What is the rarest color in sports?

Quillz

Baseball has only one predominately green team. But green is pretty common in football, basketball, hockey, etc. Brown is another color that I don't see too often at the professional level, but a lot of college teams will use it.

What is the rarest color in sports? Not counting one-off promotions or throwbacks. I'm talking day-to-day color schemes. Would it be pink?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Baseball has only one predominately green team. But green is pretty common in football, basketball, hockey, etc. Brown is another color that I don't see too often at the professional level, but a lot of college teams will use it.

What is the rarest color in sports? Not counting one-off promotions or throwbacks. I'm talking day-to-day color schemes. Would it be pink?

It’s got to be. The only other one that came to mind was purple. 

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

It’s got to be. The only other one that came to mind was purple. 

I was thinking purple, too. But you've got the Rockies, the Lakers, the Vikings, the Kings (for a time). It's rare, but still seen across many of the big leagues.

5 minutes ago, dont care said:

Pink, it’s used some internationally, but it’s far and few between, purple and brown have to be next, with green and then orange bringing up the bottom 5 used colors

How rare are green and orange? I feel like I've seen a lot of international teams using green. Even orange isn't as rare as I once thought.

9 minutes ago, Quillz said:

How rare are green and orange? I feel like I've seen a lot of international teams using green. Even orange isn't as rare as I once thought.

When compared to blue, red, white, black, and yellow, it’s not even close, especially since a lot of the times orange and green are used as accent colors, or only used on alternates versus the others which a far more likely to be base colors

Maroon/Burgundy/Dark Red whatever you want to call it is a strong, attractive, wearable color that isn't heavily used at the pro level, but should be. It might be my favorite color. In the highest leagues in north America it's only used by the following teams:

NBA: Cavs

MLS: Rapids

NHL: Avalanche, maybe the Coyotes depending on who you ask, but I wouldn't count them. 

NFL: Redskins

MLB: nobody, which is why the Phillies should go back to it. The Dbacks were close with their 2007 unis, but stopped a few shades light. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Maroon/Burgundy/Dark Red whatever you want to call it is a strong, attractive, wearable color that isn't heavily used at the pro level, but should be. It might be my favorite color. In the highest leagues in north America it's only used by the following teams:

NBA: Cavs

MLS: Rapids

NHL: Avalanche, maybe the Coyotes depending on who you ask, but I wouldn't count them. 

NFL: Redskins

MLB: nobody, which is why the Phillies should go back to it. The Dbacks were close with their 2007 unis, but stopped a few shades light. 

I agree with this.  I think the colors below look great on a baseball uniform:

Image result for usc trojans baseball

Image result for arizona state baseballImage result for arizona state Jeff Larish

90758391980.gif

3 hours ago, dont care said:

Pink, it’s used some internationally, but it’s far and few between, purple and brown have to be next, with green and then orange bringing up the bottom 5 used colors

Orange as a primary is rare, unless paired with black (Flyers, Bengals, Orioles) but it is commonly paired and slapped onto blue/purple identities (Thunder, Knicks, Suns, Bears, Broncos (primary now?), Mets, Tigers, Astros). 

Purple is fairly rare, followed by green, but Brown is FAR more rare. In pro sports we have one current use of brown. In college there are three teams I can think of (Wyoming, BGSU, Tufts), and none are P5.

Purple, in comparison: Lakers, Suns, Kings, Rockies, Vikings, Ravens, Clemson, TCU, Northwestern, Kansas State, Washington, and that's what I could think of.

19 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Purple is fairly rare, followed by green, but Brown is FAR more rare. In pro sports we have one current use of brown. In college there are three teams I can think of (Wyoming, BGSU, Tufts), and none are P5.

WMU kinda sorta uses brown too. Their school colors are brown and gold. However they also wear a lot of black and Vegas gold. But they're also a mid-major.

Image result for western michigan football

Image result for western michigan football

T1oYViW.png

6 hours ago, dont care said:

riley-stotts-calgary-hitmen.jpg

This is a throwback alternate and I'm of half a mind to want them to go to this full time.

IEI5Tg1.png

2 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Orange as a primary is rare, unless paired with black (Flyers, Bengals, Orioles) but it is commonly paired and slapped onto blue/purple identities (Thunder, Knicks, Suns, Bears, Broncos (primary now?), Mets, Tigers, Astros). 

Purple, in comparison: Lakers, Suns, Kings, Rockies, Vikings, Ravens, Clemson, TCU, Northwestern, Kansas State, Washington, and that's what I could think of.

I think what we posted was pretty much in agreement of each other with from rarest to most common being; pink, brown, purple, green, then orange

11 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I'm of half a mind to want them to go to this full time.

The Hitmen absolutely should be in pink full time. I think it should be more of a hot pink, but I don't think there are pantone swatches for Bret Hart's old tights.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, Sabres7200 said:

What about a yellow-green like the Brampton Battalion use? They're the only team I can think of that uses a color in that range full-time.

Hodgson_Brampton.jpg

Tulane University (supposedly with school colors of Olive Green and Sky Blue), take note. 

THAT military shade is "Olive Green" (a.k.a. 'olive drab').

THIS is not:

usa_today_9546489.0.jpg

It is what it is.

Archived