What is the rarest color in sports?

Quillz

You see silver/grey used a lot in sports, but mostly as secondary colors or on an away baseball uniform to differentiate oneself from the home team, but as far as I know, the only team that wears grey as their main color is Minnesota United FC.

1-F15-AB66-EB38-48-A5-9-B8-C-45-AE92-EF3

If Im wrong, let me know.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BigRed618 said:

You see silver/grey used a lot in sports, but mostly as secondary colors or on an away baseball uniform to differentiate oneself from the home team, but as far as I know, the only team that wears grey as their main color is Minnesota United FC.

1-F15-AB66-EB38-48-A5-9-B8-C-45-AE92-EF3

If Im wrong, let me know.

Theirs is a bit darker, but the Vegas Golden Knights also wear grey as a main color.

Hg5VQrJ.jpg

14 hours ago, Echo said:

Also there are two teams in the Alliance of American Football who use grey as a primary color.  The Salt Lake Stallions wear light grey, and the San Diego Fleet wear a dark grey jersey and light grey pants.

0qJj7OH.jpg

npxei1P.jpg

That "dark grey" looks more like steel blue to me.

On 2/14/2019 at 3:39 AM, Discrimihater said:

In the Australian Football League, Green has been very rarely worn.  The Fremantle Dockers are the only club in the league that has ever used green as one of their colors. 

The only jumper I could find with green was the Tasmanian State of Origin jumper worn from 1982 to 1993.

Tas-1982.gif

I was having the thought the other day that I don't recall pro teams or many major colleges that use royal blue and yellow. Those were the colors of my high school, and it seems like that just does not fit in pro sports.

The only colleges I can think of off the top of my head that use royal blue and yellow are UC Riverside and smaller schools Limestone College and Lander University. I may just be completely having a brain fart.

Edit: Now that I looked it up, I totally forgot about the Rams and Pitt throwbacks. But other than that, you don't see the colors much.

300px-CarolinaColiseum.jpg

2 hours ago, KJHillis said:

I was having the thought the other day that I don't recall pro teams or many major colleges that use royal blue and yellow. Those were the colors of my high school, and it seems like that just does not fit in pro sports.

The only colleges I can think of off the top of my head that use royal blue and yellow are UC Riverside and smaller schools Limestone College and Lander University. I may just be completely having a brain fart.

Edit: Now that I looked it up, I totally forgot about the Rams and Pitt throwbacks. But other than that, you don't see the colors much.

Blues, brewers, the grizzlies use to.

7 hours ago, dont care said:

The Blues still do. The Brewers only do as a throwback. Seems like it used to be more popular back in the day, as the pre-1993 Mariners had that scheme too, and the Denver Nuggets at times (including the last rainbow set), and the Buffalo Sabres before the Buffaslug era. I think the Sabres are navy blue and yellow now. Speaking of which...Navy. In some applications they use metallic gold but I've seen them use yellow as an accent color before. But that's not with royal blue.

When did the Grizzlies use royal blue? IIRC, they have been navy blue, smoke blue, and yellow since dumping their Vancouver color scheme.

I'm really hoping the Rams make royal and yellow their official, full-time color scheme again in 2020.

13 hours ago, KJHillis said:

11 hours ago, dont care said:

4 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

The Blues still do. The Brewers only do as a throwback. Seems like it used to be more popular back in the day, as the pre-1993 Mariners had that scheme too, and the Denver Nuggets at times (including the last rainbow set), and the Buffalo Sabres before the Buffaslug era.... 

Ummm..

.cringe-31226.jpg

The problem with royal blue in general is that you can't sell as much non-jersey merchandise as you can with a darker (navy) blue.  Think polo shirts, jackets, hats etc. That's one reason why the relatively recently developed Houston Texans used a darker navy blue rather than the same blue that's on the Texas flag from which it is inspired... Think of all the teams that went from a royal blue to a different, often darker shade: Broncos, Patriots, Seahawks, Edmonton Oilers, Washington Bullets/Wizards, original Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets, Milwaukee Brewers, Pitt, BYU, Buffalo Sabres. 

Another one is the Indiana Pacers who were royal and yellow before they darkened their blue to navy:

pacers_fleming_87.jpg s-l1600MUTF93XY_clipped_rev_1.jpeg?v=148

Old Mariners, both the original trident M and the late 80s/early 90s "M's" set were blue and yellow; they darkened the blue to navy and swapped seafoam green and silver for the yellow:

Ichiro-in-Mariners-Throwback-Uniform-bas ichiro110908b.jpg

Old Rochester Lancers, NASL 1970s:

1_d83006813141192837709d24bdf7e3eb.jpg

Still some colleges wear it-- University of Delaware Blue Hens:

PNICYZNNDRZGSVG.20180605194035.jpg

and the San Jose State Spartans:

David-Fales-San-Jose-State.jpg

It is what it is.

1 hour ago, B-Rich said:

Ummm..

.cringe-31226.jpg

The problem with royal blue in general is that you can't sell as much non-jersey merchandise as you can with a darker (navy) blue.  Think polo shirts, jackets, hats etc. That's one reason why the relatively recently developed Houston Texans used a darker navy blue rather than the same blue that's on the Texas flag from which it is inspired... Think of all the teams that went from a royal blue to a different, often darker shade: Broncos, Patriots, Seahawks, Edmonton Oilers, Washington Bullets/Wizards, original Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets, Milwaukee Brewers, Pitt, BYU, Buffalo Sabres. 

Another one is the Indiana Pacers who were royal and yellow before they darkened their blue to navy:

pacers_fleming_87.jpg s-l1600MUTF93XY_clipped_rev_1.jpeg?v=148

Old Mariners, both the original trident M and the late 80s/early 90s "M's" set were blue and yellow; they darkened the blue to navy and swapped seafoam green and silver for the yellow:

Ichiro-in-Mariners-Throwback-Uniform-bas ichiro110908b.jpg

Old Rochester Lancers, NASL 1970s:

1_d83006813141192837709d24bdf7e3eb.jpg

Still some colleges wear it-- University of Delaware Blue Hens:

PNICYZNNDRZGSVG.20180605194035.jpg

and the San Jose State Spartans:

David-Fales-San-Jose-State.jpg

So it's not as popular as it was, Warriors notwithstanding.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Not that they can’t be done, just that navy is a more popular color for fan gear.

I still don't understand or better said I don't see where that assumption is coming from. Navy sells better than royal blue? I don't feel like the Dodgers or Cubs don't sell enough because they use royal as opposed to navy. If the team is popular they'll sell plenty regardless of color and especially with a common color such as royal blue. I don't think there's a "problem" with royal blue. (And I'm using baseball as my example because it's what I know)

You know what's a rare scheme?  Royal blue and metallic gold.  After Tulsa, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, and the old London Monarchs, I'm stumped.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived