. 

When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all! Looking forward to a better year than last, no doubt that Granato has this team on the right path.

Absolutely loved seeing the Badgers sweep BC out of town last weekend; remembering watching that 2010 final in person at Ford Field still stings. 

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

23 hours ago, MiK said:

When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all! Looking forward to a better year than last, no doubt that Granato has this team on the right path.

Absolutely loved seeing the Badgers sweep BC out of town last weekend; remembering watching that 2010 final in person at Ford Field still stings. 

I've never personally been a Badger fan, but it just didn't feel right having Wisconsin outside of the tournament for a few years there. Things seem to have turned around which is good, a team with that much history and that is that big should be a contender.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:20 PM, Section30 said:

Maine has been to the frozen 4 five times since the turn of the century, the latest coming in 2007 and they have only made the tourney one time since then in 2012. I guess it's been longer than I realized since they've been a power, but still, to drop so far in a decade is bizarre.

It's because the University of Maine isn't putting any money into athletics anymore. The athletics facilities are in desperate need of upgrades if they're going to compete in the recruiting game, but the money just isn't there.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 10/16/2018 at 6:52 PM, MiK said:

BC has a history of giving the Badgers a lot of problems (admittedly, that's particularly true in the 1990s and early 2000s, so not really relevant).  It was nice to see that sweep.

I do think things are looking up but I would guess it's going to be a couple of years before their back in the NCAA tourney.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

As a UMass Lowell alum, I definitely follow that team. I'll say that I'm more nervous going into this year for the team's success than I have been in the past few years. They split with RIT and almost lost to Acadia in an exhibition. They haven't had the same quality of goalie since Carter Hutton and then Connor Hellebuyck left. Tyler Wall had a great freshman year, but has fallen off since then.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

On 10/18/2018 at 11:22 AM, OnWis97 said:

BC has a history of giving the Badgers a lot of problems (admittedly, that's particularly true in the 1990s and early 2000s, so not really relevant).  It was nice to see that sweep.

I do think things are looking up but I would guess it's going to be a couple of years before their back in the NCAA tourney.

Speaking of BC, uh, what the :censored: happened to that program? They haven't won any of their last 20 non-conference games.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived