Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

10 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Teams in the same city can have similar color schemes and similar themes but still be very different.

The more I look at both teams I don't think the Marlins and Heat are doing the exact same thing at all. They're actually doing two different themes that happen to have similarities because... wait for it... because they're in the same city. Comparing them as if they're identical muddles up what we expect of the two looks. It also must be clarified that the Miami Heat's Vice uniforms are only a special event alternate look... their true identity and colors scheme is still of a literal fireball of heat in red, yellow, and black.

The Heat are doing a Miami Vice TV show color scheme based off the aesthetics of the old Miami Arena in the late 1980's. This... Image result for miami arena old

The Marlins are doing a present day Miami nightlife neon lights theme... nothing to do with the 1980's. This...

Image result for south beach night

Compare the two images... there is virtually zero black in the top pic and a ton of black in the bottom pic. That's an enormous difference in the two looks.

Is it not possible that the Marlins are not trying to do what the Heat are doing and thus the aesthetics that they've chosen are appropriate for the identity that they want to represent?

I agree with just about everything you said. My only issue is the heavy ratio of black used. The vibrant colors should have way more presence. It's clearly the more interesting part of the uniform, not the black night sky. The uniform looks like you're staring at Miami through an airplane window, as opposed to up close like in these pics:

Related imageRelated image

Instead we get something that looks like a typical corner store neon sign found anywhere in the US:

Related image

6 hours ago, Digby said:

It is wild to me that the only thing most people seem to know about Miami is a 30-year-old TV show.

But that classic TV show was a good representative of Miami and it's style, and was one of the main ways most Americans were able to get a good glimpse of it back then. That's why people always make the connection.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, daveindc said:

I agree with just about everything you said. My only issue is the heavy ratio of black used.

Questioning how the Marlins executed their design are fine... that's what these boards are all about. I was just bringing up the point that comparing the Marlins look to the Heat isn't exactly fair. I don't wanna say it's comparing apples to oranges but it's a bit like comparing apple sauce to apple juice. 

21 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Questioning how the Marlins executed their design are fine... that's what these boards are all about. I was just bringing up the point that comparing the Marlins look to the Heat isn't exactly fair. I don't wanna say it's comparing apples to oranges but it's a bit like comparing apple sauce to apple juice. 

It is very fair, especially since the Marlins switched only a year or 2 after the Heat introduced their new uniforms with the same look. 

these were the ones the Marlins should have switched back to:

fl-reg-marlins-teal-time-20180605

Marlins-1993-Throwback-Uniform-2018.jpg

what a great logo, what a great  jersey, what a great cap!

56 minutes ago, skip88 said:

It is very fair, especially since the Marlins switched only a year or 2 after the Heat introduced their new uniforms with the same look

You conveniently ignored my entire post where I thoroughly explained why the Marlins and Heat don't actually have what you think is the same look.

Here it is summed up in case you need it again: The Miami Marlins are not doing a Miami Vice theme. There is no pink, there is no teal, there is no inspiration from the 1980s. They are doing something different. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I think it’s perfectly fair. You can try and insist the influences are different, but in the end? Both looks are referencing the same Miami neon nightlife look. That the Heat are referencing a specific building in that style while the Marlins are referencing the general idea is almost immaterial because the core concept is the same.

And fans will never struggle to see that “Miami” wordmark on that Heat jersey. Or that logo on the shorts. The neon colours are bold and pop against the black base.

Whereas the Marlins used black script with too-thin keylines of colour that don’t have the intended pop effect unless under very specific lighting conditions (note: game conditions are not the specific lighting conditions). 

The results of the Marlins’ crack at the concept are underwhelming. The home and road look features primarily black logos and wordmarks on white and grey bases, whereas the black alternate has a black wordmark on a black base. 

A far cry from the Heat’s willingness to use bold colours. 

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Marlins spring training cap:DseW3EIWkAAq6VY.jpg

I wonder how the new logo would look with a smaller, complete baseball in the center. Behind the body, and in front of the top fin of the tail. Basically the fish swimming around ball. They tried to get to fancy with it, and it just ended up looking wrong. This cap does look sharp though.

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I think it’s perfectly fair. You can try and insist the influences are different, but in the end? Both looks are referencing the same Miami neon nightlife look. That the Heat are referencing a specific building in that style while the Marlins are referencing the general idea is almost immaterial because the core concept is the same.

And fans will never struggle to see that “Miami” wordmark on that Heat jersey. Or that logo on the shorts. The neon colours are bold and pop against the black base.

Whereas the Marlins used black script with too-thin keylines of colour that don’t have the intended pop effect unless under very specific lighting conditions (note: game conditions are not the specific lighting conditions). 

The results of the Marlins’ crack at the concept are underwhelming. The home and road look features primarily black logos and wordmarks on white and grey bases, whereas the black alternate has a black wordmark on a black base. 

A far cry from the Heat’s willingness to use bold colours. 

As I've said before you can question the Marlins design choices all you want... but the two identities are not the same. The Marlins are not doing an 80s inspired Miami Vice theme. Who cares what the Heat have done when discussing what the Marlins have done? 

8 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

As I've said before you can question the Marlins design choices all you want... but the two identities are not the same. The Marlins are not doing an 80s inspired Miami Vice theme. Who cares what the Heat have done when discussing what the Marlins have done? 

Well, let's be honest. The fact that they came up with these colors at this time is not accidental whether you want to acknowledge it or not... It is rather understandable that people are kinda linking these two when discussing about it. If we were on a baseball forum fine but this is a sports aesthetics board and people can certainly point the similarities and timing which are rather obvious despite the differences in the tone of the accent colors...

1 hour ago, jp1409 said:

Well, let's be honest. The fact that they came up with these colors at this time is not accidental whether you want to acknowledge it or not... 

Yes. 

Because they are good colors for Miami. 

Whether you want to acknowledge that or not.  :P 

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yes. 

Because they are good colors for Miami. 

Whether you want to acknowledge that or not.  :P 

I sure know but saying this is pure coincidence is like saying the Big King was designed from the scratch by the folks at Burger King...

15 hours ago, skip88 said:

It is very fair, especially since the Marlins switched only a year or 2 after the Heat introduced their new uniforms with the same look. 

these were the ones the Marlins should have switched back to:

Marlins-1993-Throwback-Uniform-2018.jpg

what a great logo, what a great  jersey, what a great cap!

Best look they ever had, IMO.

I don’t think this really needs to be pointed out, but....

7tHYmvr.jpgxmWrKqx.jpg

The teams don’t even use the same colors, just kind of similar colors. 

Continue on with our regularly scheduled debates about who invented a color scheme

2 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Well, let's be honest. The fact that they came up with these colors at this time is not accidental whether you want to acknowledge it or not...

They're not the same colors. Teal and pink... black, blue, and red. 

Do the Yankees and Mets use the same colors? Do we compare the Yankees and Mets aesthetics to each other? How about the Cubs and White Sox? 

Archived