Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

2 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Like I say, it's new for MLB. But I feel like the reaction I'm seeing from South Florida residents is more along the lines of "hey, isn't that like what the Heat are doing?"

That's not generally the reaction you want from a branding.

I don't think the Marlins are going to focus on pink too much, it'll probably be an accent color.

We should find out next week tho... so I've heard through the grape vine. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Digby said:

I always wonder though if Pittsburgh is the exception that proves the rule, as far as that idea goes. I can see why it's probably undesirable for the suits, e.g. no one's going to buy a Penguins hat if they can just wear a Steelers or Pirates hat to the arena and stay on team colors.

I dunno.  I know plenty of people who have both Mets and Islanders hats in their closets.

It's also how you treat the colors, and the respective shades.  The Seahawks’ and Sounders’ color schemes have about the same relation to each other that Inter Miami and the Marlins do, if the leak is to be believed.  I somehow doubt that's hurting the Sounders' merchandise sales.

The Inter Miami colors are pink and black, the Marlins colors are blue black and bright red. They're not identical and if the Marlins emphasize blue its basically an entirely different color scheme especially taking into account the differences in the pinks. The Marlins color is almost not even pink. 

On 11/1/2018 at 12:56 PM, WSU151 said:

Loria doesn't strike me as the guy that would say "Hey, let me get this started for you, Mr. Hopeful Buyer."

Loria hand picked Jeter to be his successor, heck- Jeter even toured the Stadium the year before he retired and he was rumored all along to be interested in this team.
Loria coveted Jeter as an Expos owner and was willing to trade Vladimir Guerrero for him at one point, and fancied himself a Yankee fan (thats why there was a 2003 F alternate jersey).

Besides, if someone is buying your team for 1.2 billion and has an idea that they want to start, you make a phone call and say "Talk to so and so, if he buys the team he'll want a new brand package- don't make any changes but get the ball rolling".

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

On 11/2/2018 at 2:01 PM, Gothamite said:

Even if that's true, I'm not sure why it's a bad thing.  "Incredibly original" is not a virtue in and of itself.  This seems distinct enough from Inter Miami (especially if they follow through with a pink jersey) that I don't think the two brands are ever gong to be confused.

It's potentially a bad thing when you consider how little South Florida cares about the Marlins. Generally Miami places the Marlins on the lower echelon of sporting entertainment options, so I think that a branding that runs the risk of being derivative undermines the efforts of both the previous and current ownership groups to loudly telegraph the Marlins presence. I have always considered distinctiveness to be an important characteristic of any successful branding and that might work so well if the first reaction to seeing the new logo is "oh, it's like what the Heat are doing." And I've seen that reaction A LOT on social media. I just wish the Marlins were striving for something more timeless than just going along with a trend. So, I wouldn't say that brand confusion is the issue here; it's more that the Marlins need something that stands out more (a mostly black scheme won't cut it) that generates enough excitement to have the locals come out to Marlins Park for more than just the WBC.

23 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The Inter Miami colors are pink and black, the Marlins colors are blue black and bright red. They're not identical and if the Marlins emphasize blue its basically an entirely different color scheme especially taking into account the differences in the pinks. The Marlins color is almost not even pink. 

Well, for what it's worth, it was either you or someone else in this thread who pointed out that the bright red the Marlins are using is on the razor's edge of being pink. That aside, the emphasis on light blue and some kind of pinkish color in the Marlins logo certainly do seem to be reminding lots of people of the Heat and Inter Miami even if they aren't exactly the same colors.

I am not trying to say the Marlins rebranding is a total knock off, but it seems hard to deny right now that references to the Heat and Inter Miami appear to be common reactions to people seeing the logo for the first time. I feel like even if you go back many pages in this very thread people have been discussing the leaked logo within the context of the "Miami Vice" trend that those other teams have adopted.

