Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Does anybody know what the actual deadline was to submit logo and uniform changes to MLB for the 2019 season?

I don’t believe the MLB has a hard deadline. More there is a long multi year process from beginning where you request the change and then submit in designs and uniforms throughout for approval until you get to the finished project.

There has to be a hard deadline for the entire process (including any league approvals) to be completed so that manufacturers can start readying merchandise and advertising partners can start updating their graphics and signs, which could take quite a while.  I'd bet $$$ that there's Bud Light or Miller LIght signs somewhere with the new logo on them just ready to go.  The "process" might kick off two years in advance (or whatever MLB's lead time is... I think the two years is NFL) but has to wrap up and be final a certan number of months prior to the start of the next season - maybe even 8-12.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Does anybody know what the actual deadline was to submit logo and uniform changes to MLB for the 2019 season?

I've often heard May of the year before but I'm starting to believe that has changed. Not that it can't happen quicker but the Marlins ownership change happened in October 2017 and a year later they're already unveiling their new stuff when some teams have said their rebrand process took over two years. 

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I've often heard May of the year before but I'm starting to believe that has changed. Not that it can't happen quicker but the Marlins ownership change happened in October 2017 and a year later they're already unveiling their new stuff when some teams have said their rebrand process took over two years. 

I mean, it was widely assumed for a while that the new ownership group was taking over since the ASG atleast. Maybe it's possible Loria started the rebrand process and Jeter and co finished it off. I'm sure whoever bought the team could have just stopped the rebrand and kept the orange stuff if they wanted to.

I got a feeling Loria got the ball rolling, and Jeter/Sherman brought it home.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

2 minutes ago, tubby34 said:

I mean, it was widely assumed for a while that the new ownership group was taking over since the ASG atleast. Maybe it's possible Loria started the rebrand process and Jeter and co finished it off. I'm sure whoever bought the team could have just stopped the rebrand and kept the orange stuff if they wanted to.

I got a feeling Loria got the ball rolling, and Jeter/Sherman brought it home.

There's almost no way this is the way it went down. The whole point of the Marlins rebranding is for Jeter to create an image for the team that it completely detached from the Loria era... so why would he just continue a rebrand started by Loria? And, for that matter, why would Loria even begin a rebrand knowing he was on the way out? Loria created the "current" Miami rebrand so in his mind he would have kept that look forever and wouldn't want to begin the process of moving away from that brand.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

There's almost no way this is the way it went down. The whole point of the Marlins rebranding is for Jeter to create an image for the team that it completely detached from the Loria era... so why would he just continue a rebrand started by Loria? And, for that matter, why would Loria even begin a rebrand knowing he was on the way out? Loria created the "current" Miami rebrand so in his mind he would have kept that look forever and wouldn't want to begin the process of moving away from that brand.

Here me out on this... it's kind of out there...

Loria started the process.... on behalf of Jeter and at his request, with Jeter's art direction and vision. If the sale fell through, it could have all just been trashed.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

1 minute ago, tubby34 said:

Loria started the process.... on behalf of Jeter and at his request, with Jeter's art direction and vision. If the sale fell through, it could have all just been trashed.

Loria doesn't strike me as the guy that would say "Hey, let me get this started for you, Mr. Hopeful Buyer."

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, tubby34 said:

I'm listening but that seems far fetched. There's no way Loria was involved in this rebrand. If anything I'd be more likely to believe that Jeter started the process with artists/designers privately before making the purchase but even that seems unlikely as he'd have been wasting time and money if the sale didn't happen. 

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Loria doesn't strike me as the guy that would say "Hey, let me get this started for you, Mr. Hopeful Buyer."

It may have been a condition in the negotiations if things looks promising for a sale...

36 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

It may have been a condition in the negotiations if things looks promising for a sale...

Maybe.

Keep in mind they had like 8 fan surveys in April and May 2017 (edit I mean 2018) about logos and uniforms.

33 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Maybe.

Keep in mind they had like 8 fan surveys in April and May 2017 about logos and uniforms.

At the same time, the Jeter group won the right to buy the team at the end of April but Jeb Bush dropped out at the end of May.  I doubt they'd already be sending surveys for the group to rebrand before they even had the set group financially committed.  The sale wasn't officially approved until the end of September.

VmWIn6B.png

13 minutes ago, LMU said:

At the same time, the Jeter group won the right to buy the team at the end of April but Jeb Bush dropped out at the end of May.  I doubt they'd already be sending surveys for the group to rebrand before they even had the set group financially committed.  The sale wasn't officially approved until the end of September.

Yeah I meant to say April and May 2018. My apologies. Right around the announcement of the teal uniforms, it seemed like every week was a survey about something branding related.

I wonder if the deadline applies to minor uniform changes. Like the Marlins randomly shrinking their cap logo this season seemed like something that the new ownership probably got approved pretty late. Maybe since the logo itself didn't change and it was the size of it maybe that was a quick change because it seemed more like a manufacturing change and not a design change.

I asked about the MLB deadline precisely because I remember the Marlins beginning their Dimelo campaign in March. According to my memory, they begin requesting fan opinions on uniform designs (specific things like wordmark style, what to emphasize in the brand, etc.) by around April or so. Taking this timeline into account, I would say that there's no way they could have had logo and uniform designs submitted to MLB by May.

After gathering and analyzing the data from the surveys, wouldn't it take several months to have logo/uniform designs drafted, finalized, and approved?

I am just trying to make sense of the timeline if the Marlins were indeed listening to what fans had to say. Marlins Park had Dimelo booths where fans could record messages about new ideas for improving the fan experience. One would have to guess that whoever was viewing those videos (one article mentioned it was Jeter himself) probably got an earful about wanting to return to teal as a primary color.

Archived