Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

3 minutes ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

Have we seen a shot of the pants yet? Are there stripes or are they plain white/gray?

Ha! I just went through the trouble of resetting my password so I could ask this question. Feels like the same striping as on the sleeve cuffs going down the legs would go a long way towards making these more colorful. But since we haven’t seen a side shot yet, I’m assuming the pants are just plain white and there’s no reason to show them from that angle. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

He said he's still going to wear his orange one for now.

The new blue one won't stick out enough I'm guessing.  I haven't seen him comment anything about this rebrand on his fb yet. 

Why is “slate” gray always tinted blue? Not just here, but in pretty much any context? I ordered “slate gray” curtains that were basically blue, and have seen slate paint that’s bluish. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't mind the overall look. It's kinda grown on me. I do think there's too much black. But, I am extremely underwhelmed with the blue jerseys and I don't think the cap logo really works well ... at all on the jersey.

Some have suggested a front number? Mmmm ... I don't think that'd help? I would rather like to see Miami or Marlins on the front like the other three jerseys. 

fl-sp-marlins-new-logo-20181115

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

18 minutes ago, kimball said:

But, I am extremely underwhelmed with the blue jerseys and I don't think the cap logo really works well ... at all on the jersey.

Some have suggested a front number? Mmmm ... I don't think that'd help? I would rather like to see Miami or Marlins on the front like the other three jerseys. 

gXnKMEO.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I just asked Santa (a/k/a Mrs. Knife) for the white "Miami" jersey as a Christmas present.  I'm a fast-approaching 50 year old man who hasn't worn a baseball jersey of any kind in maybe 20 years, but that one looks so damned good to me?  I can't resist.

The rest of the entire set?  Meh...  But that white "Miami" jersey pops with its simplicity.  I love it.

nav-logo.png

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Why is “slate” gray always tinted blue? Not just here, but in pretty much any context? I ordered “slate gray” curtains that were basically blue, and have seen slate paint that’s bluish. 

the color slate gray has this descriptrion on Wikipedia.

Slate gray is a gray color with a slight azure tinge that is a representation of the average color of the material slate. As a tertiary color, slate is an equal mix of purple and green pigments.

The stone "slate" itself lends to this as a color description:

Slate is frequently grey in color, especially when seen, en masse, covering roofs. However, slate occurs in a variety of colors even from a single locality; for example, slate from North Wales can be found in many shades of grey, from pale to dark, and may also be purple, green or cyan

For whoever cares, Marlins Man said he's not so sure about these jerseys and that he'll continue to wear the orange for another year and then think about it again a year from now and he says these uniforms show how little the Marlins care about baseball traditions. 

...of course because that orange jersey and logos he wears are oh so steeped in baseball traditions right? Whatever you think of these new jerseys I don't know how anyone can call them less traditional than the last ones.  

The cap logo is pretty good.  But I have several complaints:

• The multi-coloured shadows on the lettering make me think that I should be wearing 3-D glasses. 
  • The use of black is as ugly as it had been in the previous set.
  • The home jersey should have the nickname.
  • Both jerseys badly need a front number.

The correct move would have been to go back to the original 1993 set, with an M cap instead of an F cap.  That shade of teal is, was, and ever shall be the quintessential Miami colour.  This move would have been universally applauded.  Jeter could have stood next to Jeff Conine and Benito Santiago, and could have announced that he was bringing the team back to its roots.  

The flaws in this new uniform are exacerbated by the enormous missed opportunity to earn some goodwill from a city that deeply distrusts the team's current ownership.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Cap -

• would really benefit from a white keyline.  It's just going to look black from afar.  It's a nice cap logo, but just won't be visible enough unless that blue is really bright in person.

Blue jersey -

• I hate hate hate how teams seem to be designing their alts the way BP jerseys used to be.  As others have said, it needs piping or trim or something to make it look like something other than the old-style mesh warmups.
  •   As good as that logo looks on a cap, it just doesn't work as a chest mark.  I don't like the fish jumping away from the player, and I don't think "fancy" logos work in that capacity.  Look at the classic designs that stood the test of time - Yankees, Tigers, 70s-91 Phillies (not that much time, but still), Reds - they were all "simple".  Not counting Cleveland's because I hate mascots on jerseys.
  • I don't care for the black on blue. It's not the worst thing in the world, but if they had the mark available in other colors for different applications, maybe that would work better.
  • Back to bullet 2 - "Marlins" should be the wordmark on this one.  No doubts.

Black jersey

• Too black.  It's just so... black.  The numbers will be very hard to read, but the NOB?  Fuhgetaboutit.
  • The trim is nice, but I'd rather it be heavier and even more noticeable.  It's just so... so... black.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That red just looks so orange and it's messing with my mind.

I want to like these uniforms a lot...but it seems like there's a lot that could be improved.

It's like drinking Coke Zero for the first time.

Solid B/B+ look so far.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The jersey in the instagram post will be completely illegible when you're not standing right behind it. NON. FUNCTIONAL.

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Black jersey

• Too black.  It's just so... black.

I LIKE CONTRAST AND I CANNOT LIE

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I love all of it. I just love the colors and even the black on black works.

So much better than the trash they were wearing before. I despised the set it's replacing (especially the logo) though so that could be why I like these so much. But I'd like them in a vacuum too.

There's a few tweaks I'd make here or there but this is a solid 8.5-9/10 re-design. Modern enough but also kept up with baseball traditions without being bland like the Padres or whatever that mess in Arizona is.

54 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The correct move would have been to go back to the original 1993 set, with an M cap instead of an F cap.  That shade of teal is, was, and ever shall be the quintessential Miami colour.  This move would have been universally applauded.  Jeter could have stood next to Jeff Conine and Benito Santiago, and could have announced that he was bringing the team back to its roots.  

Many people would also call that lazy and taking the easy way out. To say it's the correct move and would have been universally applauded is debatable. 

Archived