On 11/2/2018 at 1:58 PM, Marlins93 said:

I've definitely heard point point out that both teams (and the Heat) are channeling the Miami Vice look through the use of pink/salmon. When I first saw the leaked Marlins logo, I actually was first reminded of MLS before the Heat.

At any rate, I certainly feel like the Marlins are following a recent "trend" of Miami area sports branding and not doing something incredibly original or unique.

Did you say the same when the Marlins debuted with teal like the Dolphins already wore? It wasn't looked at as "unoriginal". If anything it was looked at as original because the color was never seen in MLB before. At the same time it had a nice connection with Miami and another one of its sports team.

On 11/2/2018 at 2:01 PM, Gothamite said:

Even if that's true, I'm not sure why it's a bad thing.  "Incredibly original" is not a virtue in and of itself.  This seems distinct enough from Inter Miami (especially if they follow through with a pink jersey) that I don't think the two brands are ever gong to be confused.

On 11/2/2018 at 2:18 PM, PoppersPop said:

May I direct your attention north towards Pittsburgh?

Or DC. The predominately red, and navy color scheme is a nice connection for us DC sports fans. The Skins' colors are different, sure, but that doesn't cancel the connection with the other three teams.

DdwmnK8U8AAd6qq.jpg:large

Image result for dave martinez capitals

CFBFU6RKZY3HFBZEEMTZVIWAE4.jpg

what im surprised to see about these 4 new options is that the Brief (or chosen direction taken by the design agency) doesn't offer a new idea— it's still revolving around a marlin infused with an M, just in different styles. it's not a great combination of ideas if you ask me. you can see what they're going for, trying to fuse the relationship between the elements better in the way the fins sort of form pat of the letter or fit in its negative space, but i'd also bet that the design team feels frustrated that the execution doesn't live up to the vision— its just not quite there and i beleive its because the idea is so forced. i'd love to see something new. how about a lone marlin? or a lone M? the options are just kind of repeating the same composition mistakes as the previous logo in new ways and the only message or voice i really see in it right now it "south beach", or some sort of play off of the alternate heat uniforms. and again, thats not a great direction for this team. you know what Inter Miami really nailed in their logo? a true Miami style. it's more MiMO (Miami Modern) than Deco and it works beautifully. The Marlins seem to be struggling with who they want to be and what they want to express in an authentic, relatable manner.  

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

16 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

what im surprised to see about these 4 new options is that the Brief (or chosen direction taken by the design agency) doesn't offer a new idea— it's still revolving around a marlin infused with an M, just in different styles. it's not a great combination of ideas if you ask me. you can see what they're going for, trying to fuse the relationship between the elements better in the way the fins sort of form pat of the letter or fit in its negative space, but i'd also bet that the design team feels frustrated that the execution doesn't live up to the vision— its just not quite there and i beleive its because the idea is so forced. i'd love to see something new. how about a lone marlin? or a lone M? the options are just kind of repeating the same composition mistakes as the previous logo in new ways and the only message or voice i really see in it right now it "south beach", or some sort of play off of the alternate heat uniforms. and again, thats not a great direction for this team. you know what Inter Miami really nailed in their logo? a true Miami style. it's more MiMO (Miami Modern) than Deco and it works beautifully. The Marlins seem to be struggling with who they want to be and what they want to express in an authentic, relatable manner.  

I’m a big fan of MiMO architecture, and that would’ve been a brilliant way to go for the Marlins. They were almost there with the current logo, but you’re right about the Marlin and the M clashing.

The M is also a bit heavier where MiMO design seems a bit thinner and lighter. I wish they would take what is there and make some adjustments instead of throwing the whole thing away.

16 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

what im surprised to see about these 4 new options is that the Brief (or chosen direction taken by the design agency) doesn't offer a new idea— it's still revolving around a marlin infused with an M, just in different styles. it's not a great combination of ideas if you ask me. you can see what they're going for, trying to fuse the relationship between the elements better in the way the fins sort of form pat of the letter or fit in its negative space, but i'd also bet that the design team feels frustrated that the execution doesn't live up to the vision— its just not quite there and i beleive its because the idea is so forced.

