Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I asked about the MLB deadline precisely because I remember the Marlins beginning their Dimelo campaign in March. According to my memory, they begin requesting fan opinions on uniform designs (specific things like wordmark style, what to emphasize in the brand, etc.) by around April or so. Taking this timeline into account, I would say that there's no way they could have had logo and uniform designs submitted to MLB by May.

After gathering and analyzing the data from the surveys, wouldn't it take several months to have logo/uniform designs drafted, finalized, and approved?

Several months?  Not necessarily.  If they made it a real focus, both on the part of the team and the designer.

In my experience, you can run through the design phase of a corporate re-branding in a few weeks.  Especially if you're willing to pay the designer enough to make it their only project, and if the company has a really clear idea of who's making the decision.  All of the extended processes I've had to take part in were elongated because the corporate client had to go through several levels of bureaucratic approval.  If the decisions came down to Jeter and a small group of partners, that would significantly expedite it. 

They could have started the process, used the fan feedback to determine if they were on the right track, and wrap it up pretty quickly.  It may be unusual, but it does happen.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Several months?  Not necessarily.  If they made it a real focus, both on the part of the team and the designer.

In my experience, you can run through the design phase of a corporate re-branding in a few weeks.  Especially if you're willing to pay the designer enough to make it their only project, and if the company has a really clear idea of who's making the decision.  All of the extended processes I've had to take part in were elongated because the corporate client had to go through several levels of bureaucratic approval.  If the decisions came down to Jeter and a small group of partners, that would significantly expedite it. 

They could have started the process, used the fan feedback to determine if they were on the right track, and wrap it up pretty quickly.  It may be unusual, but it does happen.

I'm more insinuating that the Dimelo website didn't really seem to stop soliciting feedback on logos/uniforms until late April or early May (I can't remember exactly). Even if what you say is correct, I really cannot imagine them having something ready for MLB any earlier than June. And I would assume MLB has its only bureaucracy and might possibly advise teams to revise and resubmit. And this is all assuming that the Marlins weren't waiting until the June throwback weekend to test the fanbase's enthusiasm for teal. Or take into account the feedback they would have been gathering from the Dimelo video booths over the course of the season.

So the Marlins probably could have made an August deadline. But if they were truly valuing fan input, I don't see any scenario where they could have made a May deadline even with a modest grace period.

Of course this is all conjecture, but I'm basing it largely on the timing of their fan outreach.

I'm sure Jeter and Co had an idea of where they wanted to go with colors and overhauling the the team all year. The colors they chose are iconic "Miami" colors and especially with  the popularity was the Miami Vice Heat Jerseys last year they knew people would be open to it. 

Like @Gothamite said, its not going to (although it can) take months to create a logo. It can take months to develop the brand, but that'll evolve over years, like how the Marlins had the black M initially and it changed its focus to more white, blue, orange, yellow in the latter years. 

Going back to teal would have been tough because it'll be over shadowed by the original set. The new black, blue, pink (coral/salmon?) establishes a fresh new identity that screams the city more then the rainbow they had recently. 

MLB probably gave them some lee way in terms of a deadline because of the new ownership, being the Marlins and a failed recent rebrand. 

4 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I'm more insinuating that the Dimelo website didn't really seem to stop soliciting feedback on logos/uniforms until late April or early May (I can't remember exactly). Even if what you say is correct, I really cannot imagine them having something ready for MLB any earlier than June. And I would assume MLB has its only bureaucracy and might possibly advise teams to revise and resubmit.

That’s presuming that they weren’t working with MLB Properties throughout the process. Because if they were, then the bureaucracy would have been taken care of along the line.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That’s presuming that they weren’t working with MLB Properties throughout the process. Because if they were, then the bureaucracy would have been taken care of along the line.

Is it possible they already had a number of designs layed out to choose from, and the Dimelo survey questions were based off of those? Similar to the Padres' new uniform selection process going on this year as well. 

