Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

kCadjiz.jpg

Sure, it would help to be able to see the entire cap and on someone's head, but I cannot imagine that really changing much in the end.

Yes it would help.

Because until we’ve seen it in context, we haven’t seen it in context.

In the abstract, the Brewers’ blue-on-blue logo shouldn’t work.  The Angels’ red-on-red logo shouldn’t work.  But they both do, and they do so brilliantly.  It’s tempting to leap to judgments (hell, it’s practically required in this hobby), but we won’t actually know if the Marlins’ potential black-on-black logo works until we actually see it.

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

All of this indicates a look that is heavily monochromatic, black on black. I don't think that bears any similarities with any of the teams you are mentioning there, strictly speaking. None of those teams have primary or cap logos that are black on black. 

If it’s anything like Pittsburgh’s 2016 batting practice hat, it’ll look great. Almost like a neon sign, which works for Miami.

https://www.mlbshop.com/pittsburgh-pirates/mens-pittsburgh-pirates-new-era-black-game-diamond-era-59fifty-fitted-hat/t-14908802+p-3579634777347+z-9-1557944020

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

If it’s anything like Pittsburgh’s 2016 batting practice hat, it’ll look great. Almost like a neon sign, which works for Miami.

https://www.mlbshop.com/pittsburgh-pirates/mens-pittsburgh-pirates-new-era-black-game-diamond-era-59fifty-fitted-hat/t-14908802+p-3579634777347+z-9-1557944020

Good point here. 

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

IMO this look is not nearly as attractive as having solid yellow/gold logos would be:

615px-Josh_Bell_in_2017_(35110079946).jp

mccutchen.jpg

4 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Not the best quality, I admit, but I think this is certainly enough to be able to judge how the mostly black logo looks on a black cap:

kCadjiz.jpg

Sure, it would help to be able to see the entire cap and on someone's head, but I cannot imagine that really changing much in the end.

This logo is growing on me

I think I'd like it more against black if the fish wasn't black.  The M is fine, but something should *sigh* "pop" more, and IMO it should be the mascot.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think I'd like it more against black if the fish wasn't black.  The M is fine, but something should *sigh* "pop" more, and IMO it should be the mascot.

I tried mocking this up on paper and it doesn't work as good as people think it would. The fish isn't detailed enough to work with more colors, it's meant to be in darkness.

I'm more and more believing that all these ideas we would like to put in there were already attempted by the design team and that whatever we're gonna get truly is the best possible solution within the limits that they've put on themselves. 

Just now, Marlins93 said:

And what might those be?

Wanting it to represent Miami nightlife... vibrant colors in darkness... just like the images the team has released where all the buildings are black and accented in bright blue.

I've said before my reaction to the cap logo is that it's supposed to look like a marlin jumping out of the water at night and the only light that you see is the colorful lights of the city reflecting off the fish.

If that's what they have in mind then those are the limits they've set for themselves so in that case they can't make the fish fully detailed and fully colored.

17 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Wanting it to represent Miami nightlife... vibrant colors in darkness... just like the images the team has released where all the buildings are black and accented in bright blue.

I've said before my reaction to the cap logo is that it's supposed to look like a marlin jumping out of the water at night and the only light that you see is the colorful lights of the city reflecting off the fish.

If that's what they have in mind then those are the limits they've set for themselves so in that case they can't make the fish fully detailed and fully colored.

I do think that an Ocean Drive at night vibe is an interesting concept and clearly what they're going for. The main problem that the design team will be presented with is that when one (at least me) thinks of neon or other city lights, you are reminded of soft, almost hazy edges. I believe it was you who posted those cap images for the 2017 ASG that were seeking to replicate neon signs. I thought those were pretty cool looking, but if I'm not mistaken, those were just photoshopped concepts and never actually produced. In fact, I don't know how anyone could actually pull those off with any kind of embroidery material. The potential challenge they must overcome then is ensuring that the contours don't look too hard-edged. 

The Pirates cap a few posts above looks very flat IMO. However, I think that the cap that comes closest to replicating a neon look is actually the current Marlins BP version. I don't know if it's been acknowledged at all in this thread yet (I don't recall). I'm sure many of you would disagree, but I think this cap is much better than the gameday version. I'd love to see a version with blue/teal being the dominant color.

ff_2731548alt1_full.jpg&w=900

23 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yes it would help.

Because until we’ve seen it in context, we haven’t seen it in context.

In the abstract, the Brewers’ blue-on-blue logo shouldn’t work.  The Angels’ red-on-red logo shouldn’t work.  But they both do, and they do so brilliantly.  It’s tempting to leap to judgments (hell, it’s practically required in this hobby), but we won’t actually know if the Marlins’ potential black-on-black logo works until we actually see it.

Can confirm just the Marlin is raised on the official cap. Blue New Era Logo. No I won't share pictures anyone- trusted w this. However, the logo above IS the logo. All Black Cap.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Also, from looking at the colors on the cap- I'd say the blue is a little more tealish, the red a little pinkish red. A hint of silver on the mouth, belly and bottom of Marlin.

The Blue I THINK can be stretched to be an updated bluer- teal from 1993, and maybe even introduce the teal throwbacks where it doesn't really look like the mishmash of eras the Diamnondbacks have.

The Redish Pink I THINK can be stretched to be an updated / more miami take on the RED ORANGE from 2012.
The Silver can be a nod to the 2003- 2011 and the SIlver Marlins crest they won the WS in.

All Black cap is a nod to every era of Marlins baseball.

Hell, Maybe this nightlife thing is because the Marlins are finally old enough to get into a club!

I like the cap and colors. It stands out and will make a difference in marketing I think. The fact it looks close to the original teal but a modern twist might help. The Blue BP mentioned before is starting to remind me of the 1993 or 1998 BP jerseys.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

28 minutes ago, tubby34 said:

Hell, Maybe this nightlife thing is because the Marlins are finally old enough to get into a club!

This is hilarious. 

Also yea I wonder if they'll try and say the blue color is a nod to the teal even though it's not the same shade. Arizona did it with their last rebrand so it's possible. 

Lemme see if I can PR it...

"Blue is the color of the ocean, which Miami borders. But it also represents the sky, because with the Marlins, the sky's the limit."

"Black is the color of the night sky and the night life that Miami is well known for. But make no mistake, black also means business. And the Marlins are all about business on the playing field."

I can't even continue with this.

Looks very close to the Carolina Panthers blue, which isn’t a bad thing... that’s a good thing. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived