Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

11 minutes ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

I noticed something very interesting to me. The New colors are very much like the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp. They are affiliated with the Marlins. The Shrimp's merchandise sales are very strong. I wonder if that played in to this at all.

That kinda goes back to Pensacola's merchandise success too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they are mainly playing off the Miami Vice identity that is still pretty popular. I like them going with a more vibrant neon reddish/pink. Very unique color to the sport and the Vice theme. It helps differentiate from the Heat's Vice uniforms and the new soccer team. Nostalgia is in style so why not run with it. 

1 hour ago, KGeeX5 said:

I think they are mainly playing off the Miami Vice identity that is still pretty popular. I like them going with a more vibrant neon reddish/pink. Very unique color to the sport and the Vice theme. It helps differentiate from the Heat's Vice uniforms and the new soccer team. Nostalgia is in style so why not run with it. 

Love the colors, but they just gotta execute in the entire visual identity. 

Apparently the Nola Baby Cakes merchandise sells incredibly well too for what it's worth. I'd attribute that mostly to the quirkiness/novelty of the brandings and clever marketing. If the Marlins were drawing color inspiration from anywhere, my money would be on the Heat and Inter Miami because it really shows.

The colors could potentially work well here, so fingers crossed that the execution actually pans out. Even if the full set isn't an upgrade over what they currently have, further distancing from the Loria regime is always welcome.

The thought of Loria and Samson reeling over the HR sculpture being torn down brings a massive grin to my face!

1 minute ago, mjd77 said:

And all indications show another black based identity, which is no good, IMO.

That's my worry as well, but perhaps we will get a decent solid blue alternate or BP jersey. I admit I will be pretty disappointed if the wordmark on the home white is mostly black with blue and red accents.

Someone in this thread said the colors are rumored to pop so maybe it won't be so bad.

7 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

I noticed something very interesting to me. The New colors are very much like the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp. They are affiliated with the Marlins. The Shrimp's merchandise sales are very strong. I wonder if that played in to this at all.

Oh yea,  nice.  I like the colors but not the cartoon logo.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

2 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

It’s not so bad when you consider that they’re the only black team in their division.

You know, for all the complaints I hear about the Marlins being another black team you'd think there were 20 teams that were black teams. There really aren't that many black teams when you think about it. There's only 8 and almost all pair the black with a unique secondary color. It's nothing compared to how many red and blue teams there are. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

You know, for all the complaints I hear about the Marlins being another black team you'd think there were 20 teams that were black teams. There really aren't that many black teams when you think about it. There's only 8 and almost all pair the black with a unique secondary color. It's nothing compared to how many red and blue teams there are. 

My main fear with the mostly black uniforms is if they looked like the drab 2003 era uniforms. If the new colors pop off the uniform then I'm all for it. 

2003_detail.jpg

1 hour ago, KGeeX5 said:

My main fear with the mostly black uniforms is if they looked like the drab 2003 era uniforms. If the new colors pop off the uniform then I'm all for it. 

2003_detail.jpg

I think the logo shown and the #OurColores images from the team are already more vibrant than those uniforms. It's amazing that those uniforms had a teal trim that were barely noticeable. It's as if all that silver drowned out the teal trim. So it makes me wonder if the wordmark was black with a bright trim would it pop more than what's in that pic? If so then maybe that's what we'll get now. 

Another forum member asked me to post this here- not sure of context because I'm not caught up...

The 1993 set lasted 10 seasons, the 2003 set lasted 9 seasons, the 2012 lasted 7 seasons.

By Comparison, in that time frame the NY Mets have changed jersey styles four times by my count.
The Padres have a dozen times I think (Logos and Colores) <----see what I did there?
The Jays have changed 5 times (Logos, jerseys and colours) <----see what I did there?
The Diamondbacks with a 5 year delay have changed 3 times.

It's just sports branding these days. Teams don't want to get pigeonholed into a color scheme or look because you will never make money selling new merchandise if it looks the same as the old stuff.

The Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and Cubs all feed off nostalgia and that drives their gate and merchandising sales. Teams like ourselves only see a spike when it's cool and new and different, like when we opened the park and the Orange was the number one selling hat in MLB for a few years.

This change will bring in more revenue for the new owners, but most importantly it'll show the community that its a new ownership group.

Hopefully they get their crap together so it's cool to wear the stuff because they're a winner, not just because it looks cool.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Here's the question:
Are the new Marlins a Black team, or a Red and Blue team?

My answer is yes.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

5 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

2003_detail.jpg

The funny thing is, that black alt was my favorite part of that set. I loved the silver script. It was the black pinstripes on the home and the lack of any other hat color that I didn't care for.

Archived