I too like MiMO and Art Deco, which would both be fantastic options for the Marlins (the 2012-18 set came close). I get that the team wanted to preserve some semblance of branding continuity from the two previous identities ('93-'11 an '12-'18), but it's honestly not worth it. Heck, the '12-'18 logo looked fantastic without the toothpaste marlin (which clashed with the main design). Credit to @hawk36 for the design:

Miami.jpg

It's difficult to get the merger right.

i'd love to see something new. how about a lone marlin? or a lone M? the options are just kind of repeating the same composition mistakes as the previous logo in new ways and the only message or voice i really see in it right now it "south beach", or some sort of play off of the alternate heat uniforms. and again, thats not a great direction for this team. you know what Inter Miami really nailed in their logo? a true Miami style. it's more MiMO (Miami Modern) than Deco and it works beautifully. The Marlins seem to be struggling with who they want to be and what they want to express in an authentic, relatable manner.  

I agree that a lone M in the MiMO or Deco style, with a matching lettering font for the uniforms. The marlin logo would be better as a sleeve patch (a la how the A's, Rays, and Cubs handle their animal logos).

I've been going back-and-forth with the design. While I like that they're trying something new, it gets away from the Miami aesthetic that Inter Miami nailed and the '12-'18 Marlins almost nailed. A cleanup of the old look would have been a much better idea than the Hotline Miami (modern interpretation of the Miami Vice aesthetic) style. 

The drop-shadowed slab-serif numbers and plain block NOBs were yet another baffling part of the Marlins' design, right there with all the green in the park but none in the uniforms or logos. Should have been Futura for both, with the numbers beveled the same way the scripts were.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I agree with everything that's been said in the last several posts! The 2012 rebranding had some great broad concepts in mind, but the execution itself was sorely lacking. Futura was a great starting point, but they made a lot of design missteps after that.

53 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's coming... this was on the Marlins Twitter now so basically confirming the colors...

DrPaIYmWwAIkgo2.jpg:large

Clearly going for the Latin pride aspect with the rebrand slogan.

The colors are really nice (that graphic is really cool).

I just hope the overall package is on the same level.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

49 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's coming... this was on the Marlins Twitter now so basically confirming the colors...

DrPaIYmWwAIkgo2.jpg:large

Miami Marlins

Clearly going for the Latin pride aspect with the rebrand slogan.

Thats something I feel Loria never really embraced when the team re-branded in the new stadium.

The only "latin" thing in the stadium is the food corner awkwardly tucked away in left field where its easily over looked. 

Also in the first image theres block lettering (cant really tell what it says) I wonder if thats what the back of the jerseys will look like. I hope not...I've never liked the shadow above like that

5 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

Also in the first image theres block lettering (cant really tell what it says) I wonder if thats what the back of the jerseys will look like. I hope not...I've never liked the shadow above like that

I believe it's names of the smaller cities in Miami, the one in the center pretty sure it says Gables as in Coral Gables. That's one of the first things the new ownership did was embrace each town/community in Miami and the names are plastered all over the ballpark and in their marketing. They also did Neighborhood Nights this year, one for each town like Coral Gables, Wynwood, Hialeah, Kendall, etc etc. I love the idea. 

As for the letter I sure hope that's not on the jerseys but based on this communities idea I don't think it will be.

8 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The colors are really nice (that graphic is really cool).

I just hope the overall package is on the same level.

It definitely has the concept I thought the leaked logo was implying... neon lights reflecting off the night time darkness, which adds a splash of color onto the dark on the dark look. It's different but it can really work if executed properly. We should find out soon enough.

Marlins Tease New Colours, New Logo On the Way

November 5, 2018 - 14:51 PM

The Miami Marlins this morning dropped a hint for their new logo that seemed to at least confirm the colour scheme from the leak we saw last month. In case you forgot, back in October we learned the Marlins were […]

Read More...

Archived