Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

Overall, I'd say this is a decent rebranding. But I agree with a lot of people it didn't really go far enough:

• There should have been some piping around the collar to balance the piping on the sleeves. Piping going down the entire uniform front (creating the so-called "headspoon") would have been alright with me.
  • I really wish the cap had a black crown with a blue squatchee and brim. Would have been somewhat unique and again, offered some nice balance.
  • I saw that edit where someone tilted the scripts. I think it looks really nice, wish they did that.
  • I agree the blue alternate should have a front number to balance out the logo.

I actually really like the logos. Like the Blue Jays logo, the digital copies don't show the raised embroidery. Seeing the close-ups of the uniforms and the logos with the stitching makes them look much better than they initially appeared. Who knows, maybe a couple years down the road, we'll see some minor improvements.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I'm not a fan of the uniforms.  The blue (BP?) one is the only one that had/has potential.  These are just so underwhelming.  The black jersey specifically is so dull.  Something about that cursive puts me to sleep.  

They did their whole #ourcolores campaign, these uniforms don't ooze colorful to me. 

I think they are good for a traditional sport like baseball: good colors, simple but still with some uniqueness going for them with the Miami at night vibe going. For those wanting to see something more, just wait until Players Weekend. I think that's a good time for teams to experiment but day-to-day I appreciate the more classic look the Marlins went with.

36 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

He also said the teal would still be available in retail options. 

I would be content if they cycled through various iterations of the 1993-2002 uniforms every now and then during home games like the Diamondbacks do. It would be cool if they sold some throwback merchandise too because I don't envision myself buying anything from the new rebrand any time soon.

I'm pretty confident that they will give this new look a facelift/soft rebrand within a few years, because it's just way too black. I bet a colored cap will enter into the rotation and they might inject the logos and wordmarks with more color down the road too. The actual colors are good but they are just too underutilized right now.

What's frustrating for me is that what they are doing has potential. They just need to rethink the nightlife vibe or whatever they call it.

13 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I'm pretty confident that they will give this new look a facelift/soft rebrand within a few years, because it's just way too black.

Yea don't call it a soft rebrand but most teams give their looks some changes here and there after seeing everything in action and getting fan feedback so I'm pretty confident at that point we'll get more blue in the caps, and a little more color in the jerseys.

Anyone remember when the Dbacks made this small upgrade to the names and numbers on their road unis? I absolutely see this happening to the Marlins sooner rather than later.

Arizona-Diamondbacks-New-Uniforms-2017.jpgDBacks New Name 2017

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

The addiction to black really limits this design. Why not build this set around the blue? I'm not from there, but when I think of Miami I picture bright and vivid colors.

The blue is bright and vivid. The black is dour.

All in all, these are fine. Could've been better, but not bad.

(Can we please refrain from using BFBS when black is a primary team color? Say what you want about these, but it isn't BFBS. I have a beef with that term anyway since black is a design choice, but that's another debate for another day.)

I wonder whether I can think of another uniform set where this post applies.  Oh yeah, the set the Marlins just ditched.

I was pretty well warmed up to the previous look and felt like all they really needed to do was de-emphasize black and it would have been solid. It took me a while to get there and now I have to start all over.  I am not a fan of this "Miami" color scheme that seems to be trending (as seen in one of the Heat's alts).

My gut reaction is "downgrade" but maybe I'll warm up to these, too.  But the point of this post remains, either way; more blue and less black!

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yea don't call it a soft rebrand but most teams give their looks some changes here and there after seeing everything in action and getting fan feedback so I'm pretty confident at that point we'll get more blue in the caps, and a little more color in the jerseys.

Anyone remember when the Dbacks made this small upgrade to the names and numbers on their road unis? I absolutely see this happening to the Marlins sooner rather than later.

Arizona-Diamondbacks-New-Uniforms-2017.jpgDBacks New Name 2017

Leave it to Rob Lowe to have the most correct take on this joke of a uniform

https://twitter.com/RobLowe/status/719999104453988357

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Not sure what I think overall. There are some things I like such as the blue color and the M is alright but there is way too much black. I'm not really a fan of black being used for Miami in general though so I felt that way going in. Then again, the Heat do use it so there is some symmetry between the Miami teams, but regardless it's still being overused here.  

I have a feeling we're going to analyze this look to death...but since we're here, I might as well add my insignificant opinion to the fray.

Compare the black Marlins jersey to the Heat's black Vice jerseys (let's be honest, this comparison will be made a LOT.) The Heat's jersey didn't go black-on-black; they made the text/number colors bright and vibrant. Imagine how hard it's going to be for people in the cheap seats to see the Marlins' names and numbers!

(Then again it is the Marlins, technically behind the plate counts as the cheap seats.)

All the Marlins have to do is make the scripts on the black jerseys/hats white or blue and this look would improve 1000%.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

Overall this is not a downgrade even with all it's faults because people overwhelmingly love the color scheme and the logos. As for the uniforms most of it's faults are things that "people like us" would like to change or tweak or improve but the majority of fans will love these. So in that case definite upgrade in my eyes. Remember, our perception here is very different than public perception and people aren't laughing or making fun of this rebrand the way they did about the 2012 rebrand.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

A team representative says the blue jersey is for BP. That must be why it's so devoid of patches and other details. If so they need to add a blue jersey with the Marlins wordmark as an alternate. 

wow, makes the whole thing even worse  💩

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

A team representative says the blue jersey is for BP. That must be why it's so devoid of patches and other details. If so they need to add a blue jersey with the Marlins wordmark as an alternate. 

That is what is mind boggling about the new look. They incorporate vibrant colors but use them more as trim. There is almost less color on these than the predominantly black Florida Marlins look in the 2000s. But, I know, I know, "neon lights in a Miami night sky".

15 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's just very disappointing that that's true.

Archived