20 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Is it possible they already had a number of designs layed out to choose from, and the Dimelo survey questions were based off of those? Similar to the Padres new uniform selection process going this year as well. 

That wouldn’t surprise me at all.

We think of surveys and feedback as a starting point of the process, but they can also be used to decide direction or courses of action during it as well.  Or to judge how they’re doing so far. 

10 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Marlins Park had Dimelo booths where fans could record messages about new ideas for improving the fan experience. One would have to guess that whoever was viewing those videos (one article mentioned it was Jeter himself) probably got an earful about wanting to return to teal as a primary color.

062.jpg?w=1300

You Marlins fans don't know what you want! That's why you're still Marlins fans! Because you're stupid.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

Going back to teal would have been tough because it'll be over shadowed by the original set. The new black, blue, pink (coral/salmon?) establishes a fresh new identity that screams the city more then the rainbow they had recently. 

This is perfectly said. I don't think reverting to teal is the best option even though so many people think it is. If anything it's just the easiest option. 

6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This is perfectly said. I don't think reverting to teal is the best option even though so many people think it is. If anything it's just the easiest option. 

Although I disagree, I can understand this sentiment. However, I would add that I don't think that the Marlins so clearly being influenced by the color schemes of the new MLS team and the Heat alternates is an exceptionally fresh identity overall. Perhaps in the context of Marlins branding only it is but at this point it feels like they are just following trends rather than establishing something genuinely new. To Loria's credit, the current set is at least incredibly original, especially for MLB!

6 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Although I disagree, I can understand this sentiment. However, I would add that I don't think that the Marlins so clearly being influenced by the color schemes of the new MLS team and the Heat alternates is an exceptionally fresh identity overall. Perhaps in the context of Marlins branding only it is but at this point it feels like they are just following trends rather than establishing something genuinely new. To Loria's credit, the current set is at least incredibly original, especially for MLB!

I do agree that the Miami Vice idea isn't unique but it's never been done in baseball before so I think it will stand out there, in a positive way. In MLB it's not following any trend is very new there. I could be wrong though.

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Hmm.  Not seeing that.

I've definitely heard point point out that both teams (and the Heat) are channeling the Miami Vice look through the use of pink/salmon. When I first saw the leaked Marlins logo, I actually was first reminded of MLS before the Heat.

At any rate, I certainly feel like the Marlins are following a recent "trend" of Miami area sports branding and not doing something incredibly original or unique.

8 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I do agree that the Miami Vice idea isn't unique but it's never been done in baseball before so I think it will stand out there, in a positive way. In MLB it's not following any trend is very new there. I could be wrong though.

Like I say, it's new for MLB. But I feel like the reaction I'm seeing from South Florida residents is more along the lines of "hey, isn't that like what the Heat are doing?"

That's not generally the reaction you want from a branding.

1 minute ago, Marlins93 said:

I certainly feel like the Marlins are following a recent "trend" of Miami area sports branding and not doing something incredibly original or unique.

Even if that's true, I'm not sure why it's a bad thing.  "Incredibly original" is not a virtue in and of itself.  This seems distinct enough from Inter Miami (especially if they follow through with a pink jersey) that I don't think the two brands are ever gong to be confused.

17 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Like I say, it's new for MLB. But I feel like the reaction I'm seeing from South Florida residents is more along the lines of "hey, isn't that like what the Heat are doing?"

That's not generally the reaction you want from a branding.

May I direct your attention north towards Pittsburgh?

I always wonder though if Pittsburgh is the exception that proves the rule, as far as that idea goes. I can see why it's probably undesirable for the suits, e.g. no one's going to buy a Penguins hat if they can just wear a Steelers or Pirates hat to the arena and stay on team colors. (Also wonder if Pittsburgh being a great sports town and Miami...being less of one would be a factor in these calculations.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I think that's a big part: you can rely on Pittsburgh fans to buy stuff for all the teams they like, even if the colors are the same. And even so, going to a Penguins game dressed for a Pirates game would make you look like a knob.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived