Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/18/2018 at 1:12 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

You absolutely have the right to say whatever you want, I'm not stopping you. But you're also making assumptions on Jeter and his ownership of the team 13 months into his run and based off what the previous owners did. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Jeter wanting to rebrand the team with a new identity, the fact that there were 2 identities before him isn't his fault. You're assuming this is a distraction from the on field product and I find that laughable. His plan now is for this to be the longterm definitive identity and the one that becomes associated with stability, success, and not making the mistakes that previous owners made. Give the guy a chance before you make ignorant assumptions.

Okay okay .... but i doubt it will be on these jerseys we will see a World Series patch,  if that happens i will buy you a beer.

As a matter of fact, forget the jersey, if they win a WS with Jeter i will get you something, it will probably have to be a hearing aid or a walking cane,  deal?  😀

8 minutes ago, skip88 said:

Even though they ripped of 99% of the Heat's new look, okay then..... 

The only thing ripped off is the black.  The blue nor red are the same, and the script is different.

----

How do you feel about Pittsburgh's teams?  They ripped each other off!  Identical colors!  Crazy!

I don't see a problem with a city's teams having similar themes/colors.

The Miami script the Heat used is the old Miami Arena script:

Image result for miami arena

20 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

No offense, but that's painful to look at, even in such a small form.  Holy pink pinstripes, Batman!

Well then, I succeeded! 😉

Huizenga would probably have done it, but had to be talked down by MLB Properties. Teams were all-in on the “let’s look like those new White Sox uniforms, but *insert difference here*!” Pink pinstripes might have happened (the Phillies sublimated scarlet pinstripes read as pink-ish in some lighting conditions), just like with teal and purple.

39 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

You do know the seal of Pittsburgh is black and gold right?3IoTO90V_400x400.jpg

Ok?  And?  All three teams still use the same colors......meanwhile, you're criticizing the Marlins for using 1 of three of the same colors - the one shared one being a neutral color: black.

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Ok?  And?  All three teams still use the same colors......meanwhile, you're criticizing the Marlins for using 1 of three of the same colors - the one shared one being a neutral color: black.

Right. They're similar in the same way the original Marlins set and Dolphins were similar with teal, but not the exact same scheme.  Seattle sports obviously draw from the same inspiration with the blue/green/teal, but they aren't exactly the same.

The point is the Heat did a better job at implementing those colors that are obviously drawn from the same inspiration. They don't have to be the exact same colors. The Marlins' blue is already slightly darker, and the pink doesn't have to be as bright. They just could've done a better job with what they were going for.

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

The only thing ripped off is the black.  The blue nor red are the same, and the script is different.

----

How do you feel about Pittsburgh's teams?  They ripped each other off!  Identical colors!  Crazy!

I don't see a problem with a city's teams having similar themes/colors.

The Miami script the Heat used is the old Miami Arena script:

uhh, this move comes one year after the heat introduced this jersey in a white version. it is a clear rip off,  the colors are very very similar

On 11/18/2018 at 10:30 AM, SFGiants58 said:

I don’t mind the ‘77-‘82 set too much. I’ve always liked that script and the orange-billed cap. The problem was being too colorful with the orange and black jerseys.

Giants-Jack-Clark.gif

aaiq076.jpg

Willie-McCovey-Stretch-Giants-Throwback-

Yes, orange sanitaries and white cleats. Ugh. At least the first version had a half-decent attempt to match home and road wordmarks.

The 1983-93 set, due to how much the font deviated from the team’s history and the awful number font (which stuck around until 1999), is always the worst for me.

williams_matt_giants_asce1nrs_rodxz1iv.j

The font is especially nasty when seen in this context:

PGS0lPo.png

ScreenShot2011-11-10at015600AM-1.png

There’s probably a similar “San Jose” (sin acento, porque gringos) or “Santa Clara” prototype collecting dust somewhere after the stadium referendum (thankfully) bombed. The ‘94-‘99 set was an upgrade, while the 2000-2011 uniforms were the best the team has ever had.

For me I loved that 83-93 Giants set. Never been a huge fan of the prior orange and black top set. As far as a San Jose prototype not sure on that, but I believe the little giants wore the same Style jersey's at the time. I even think there's a San Jose top in that style hanging in the clubhouse and municipal stadium. Can't remember for certain, its been 10+ years since I worked in the CAL league.

Teams in the same city can have similar color schemes and similar themes but still be very different.

The more I look at both teams I don't think the Marlins and Heat are doing the exact same thing at all. They're actually doing two different themes that happen to have similarities because... wait for it... because they're in the same city. Comparing them as if they're identical muddles up what we expect of the two looks. It also must be clarified that the Miami Heat's Vice uniforms are only a special event alternate look... their true identity and colors scheme is still of a literal fireball of heat in red, yellow, and black.

The Heat are doing a Miami Vice TV show color scheme based off the aesthetics of the old Miami Arena in the late 1980's. This... Image result for miami arena old

The Marlins are doing a present day Miami nightlife neon lights theme... nothing to do with the 1980's. This...

Image result for south beach night

Compare the two images... there is virtually zero black in the top pic and a ton of black in the bottom pic. That's an enormous difference in the two looks.

Is it not possible that the Marlins are not trying to do what the Heat are doing and thus the aesthetics that they've chosen are appropriate for the identity that they want to represent?

Archived